Philips Fidelio X2?!
May 31, 2020 at 9:38 AM Post #14,117 of 15,268
Ended up picking up a pair of X2HR -- and I just don't see myself using it over my Elex and HD6xx, unfortunately. The bass wasn't impressive and the detail is lacking to me, both which I like better on my HD6xx. And they're just not as dynamic, punchy, and fun as my Elex (granted the price difference). Bummer!
I also have the hd650, modded, but i hear details in the xr2 hr that i don't hear in the hd650. I also still like some other things of the hd650, but overall the fidelio xr2 hr isn't a bad headphone.

There are a lot of mods for the hd650's. I don't see them as much for the xr2? Can't a better plug and better cable improve on things?

May 31, 2020 at 1:14 PM Post #14,119 of 15,268

I gave that mod a try. Flattens the bass hump nicely. The only downside for me was that the lessened bass boost didn't mask the sibilance as much. Think "Seventh Son of a Seventh Son". I found the sibilance quite prominent with the mod, not so much without it (still very there, but that'd be a recording issue). I didn't try making the high-end filter though…

Jun 2, 2020 at 6:06 PM Post #14,120 of 15,268
I gave that mod a try. Flattens the bass hump nicely. The only downside for me was that the lessened bass boost didn't mask the sibilance as much. Think "Seventh Son of a Seventh Son". I found the sibilance quite prominent with the mod, not so much without it (still very there, but that'd be a recording issue). I didn't try making the high-end filter though…
I don't have that problem on a good headphone amplifier. It's more prominent when run from a pc.

Also, bass reproduction is dependant of the musical piece used. Some songs are perfect whilst some others have bloated bass, so it's recording dependant.

Jun 5, 2020 at 3:04 PM Post #14,121 of 15,268
Just got a pair of x2hr am a fidelio x1 owner and an hd 650
First thing i noticed was they are much lighter, when i grabbed the box i thought the box was empty
Mid range is slightly more forward and a bit more sparkly treble other than that they are very close

soundstage i'd say is ever ever so slightly less than the x1 it's barely noticeable
they sit on my head a bit less comfortable than the x1 the pads feel slightly smaller even though they are not (i put this down to pad wear and lack there of)

Overall I'd say identical to x1 but with a bit more of a crispness to the sound more tightness and timbre but still not too harsh the sparkle isn't ott at all.

Perfect if you didn't like the slightly recessed mids and rolled off treble of the x1 I personally don't mind that

Great all rounders for music gaming movies and if you don't have an amp especially a bargain, as other headphones in this price range might need an amp to pull away from the x2hr.

sources schiit magni 1 xonar dx

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2020 at 3:43 AM Post #14,122 of 15,268
First thing i noticed was they are much lighter, when i grabbed the box i thought the box was empty
Mid range is slightly more forward and a bit more sparkly treble other than that they are very close

soundstage i'd say is ever ever so slightly less than the x1 it's barely noticeable
they sit on my head a bit less comfortable than the x1 the pads feel slightly smaller even though they are not (i put this down to pad wear and lack there of)

Overall I'd say identical to x1 but with a bit more of a crispness to the sound more tightness and timbre but still not too harsh the sparkle isn't ott at all.

Perfect if you didn't like the slightly recessed mids and rolled off treble of the x1 I personally don't mind that

Great all rounders for music gaming movies and if you don't have an amp especially a bargain, as other headphones in this price range might need an amp to pull away from the x2hr.

xr2hr sounds even better with an amp...

What do you think hd650 vs xr2hr? I can hear more via the xr2hr then the hd650...Although the hd650 still has some nice traits as well.
They need at least 50+ hours to burn in...

Jun 6, 2020 at 5:14 PM Post #14,123 of 15,268
I dunno about whether it is just a great all-rounder or that I am having it compliment my HD800, but the Philips Fidelio X2 has to be the best $40 that i have ever spent. There has to be the most bass that I have ever heard from something with velour ear pads and the mids and highs are still (rather) clear, just not crystal-clear. Of course, the mids are not quite as lush as the HD650 and the imaging is not quite as transparent as the HD600...but I guess that is where my HD800 comes into play. :)

Jun 6, 2020 at 6:56 PM Post #14,124 of 15,268
"What do you think hd650 vs xr2hr? "
I don't like my hd 650 that much I think the problem is I feel they need a lot of power like 300mw + at 600ohm even though they're meant to be 300ohm.
They just feel underpowered on my schiit magni amp I bought the hd 650 about 5 years back and fidelio x1 the fidelios kept the hd 650 in the box that entire time.The hd 650 I am sure come alive with more power.
I plan on getting a thx headphone amp sooner or later with better power delivery at 300 and 600ohm

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2020 at 4:22 AM Post #14,125 of 15,268
I don't like my hd 650 that much I think the problem is I feel they need a lot of power like 300mw + at 600ohm even though they're meant to be 300ohm.
They just feel underpowered on my schiit magni amp I bought the hd 650 about 5 years back and fidelio x1 the fidelios kept the hd 650 in the box that entire time.The hd 650 I am sure come alive with more power.
I plan on getting a thx headphone amp sooner or later with better power delivery at 300 and 600ohm

Fwiw I find the HD650 to be quite dull and lifeless no matter how much power I feed it......

Jun 7, 2020 at 7:07 AM Post #14,126 of 15,268

Pretty spot-on comparison. I actually find myself preferring the X1s because I find the treble on the X2s to be a little more harsh and uneven, but I can see how some would prefer the increased treble presence. Really they're almost the same headphone once you swap out the stock cable on the X1s, the differences are pretty small.

Jun 8, 2020 at 6:11 AM Post #14,128 of 15,268
Pretty spot-on comparison. I actually find myself preferring the X1s because I find the treble on the X2s to be a little more harsh and uneven, but I can see how some would prefer the increased treble presence. Really they're almost the same headphone once you swap out the stock cable on the X1s, the differences are pretty small.
With a good amp the trebble and bass is better controlled. No harshness anymore and bass is tighter.

Jun 8, 2020 at 6:14 AM Post #14,129 of 15,268
The Asus xonar stx II can drive them really well. Lots of power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back