Philips Fidelio X2?!
Jul 8, 2020 at 12:43 AM Post #14,161 of 15,268
Have a x-acto knife? Use it to carefully cut out the inner fabric around the stock ear pad opening and turn your X2 into a poor-man’s HD800! Everything is clearer, the soundstage is improved, and you feel the bass impact directly onto your ears!

Also, I carefully stretched some Brainwavz oval angled sheepskin leather ear pads onto the ear cups and the bass slams even harder! Just keep the fabric on these ear pads for a more enclosed stock sound and roll out the modded driver-fabric-less stock ear pads for the analytical-yet-still-fun you always wanted! :wink:

Jul 8, 2020 at 1:09 PM Post #14,162 of 15,268
I believe there are few things better than a Fidelio X2. If instead of Philips you put Focal or Sennheiser in your box, users or customers would placidly pay no less than $1000 USD without a complaint.

The Philips Fidelio X2 is the best thing that has happened to audiophilia in years.

Since I got my X2's several years ago, I've owned a large variety of far more expensive headphones. I've had pairs ranging from £150 up to £800 and lots of in betweens. Most of them have come and gone in that time, but I've always held on to my X2's... And even bought the X2HR as backup (when they were £99 on Amazon)!

They really do take some beating, incredible value for money and great build quality. Also my favourite headphones for gaming. The X2 are enough to get addicted in to this horribly expensive never ending fantastic hobby.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2020 at 1:26 PM Post #14,163 of 15,268
Since I got my X2's several years ago, I've owned a large variety of far more expensive headphones. I've had pairs ranging from £150 up to £800 and lots of in betweens. Most of them have come and gone in that time, but I've always held on to my X2's... And even bought the X2HR as backup (when they were £99 on Amazon)!

They really do take some beating, incredible value for money and great build quality. Also my favourite headphones for gaming. The X2 are enough to get annoying in to this horribly expensive never ending fantastic hobby.
What would you say have been your favorites besides or upgrades to the X2'S?

I'm probably just gonna get the X3's in August (hopefully), but it's still very interesting to hear other's thoughts.

Jul 8, 2020 at 1:42 PM Post #14,164 of 15,268
What would you say have been your favorites besides or upgrades to the X2'S?

I'm probably just gonna get the X3's in August (hopefully), but it's still very interesting to hear other's thoughts.

I always wanted to like the Beyerdynamic headphones. But the highs in pairs like the DT 990 were so uncomfortable at times. Then I bought the Amiron Home recently (thank you Amazon for your superb refund policy), I loved them. The very next day I sold my HD660's as they sounded so average compared. Then I bought the T5P Gen 2 out of curiosity (and lockdown boredom), and loved them. Then I had the DT 1990's delivered this week... And they're superb! I held off them for so long as I didn't want to be another 1990 fanboy. But they really are excellent.

All three Beyers are staying firmly put in my collection. But out of those three, the Amiron Home and DT 1990 compliment each other so well that those are my top pick combined. Either of them are an excellent upgrade to the X2.

Can't wait to hear the X3 though!

Jul 9, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #14,166 of 15,268
I would like to see the X3 to be a reasonable price as well. I hope sound and build quality makes it worthwhile at what the expected release price would be. At 400 you can get some decent headphones used or on sale. I can probably wait for end of year or black Friday type sales for this X3.

Jul 9, 2020 at 1:42 PM Post #14,167 of 15,268
I would like to see the X3 to be a reasonable price as well. I hope sound and build quality makes it worthwhile at what the expected release price would be. At 400 you can get some decent headphones used or on sale. I can probably wait for end of year or black Friday type sales for this X3.
I wouldn't be surprised to see it at an inflated price to begin with, just like the X2HR. I suspect it would drop over the course of the year. Unless Zeos likes them... Then we'll all have to pay the price for that!

Jul 9, 2020 at 1:42 PM Post #14,168 of 15,268
Just had another listen to my X2s last night...it had been months since I last did. It was exactly the same excellent sound I remember! Amazing how musically satisfying these HPs are.

I have several headphones w/a similar sonic profile that are more expensive and do everything better. But the X2s still knock it out of the park for me.

