Philips Fidelio X2?!
May 26, 2020 at 4:20 PM Post #14,101 of 15,268
I love the X2 in its respectable price category, but you are right. Bass performance between the X2 and 2C are light-years away.
The only way someone would find them comparable would be if they are using very poor amplification for the 2C.

I also think the X2 are great for the price, and very comfy, but you can't compare them with 500-1000$ headphones

Last edited:
May 26, 2020 at 4:28 PM Post #14,102 of 15,268
The only way someone would find them comparable would be if they are using very poor amplification for the 2C.

I also think the X2 are great for the price, and very comfy, but you can't compare them with 500-1000$ headphones

Besides the price disparity between these 2 headphones, they have different types of drivers: the X2 is a dynamic & the 2C is planar. So between cost & driver differences, this is clearly not an apples to apples comparison.

I currently own 3 planars, and it was 5 before I sold a couple. All 4 cost way more than the X2. One of the two I still have is the venerable LCD-2.1/pre-fazor, a progenitor of the 2C. Like pretty much every planar I've heard, this has a solid, impactful bass that is subjectively different from any dynamic: planar bass feels thick and pressurized; it hits & decays very differently from the bounce & impact of a good dynamic.

Ironically, I would pick the far cheaper X2 over any Audeze as a day-to-day headphone. It's more comfortable & sounds pretty the same no matter what music you throw at it.

I'm hard pressed to come up with another dynamic design in the $200-$250 range that even comes close to the X2 in overall sound quality.

(I like a somewhat warm, friendly headphone sound, so the X2's tuning is perfect for me--not the case for everyone else, I know)

Last edited:
May 26, 2020 at 4:42 PM Post #14,103 of 15,268
Besides the price disparity between these 2 headphones, they have different types of drivers: the X2 is a dynamic & the 2C is planar. So between cost & driver differences, this is clearly not an apples to apples comparison.

I currently own 2 planars, and it was 4 before I sold a couple. All 4 cost way more than the X2. One of the two I still have is the venerable LCD-2.1/pre-fazor, a progenitor of the 2C. Like pretty much every planar I've heard, this has a solid, impactful bass that is subjectively different from any dynamic: planar bass feels thick and pressurized; it hits & decays very differently from the bounce & impact of a good dynamic.

Ironically, I would pick the far cheaper X2 over any Audeze as a day-to-day headphone. It's more comfortable & sounds pretty the same no matter what music you throw at it.

I'm hard pressed to come up with another dynamic design in the $200-$250 range that even comes close to the X2 in overall sound quality.

(I like a somewhat warm, friendly headphone sound, so the X2's tuning is perfect for me--not the case for everyone else, I know)
Totally agree. I also enjoy a similar signature and I find myself reaching for the X2 without really even pondering "hmm, what should I grab?". The price makes them an even better get.

Last edited:
May 26, 2020 at 5:15 PM Post #14,104 of 15,268

I currently own 2 planars, and it was 4 before I sold a couple. All 4 cost way more than the X2. One of the two I still have is the venerable LCD-2.1/pre-fazor, a progenitor of the 2C. Like pretty much every planar I've heard, this has a solid, impactful bass that is subjectively different from any dynamic: planar bass feels thick and pressurized; it hits & decays very differently from the bounce & impact of a good dynamic.

It's funny... I don't like a warm tuning. Or a mid-bass bump. And I hate bass roll-off. I'm also pretty indifferent to soundstage width. My optimal tuning is ruler flat from 10hz to 2khz, basically only possible with a planar.

And yet, the X2 sounds absolutely amazing to me. It's one of those rare headphones that I can put on and not have to mentally calibrate to the frequency response. It's like this is what my brain wants and I can just sink into the music like my favorite chair. No music-matching required, no getting used to the shouty mids or bloomy bass, they just sound great immediately.

Moreover, the X2 is my favorite headphone for low-volume listening since it's v-shaped sound just gets more balanced and even as the volume goes down and they run great off of my DAP.

