Philips Fidelio X2 : A Review by Baycode
Oct 4, 2014 at 8:51 AM Post #181 of 1,061
  Thanks, but can you please clarify. You said that mobile phones etc don't "sound more special than Sansa Fuze" so I assume you mean they should be just as good? But then your suggestion to buy another small player confuses me a bit :wink:

Need more clarification, OK, no problem: Among the mobile playing solutions I have tested, I found the sound pairing/matching best with a Sansa Fuze. Normally I use Fuze rarely. But for mobile needs of X2 I use it specifically.

Other players which I tried also sounds very good (Listenable, enjoyable...). But something magically special with the sound of Fuze pairing (Rockboxed, FLAC files) for me.

With desktop equipment it sounds the best.

Oct 4, 2014 at 11:09 AM Post #184 of 1,061
I have no chance to hear K712. But I have K550/551, K701, K340, had K601 and some other AKG. I have DT150 which is extensively compared in head-fi with K712.

According to all the things I read and my listening experiences I expect X2 to be on par in some ways (with K712), better to be on the bass, soundstage depth and imaging section. Only the mid-high and high section might be a stiff competition as I may expect slightly more presence and clarity on highs with K712. But I don't want to speculate more as I have not heard the K712.

As I said on the "one of the first paragraphs" on my review, X2 eradicated my entire AKG line and I became ice cold to them now (Except K340).

It's soo sweet sounding HP.

Is X2 accurate, neutral? We may discuss. In to some degree yes, in to some degree no. But it is technically superb and clarity surprised me. Also bass is very detailed after burn-in -although not on the tight category like the DT150 bass- but very very close to it. For an open headphone it is quite hard to achieve this quality/quantity bass.

In the beginning it was very bassy. Mids were recessed a little bit. Now all the frequencies are very leveled (especially after passing 200h). Although bass is still slightly more dominant part IMO. Highs are very smooth. Never harsh or grainy for my perception.

I am putting my DT150 (closed HP) and X2 on my top of the full sized list. They are both very very good HP's.

For build quality and comfort part I can't compare X2 to anything else, it's really awesome!

Hope this helps.

(On my part, I wish to hear K712 because I really heard great things about them, especially when properly amped)

Thank you for the info, greatly appreciated.

The hard part now is that I am debating weather to get an AKG K712 or this beautiful X2 lol.

I have the X1 already and I love it, it has been doing me good so far with Music, Movies and Games. Oh the meories when I first listened to the X1...my first taste into the audiophile world.

I should feel the same when I get to listen to the X2.

Also question, how long ago was the X1 released?

And thanks again for the info

Oct 4, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #185 of 1,061

Because of this flexible character of X2, I sometimes attach my Sansa Fuze to the headband of X2 by the help of the elastic velcro bands and make my X2 completely free for moving with (when needed, only in the house).

I am really considering get the X2. Good to know the Fuze works OK with it. I have used my Rockboxed Fuze using mostly FLAC tracks, quite a bit with my X1. For portable use in the house and around the yard I like it very much. I also have used the Fuze through the LOD to drive my C5D with the X1. A nice combination as well. It is great that these Philip phones are so easyto drive!
I look forward to trying the X2. I will be bringing the Fuze and C5D  to RMAF and really hope to find the X2 there to demo.

Oct 5, 2014 at 11:38 AM Post #187 of 1,061
  Just finished reading/watching @Tyll Hertsens great review about Fidelio X2.

I wanted to share Tyll's review page  link  here and would like to thank him for his kind words about my X2 review :)

This has been a big encouragement for me because I grown watching/reading his reviews over the years.

You're welcome, mate. 

Oct 5, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #188 of 1,061

You're welcome, mate. 

read your review (watched your YouTube review too) and also read Baycode's
thanks to both of you, I'm definitely upgrading from my X1 (which will be passed to my girlfriend - she tried them today and loved it!)

