Philips Fidelio X2 : A Review by Baycode
Sep 7, 2014 at 5:29 AM Post #151 of 1,061
  More importantly, what is the impedance of the new cable? Is it as lower than the previous?

Cable impedance is very low. I have measured it with my multimeter impedance measuring feature. But I am not an expert on these measurements so the input was given HERE in this thread.
I also compared the sound quality with a Choseal 1.8m cable (couldn't remember the model name or specs right now) and Philips cable was (even with its 3m length) was producing clearer and crisper sound.
I am too lazy to make my own cables but I have to. I have various Mogami, Canare and Silver Plated wires...

Superb review - you've covered just about everything and I love the fact you have a picture of these cans on a set of scales to show their weight - nice touch.

Great to see Philips delivering again on the success of the X1!

Thanks for taking the time and effort to produce such a thorough and enjoyable to read review
beerchug.gif

You're welcome
beerchug.gif
glad to hear that.

Sep 7, 2014 at 5:39 AM Post #152 of 1,061
  I wonder how it compares to new planar magnetics such as HE560 and Oppo PM-2.

Have no idea. But, what I hear out of this Philips (through the DV 336SE tube amp) tells me that we have a game changer here... Serious... This thing eradicated my entire collection. I can't get pleasure from the other HP's. It's very musical and technically superb    ...or may be it suited my tastes more? 

If more people buy this HP and write their impressions/reviews we will start to know if it's an universally accepted truth. I am feeling very lonely and without any support because of this. Headphonia has the Philips X2. I assume they are in the burn-in process. We'll be seeing their review with comparos with X1.

Sep 7, 2014 at 5:46 AM Post #153 of 1,061

Have no idea. But, what I hear out of this Philips (through the DV 336SE tube amp) tells me that we have a game changer here... Serious... This thing eradicated my entire collection. I can't get pleasure from the other HP's. It's very musical and technically superb    ...or may be it suited my tastes more? 

If more people buy this HP and write their impressions/reviews we will start to know if it's an universally accepted truth. I am feeling very lonely and without any support because of this. Headphonia has the Philips X2. I assume they are in the burn-in process. We'll be seeing their review with comparos with X1.

I'm hoping that too. My Hype meter is at an all time hight for these since I loved my X1 to bits.

Looking forward to trying them

Sep 7, 2014 at 12:12 PM Post #154 of 1,061
Seems like @Tyll Hertsens is joining to the party besides the Headphonia
popcorn.gif

Eager to see X1 vs X2 comparos
wink_face.gif

I have no chance to listen X1 but I am perfectly content of what I hear...

Sep 15, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #155 of 1,061
X2 is available in Germany for 299  
http://www.amazon.de/Philips-Fidelio-X2-HiFi-Kopfh%C3%B6rer-OverEar-Schwarz/dp/B00MRUPSHQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1410793309&sr=8-1&keywords=fidelio+x2
http://www.mediamarkt.de/mcs/product/PHILIPS-Fidelio-X2-00-OverEar-Kopfh%C3%B6rer,48353,460776,1479511.html?langId=-3

Sep 16, 2014 at 4:08 PM Post #157 of 1,061
  I 2nd that. I haven't heard of these. No word on an NA or Asia release? I LOVE my X1 (but did have to send my first pair back. A driver was damaged under normal listening circumstances. Philips has HORRIBLE customer service. HORRIBLE. I wish I could do double bold double caps. Amazingly Amazon replaced them for free no problem 3 months after I bought them when Phillips refused) Even still. The X1s are amazing. Will buy the X2s as soon as I get the chance. 

Edit: so seriously how do they differ from the X1s. 2nd what is the impedance of the provided cable? 3rd, is it really leather? As much as I love the X1s, it was my understanding it was fake leather. Are you telling me they are using real leather now? 

"Guarantee: Yes, provided by Philips (where available or applicable), 24 months. I always appreciate the guarantee on the audio equipments. So big applause for Philips here!"
When I "talked" to phillips, they said "no". Overall compared to other companies I have found Phillips to be the worst when it comes to customer service (compared to companies like V-moda). They are a billion dollar company that cares more about medical equipment and has long left TV and audio equipment only to recently keep one  toe in the audio dept cause they can. Don't get me wrong. They make a great headphone, but they don't care like other headphone companies. They make a good can cause they can, not because they care. If you have a problem, good luck. Maybe the X2 is an answer to all the problems with the x1s. lets hope. I love my x1s so much I will still buy them even though phillips is such a **** headphone company. 

Well in some EU countries the 24 months warranty is set by law so Philips has no merit here.

Sep 18, 2014 at 4:02 AM Post #158 of 1,061
How many times do I have to say - X1 headband uses real leather! Not that I care about it being real but it`s confirmed with my X1 and these are professional leather handicraftsman words. Period.

Sep 18, 2014 at 9:37 AM Post #159 of 1,061
Feels and smells like real leather to me too.
And if it's not, who cares. It feels and looks good anyway.
Got it a few months now and still enjoying it very much.
If someone has a problem with his headphones, it doesn't necessarily means everyone has got it.
No problems over here.

Sep 23, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #160 of 1,061
Frothing at the mouth already... haven't been on here since purchasing the X1's 2 years ago and if they keep their signature sound then I'm all in!

My headphone pilgrimage was all but completed with the X1's but unfortunately they suffered a socket blowout which I see was a problem for some others too. Will definitely have to purchase these and hope they have strengthened the internal socket so I can be at peace one more.

Sep 24, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #162 of 1,061
These look incredible, who thought Philips would be designing such an amazing line of headphones for a fair enough price. I sold my X1 due to some bass distortion but i regretted not giving them some time or trying a different amp or cable, thanks for the thread it's making for a good read with everyone's responses. 

Sep 29, 2014 at 5:46 AM Post #164 of 1,061
  How many times do I have to say - X1 headband uses real leather! Not that I care about it being real but it`s confirmed with my X1 and these are professional leather handicraftsman words. Period.

It is clearly stated that X1 uses "Genuine calf leather headband for style and durability" http://download.p4c.philips.com/files/x/x1_00/x1_00_pss_engsg.pdf

However there is no mention of leather when it comes to the X2 http://download.p4c.philips.com/files/x/x1_00/x1_00_pss_engsg.pdf

Maybe it is not real leather for the X2.

Any ideas on how the x2 are 50g lighter?

Sep 29, 2014 at 6:12 AM Post #165 of 1,061

It is clearly stated that X1 uses "Genuine calf leather headband for style and durability" http://download.p4c.philips.com/files/x/x1_00/x1_00_pss_engsg.pdf

However there is no mention of leather when it comes to the X2 http://download.p4c.philips.com/files/x/x1_00/x1_00_pss_engsg.pdf

Maybe it is not real leather for the X2.

Any ideas on how the x2 are 50g lighter?

From ifa Philips web page: http://www.ifa.philips.com/news/sound-at-home/fidelio-x2-headphones
"Constructed for durability and comfort, the X2s also exude style. The velour memory ear-pads add a premium yet elegant finishing touch. The ergonomically shaped, newly enlarged headband features a mesh hammock and a precisely machined external hinge system which is coupled with metal tubes wrapped in calf leather."

Also mentioned in this review: http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/headphones/1401247/philips-fidelio-x2-headphones-review-ears-on
"The combination of velour, stainless steel on the earcups and calf leather on the headband make the X2 feel every bit the premium pair of headphones, but Philips hasn't just concentrated on style - it has put just as much focus on sound quality."

Apprx. 50g is the cable weight. Some of the manuals and internet sites indicates it with cable and and some of them without cable...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back