May 26, 2020 at 5:29 PM Post #14,106 of 15,268
It's funny... I don't like a warm tuning. Or a mid-bass bump. And I hate bass roll-off. I'm also pretty indifferent to soundstage width. My optimal tuning is ruler flat from 10hz to 2khz, basically only possible with a planar.

And yet, the X2 sounds absolutely amazing to me. It's one of those rare headphones that I can put on and not have to mentally calibrate to the frequency response. It's like this is what my brain wants and I can just sink into the music like my favorite chair. No music-matching required, no getting used to the shouty mids or bloomy bass, they just sound great immediately.

Moreover, the X2 is my favorite headphone for low-volume listening since it's v-shaped sound just gets more balanced and even as the volume goes down and they run great off of my DAP.

Very interesting post. I'm trying to imagine relaxing & sinking into the music with headphones the opposite of my preference...and failing. You apparently have a flexible music & sound brain-center...

Did you ever try a ZMF Eikon? It might be the dynamic that checks all your boxes (lots of sub-bass; no midbass hump, pretty flat up to 2kHz).

May 26, 2020 at 6:00 PM Post #14,107 of 15,268
Very interesting post. I'm trying to imagine relaxing & sinking into the music with headphones the opposite of my preference...and failing. You apparently have a flexible music & sound brain-center...

Did you ever try a ZMF Eikon? It might be the dynamic that checks all your boxes (lots of sub-bass; no midbass hump, pretty flat up to 2kHz).

What can I say, I'm a marvel of modern science. :laughing: Actually, I just really enjoy the novelty. Listening to a favorite album presented in a new way, even if it's not an optimal way, is something I find very rewarding. Of course, I have my favorites and I have my own idea of what neutral and ideal (two separate things) sound like, but what really makes a headphone work for me is solid technical prowess and a sound signature that seems... balanced, coherent, sensible, right... I'm not sure which word fits it best. If a headphone has that magic in its tuning, I don't care what flavor it is.

I'll have to look into the Eikon. That's the only ZMF dynamic that I haven't heard by now, as it happens. I have a suspicion that 'flat' with a big biocellulose dynamic is not going to sound quite as flat as with a planar though.

May 26, 2020 at 6:07 PM Post #14,108 of 15,268
What can I say, I'm a marvel of modern science. :laughing: Actually, I just really enjoy the novelty. Listening to a favorite album presented in a new way, even if it's not an optimal way, is something I find very rewarding. Of course, I have my favorites and I have my own idea of what neutral and ideal (two separate things) sound like, but what really makes a headphone work for me is solid technical prowess and a sound signature that seems... balanced, coherent, sensible, right... I'm not sure which word fits it best. If a headphone has that magic in its tuning, I don't care what flavor it is.

I'll have to look into the Eikon. That's the only ZMF dynamic that I haven't heard by now, as it happens. I have a suspicion that 'flat' with a big biocellulose dynamic is not going to sound quite as flat as with a planar though.
It like going to the movies with a "neutral" tuning. Time and a place, my friends, time and a place.

May 27, 2020 at 3:59 PM Post #14,109 of 15,268
Just picked up a pair of X2HR. I know a few people complained about them being unbalanced, but i think mine are okay. Is there anyway to test it though. Also, do they need burn in, and if so, how long do they need.

They sound excellent right off the bat.

Last edited:
May 30, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #14,110 of 15,268
Ended up picking up a pair of X2HR -- and I just don't see myself using it over my Elex and HD6xx, unfortunately. The bass wasn't impressive and the detail is lacking to me, both which I like better on my HD6xx. And they're just not as dynamic, punchy, and fun as my Elex (granted the price difference). Bummer!

May 30, 2020 at 12:05 PM Post #14,111 of 15,268
Ended up picking up a pair of X2HR -- and I just don't see myself using it over my Elex and HD6xx, unfortunately. The bass wasn't impressive and the detail is lacking to me, both which I like better on my HD6xx. And they're just not as dynamic, punchy, and fun as my Elex (granted the price difference). Bummer!

Well yeah, not sure why you'd get the X2s if you already have the Elex unless you just want a cheap throwaround pair of headphones

May 31, 2020 at 8:33 AM Post #14,113 of 15,268

Users who are viewing this thread

Back