[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Jan 27, 2019 at 5:11 AM Post #5,941 of 5,962
Link to review?
"not that bad" seems like You didn`t feed them with proper source gear and amping? And did You use stock hideous-high-impedance cable?
Your 50% right : my source and amping are quite good but I had to used the stock cable as it is what the customer has.
I'm very worried by stock cables, bad on most cans including the UTOPIA. sAME FOR THE hd650 with a $18 stock cable.
I would like head manufacturers to sell a combo headphone + cable of the same level.
Thanx for your interesting answer.

Jan 28, 2019 at 1:31 PM Post #5,942 of 5,962
Your 50% right : my source and amping are quite good but I had to used the stock cable as it is what the customer has.
I'm very worried by stock cables, bad on most cans including the UTOPIA. sAME FOR THE hd650 with a $18 stock cable.
I would like head manufacturers to sell a combo headphone + cable of the same level.
Thanx for your interesting answer.
And that's why all of us around here immediately ditched the stock cable....because it's terrible :D

Jan 28, 2019 at 3:38 PM Post #5,943 of 5,962
Had to review it for one of the biggest company, was not that bad but much overpriced
Care to elaborate? Does not that bad mean meh, decent, or pretty good? I don't think many people paid full retail for these, but even if they did, cost to performance ratio is better than decent or meh.

Jan 28, 2019 at 3:52 PM Post #5,944 of 5,962
Care to elaborate? Does not that bad mean meh, decent, or pretty good? I don't think many people paid full retail for these, but even if they did, cost to performance ratio is better than decent or meh.
Elaboration is a good point. And also a good point is what it cost to buy and if they're comparing to headphones at that price point now. Gotta remember that this headphone is over 6 years old. I bought my pair (which I don't have anymore) for $120-140 about a year and a half after it came out and it was a great deal compared to how other headphones sounded at the time. Especially since the mainstream fad at that time was Beats and that era of Beats couldn't hold a candle to the X1.

Jan 28, 2019 at 8:02 PM Post #5,945 of 5,962
Elaboration is a good point. And also a good point is what it cost to buy and if they're comparing to headphones at that price point now. Gotta remember that this headphone is over 6 years old. I bought my pair (which I don't have anymore) for $120-140 about a year and a half after it came out and it was a great deal compared to how other headphones sounded at the time. Especially since the mainstream fad at that time was Beats and that era of Beats couldn't hold a candle to the X1.

Good points. I had a similar issue with a similar post of his in the Nighthawks thread and I wanted clarification. It didn't end well and posts were deleted.

Anyway, the X1's are awesome.

Jan 29, 2019 at 11:16 AM Post #5,946 of 5,962
Good points. I had a similar issue with a similar post of his in the Nighthawks thread and I wanted clarification. It didn't end well and posts were deleted.

Anyway, the X1's are awesome.
I liked their comfort level too. It was like a nice hug :D. I will say that where I felt like they didn't do a good enough job was the size of the headband overall. I don't think my head's all that big, but I felt like anyone with a head bigger than mine would feel the size was ever so slightly small with a little more squeeze than optimal. Nice materials too other than the glued-in earpads. Obviously, since I don't have them anymore, I don't know how durable the elastic would be for its floating headband, but the headband itself was felt really premium and sturdy.

May 14, 2019 at 3:56 AM Post #5,947 of 5,962
On steroids (~2m cable, <0.100mOhm):
9940522_l.jpg

9940521_l.jpg

More information about DIY cable: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/diy...comments-thread.676402/page-588#post-14946534

Installed/replaced both 3.5mm sockets with Rean(neutrik) TRS and also inside wires that connect
driver to socket.

Last edited:
May 14, 2019 at 11:26 AM Post #5,948 of 5,962
May 14, 2019 at 11:31 AM Post #5,949 of 5,962
May 14, 2019 at 11:39 AM Post #5,950 of 5,962
I'm super confused. Maybe I missed a post a few pages back but unless I got a super rare X1, it only has 1 3.5mm output.

If you look at the Plastic around the connectors in the first image, you can see the one closest the camera is different. The further connector has the correct plastic surround to the connector and the one closest doesn't and appears to have been created by drilling in or out of the cup.

May 14, 2019 at 12:43 PM Post #5,951 of 5,962
I'm super confused. Maybe I missed a post a few pages back but unless I got a super rare X1, it only has 1 3.5mm output.
What user above said - I installed another socket by drilling hole at same place as left side originally has and also changed original left side socket with new and better one :wink:
Original socket is pretty crap PCB-mount with unplated connectors.
Also original wires going from socket to driver are pretty thin and replaced those with same wire as cable on pic has (0.04mm x 180 strands).
Btw, all R/L/G connectors through driver measure now 31.1 Ohm.

Last edited:
May 14, 2019 at 12:49 PM Post #5,952 of 5,962
If you look at the Plastic around the connectors in the first image, you can see the one closest the camera is different. The further connector has the correct plastic surround to the connector and the one closest doesn't and appears to have been created by drilling in or out of the cup.

Thanks, I just dug mine out after a couple of years since I got the Creative G6. I'll check out some of these mods.

May 14, 2019 at 1:12 PM Post #5,953 of 5,962
If You haven`t measured Your stock current cable, be sure to do that as some X1 cables had VERY bad impedance causing SQ degrading with muddiness/bloom and soft uncontrolled bass. I recommend to get low as possible impedance cable for X1 and amp it with around 400-500mA power. Long time ago I even created user measurements post to show how bad cable could be and why ppl were hearing different things: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new-philips-fidelio-x1.623013/page-289#post-10475263

Oct 12, 2019 at 12:55 PM Post #5,954 of 5,962
ive just put some beyerdynamic 880 pads on these as my original pads were completely perished and the sound has changed dramatically. Seems alot more bass. Not sure I like it. Might have to bin them and get some x2's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back