Personal BEST DAC-AMP & DONGLES discoveries thread (Best finds Reference List)
May 4, 2020 at 5:52 AM Post #226 of 328
Seems everyone had issues with D30, but I didn't get to review it in time, they replaced it with E30, which sounds great. Seems Audiosciencereviews also measured good stuff for it.

Not sure what the story was with D30 to be honest (?)
Well, D30 I received is different to the reviewed unit. The expensive SiTime oscilators are replaced with 30c no-name Chinese junk and I suspect fake opamps, as Realtek codec chip in a Sony Vaio laptop sounds better. This is what crap we can get from the authorised Topping supplier.

I suggest, you should review a portable Nobsound 8x TDA1387 DAC/HPA that costs only $42. I do promote this product, as it solved my problem with D30.

Last edited:
May 4, 2020 at 6:17 AM Post #227 of 328
I suggest, you should review a portable Nobsound 8x TDA1387 DAC/HPA that costs only $42. I do promote this product, as it solved my problem with D30.
You realize these old TDA chips are also 99% sure to be chinese re-makes? the lusya TDA1387 I had sounded like crap, the included HPA had boomy high output impedance as well

May 4, 2020 at 7:52 AM Post #228 of 328
You realize these old TDA chips are also 99% sure to be chinese re-makes? the lusya TDA1387 I had sounded like crap, the included HPA had boomy high output impedance as well
You don't say which product you refer to. Lusya had a NOS TDA1387 board, this is all I know. It didn't create any attention from a DIY community. There is a different design made by a developer named Lee. This design is copied in numbers, as it was a stuff with good ideas, see some threads on the diyaudio.com:
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/diyaudio-com-wiki/276915-tda1387-x8-nos-dac.html
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/dig...a1387-x8-dac-check-design-mod-play-music.html

There are also 4-chips versions. Most of them use an active I/F conversion which needs quality opamps, it is rare on AliExpress or Baobao. In the best case you would receive recycled opamps. If you order one, you would need to tweak to get the best results.

A Nobosund is different, it takes a minimalistic approach to make it portable and compatible with Android phones due to the low power requirements. Eight DAC chips create sufficient power to drive RCA outputs directly, so we have a passive I/V conversion, there is no danger to receive fake opamps. A headphone amp is TDA1308, which is quite decent in my opinion. It gives a real R2R sound, matching signature of the DAC, but it lacks details.

Regarding a comment on a fake DAC chip, it is nonsense. True, China is able to make copies of TDA1387 chip, but it is not worth it, as it cost 8c per piece. Cheaper is to recycle. Here is photo of my old Sound Blaster AWE card, these cards were manufactured in millions.
Creative_AWE64_CT4380.jpg

Last edited:
May 4, 2020 at 8:26 AM Post #230 of 328
Well, D30 I received is different to the reviewed unit. The expensive SiTime oscilators are replaced with 30c no-name Chinese junk and I suspect fake opamps, as Realtek codec chip in a Sony Vaio laptop sounds better. This is what crap we can get from the authorised Topping supplier.

Woah, that's interesting, I had no idea...

Jul 9, 2020 at 5:32 PM Post #233 of 328
Is this an obscure Chinese DAC/AMP??? I made a video about the Lotoo PAW S1, and it is also live now! I love this tiny DAC / AMP with a lot of power, it has 4.4mm Balanced output, and it also has an EQ! More details in the video review, along with my usual dose of memes, sass, and fun!

Jul 15, 2020 at 6:45 PM Post #234 of 328
Last edited:
Aug 27, 2020 at 11:26 PM Post #236 of 328
Got this one today from Neoteck store on Ali. Impressed. Clean and powerful, no bass cut-off on low impedance earbuds.
P00827-203543(1).jpg
Cost me some 37$. Says opa2140 opamp used.

Got a link or name for this model?

Aug 28, 2020 at 12:34 AM Post #237 of 328
Sorry man, it's unavailable now, and I can't find it. It's called something like "Neoteck HiFi Earphone Headphone Amplifier High Impedance 16-500 Omh Portable Amp Rechargeble HiFi Earphone Amplifier For iPhones
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mN2FsIR

It seems that I'm after some REALLY obscure things :slight_frown:
Same with the portable dac/amp from Proster 3C store. I was about posting some impressions, but found that I can't provide the link. But I can imagine that all this amps and dacs from both stores from the same OEM manufacturer. So if you want something really budget you can look into this.

Now that I ordered 8xtda1387 from nobsound, no wonder if it will be unavailable very soon. Same with the Xduoo XD-01, which is strangely pretty obscure now, never mind it's of famous brand. I will post impressions when I get them if someone will be interested in by then. I don't really know is it me or pandemic world or anything else.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2020 at 5:41 AM Post #239 of 328
Is that Neoteck any good to put between an X1 mk2 and the 250 ohm beyerdynamic? I'm looking for something neutrl that just adds a little oomph
Oh, I think your 250 ohm cans will be too much for this little thing. It seems so much load is for desktop setup or more pricey stuff if you want it portable. To answer such questions I use reference-audio-analyzer site, but again, you won't find really obscure stuff there. And of course, you can ask this question in your headphones' thread. Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back