I really hope the X2 is better for big heads. I'm using the X1, while comfortable, I could feel the elastic band/mesh pressing the top of my head and it's just big enough to cup my whole ear (could feel my ear lobes out of the cavity)

Oct 6, 2014 at 1:23 AM Post #189 of 1,061
thanks to both of you, I'm definitely upgrading from my X1 (which will be passed to my girlfriend - she tried them today and loved it!)

I really hope the X2 is better for big heads. I'm using the X1, while comfortable, I could feel the elastic band/mesh pressing the top of my head and it's just big enough to cup my whole ear (could feel my ear lobes out of the cavity)

Did you find after using your X1's over its time with you, that the band/mesh became not as strong and putting less pressure on your head?.

The reason why I ask this is that I tried the X1"s on my large head and found the pressure too much and could not wear them for extended times, so I returned them but I loved the sound.

In Tyll"s review he says that even though the new X2"s have a bigger headband there is still a little too much pressure from the band/mesh for his taste. So its looks like Philips are using the same band/mesh as on the X1.

Oct 6, 2014 at 7:42 AM Post #191 of 1,061
Did you find after using your X1's over its time with you, that the band/mesh became not as strong and putting less pressure on your head?.

The reason why I ask this is that I tried the X1"s on my large head and found the pressure too much and could not wear them for extended times, so I returned them but I loved the sound.

In Tyll"s review he says that even though the new X2"s have a bigger headband there is still a little too much pressure from the band/mesh for his taste. So its looks like Philips are using the same band/mesh as on the X1.

You could try this modification: http://www.head-fi.org/t/623013/new-philips-fidelio-x1/1260#post_9422466

Oct 6, 2014 at 8:03 AM Post #192 of 1,061
Oct 6, 2014 at 8:13 AM Post #193 of 1,061
I have a question though. Tyll mentions in his review that the headphone wouldn't work well with high impedance tube amp. The original review from this post mentioned that the X2 works very well with tube amps. How do we reconcile the two? My plan is to get a Bitfrost/Lyr2 setup with my X2. Will that work well?

Oct 6, 2014 at 8:42 AM Post #194 of 1,061
Thank you for the info, greatly appreciated.

The hard part now is that I am debating weather to get an AKG K712 or this beautiful X2 lol.

I have the X1 already and I love it, it has been doing me good so far with Music, Movies and Games. Oh the meories when I first listened to the X1...my first taste into the audiophile world.

I should feel the same when I get to listen to the X2.

Also question, how long ago was the X1 released?

And thanks again for the info

Decisions... decisions...  If you have enough power house to properly amp the K712 you may try it (a properly amped K712 is reported to sound excellent) just to experiment a different sound signature. If not, X2 is a much safer choice -at least for now-.  If we see some comparos between the two in the future we can start to be sure of something...

You're welcome, mate. 

beerchug.gif

You're welcome 
bigsmile_face.gif

I have a question though. Tyll mentions in his review that the headphone wouldn't work well with high impedance tube amp. The original review from this post mentioned that the X2 works very well with tube amps. How do we reconcile the two? My plan is to get a Bitfrost/Lyr2 setup with my X2. Will that work well?

If I understood correctly, Tyll's writing about the situation is a prediction from his previous knowledge (or background) (I am sorry if I misunderstood and please correct me).

I heard from numerous X1 users that tube amp sound (can't mention or remember whether they were OTL or not -ATM-) have great synergy with X1.

X2 sounds heavenly with my OTL tube amp Darkvoice 336SE. But I can't be sure if it would sound great with other OTL tube amps.

Oct 6, 2014 at 9:37 AM Post #195 of 1,061

Generally, headphones' impedance should be 8 times the output impedance of your source.  So for the Fidelio X2 which has 35 ohms impedance, the recommended amp should have 4.375 ohms output impedance or less.  OTL (Output Transformer-Less) tube amps are made to power higher impedance headphones.  The Lyr 2 is a hybrid tube/MOSFET design with output impedance: 0.7 ohms (high gain), 0.3 ohms (low gain) which should be okay with the Fidelio X2.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back