Jul 12, 2020 at 5:56 AM Post #14,169 of 15,268
have owned my x2 hr for a looooong time now and never posted anything about them. ill start by saying I got a feeling my right and left drivers arnt exactly matched lol I also have owned and still own alot of headphones and have chance to listen to loads of headphones , and although I'm not going to sit hear and say they have all the characteristics of a 6 7 8 + hundred quid set of cans, they also arnt great at all the upper treble air /room feeling or produce all the micro details others do and isn't quite as tight and accurate as more expensive cans they also roll off both directions relatively quickly.......... BUUUUUTTT what they do are astonishing!!! absolutley insane!!! For people who like to listen to music and have fun while doing it instead of tear it to pieces analysing it (which to be fair I'm one of them analysers 🤣🤣). this is the most fun headphone at any price I've heard for genunie pure fun and enjoyment of music. any song sounds good through them I mean any. with not a reference quality sound, but an enhanced, colured, warm, detailed, incredibly wide staged , with hard transient punch and stereo imaging/separation. I'm always finding myself selling and buying new cans but can't seem to ever get rid of these. if your not looking for a reference type headphone can anyone else honestly point to better fun under say 500? especially used with ifi xcan with presence boost I'm always left with a smile on my face.
if you have both, try listen to bubbles by yosi horikawa.. the sense of width and imaging is so Stella with this track impaticular. i literally just wanted to chime in and say I love these headphones! just have a lint roller ready for those dust magnets of pads. these are brilliant headphones everyone should own alongside there expensive stuff to remind themselves it's not always about higher the price better the performance........

fidelio x3 should have nothing changed but use beryllium drivers no? would be a bit special. round of aplause philips !
" if you have both, try listen to bubbles by yosi horikawa.. the sense of width and imaging is so Stella with this track impaticular "

Thanks for the heads up. Impressive piece of music. Purchased it at Qobuz...Well and some others from Yosi Horikawa...
Amazing how you can make a nice piece of music with just the sound of falling (table tennis) balls...
The xr2's sound so nice because it sounds natural, not too analytical but almost as you hear it in person at a live performance. You don't hear that much super detail either listening to liv instruments...

Yes there are more accurate headphones, better bass, but these are just fun and superb for gaming/movie.

Best headphone out there at the moment is the Focal Clear pro?

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #14,170 of 15,268
I wouldn't be surprised to see it at an inflated price to begin with, just like the X2HR. I suspect it would drop over the course of the year. Unless Zeos likes them... Then we'll all have to pay the price for that!
I can imagine that if the reviews are positive the price will stay high for a long(er) time.
If the reviews might be negative and sales are not as aspected, then the price might drop (sooner).

Lets hope the reviews are all positive for the sound and quality...if it's good, it might be worth the higher price.

Jul 17, 2020 at 6:58 PM Post #14,172 of 15,268
I've picked up a Darkvoice with a selection of tubes, and a Schiit Jotunheim with a multibit DAC in the past week (lockdown spending spree). I've been using two pairs of headphones with them, the Beyerdynamic Amiron Home and DT 1990 Pro. Both the headphones and amps, sound fantastic. 10 minutes ago I dug out my X2's and plugged them in. They really are amazing value!

The Beyerdynamics do sound better (Amiron topping the three), but there's honestly not a huge amount in it for the difference in price. I think there's a very good reason you don't see many used Fidelio's on eBay, why would anyone want to part with them?!

Jul 17, 2020 at 7:29 PM Post #14,173 of 15,268
I've picked up a Darkvoice with a selection of tubes, and a Schiit Jotunheim with a multibit DAC in the past week (lockdown spending spree). I've been using two pairs of headphones with them, the Beyerdynamic Amiron Home and DT 1990 Pro. Both the headphones and amps, sound fantastic. 10 minutes ago I dug out my X2's and plugged them in. They really are amazing value!

The Beyerdynamics do sound better (Amiron topping the three), but there's honestly not a huge amount in it for the difference in price. I think there's a very good reason you don't see many used Fidelio's on eBay, why would anyone want to part with them?!

You’d have to pry mine from my cold dead hands. Actually, on second thought, I’ll request to be buried with mine lol

Jul 20, 2020 at 6:38 PM Post #14,175 of 15,268

Users who are viewing this thread

Back