Periodic Audio IEMs Mg, Ti, Be, C
Apr 17, 2017 at 4:10 PM Post #181 of 1,454
  Well, look at the price of any other beryllium IEM of this quality. The Be is cheaper by a margin. 

Can you provide examples?
thanks.

Apr 17, 2017 at 4:18 PM Post #183 of 1,454
Apr 17, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #186 of 1,454
Just got my Be, some quick impression: The most striking thing about these IEMs is their impressive sense of immediacy, kinda hard to explain, a bit similar to grado's in your face signature but not that extreme and these still have soundstages (though rather small), maybe it's a characteristic of the Beryllium diaphragm? The decay (or transient response?) seems to be very fast. Bass isn't as hard hitting head-pounding as I thought it'd be but neither the mid-bass or the extreme end are missing, it's all there. The high is quite interesting, extending satisfyingly but not screeching, it still has that satisfying 'twang' to it yet never feels irritating to me.

Packaging is very utilitarian indeed, but who cares about something you only do once (opening the package) in the entire lifetime of the product with you. All in all, they knocked it out of the park with these little bad boys, can't see myself parting with them.

Can always eq the bass in. Nothing short of sublime.

Soundstage id say averagish but they are so fun.

Apr 17, 2017 at 9:25 PM Post #189 of 1,454
Apr 17, 2017 at 10:00 PM Post #190 of 1,454

​AFAIK, the Periodic Be is currently the only IEM available that uses pure beryllium for its diaphragm material.  The Campfire Lyra II uses beryllium-coated mylar and I suspect that the Accutone Gemini HD probably does as well.

From the website:

Quote:

What’s inside is equally amazing. Powered by a
pair of high-end 8mm beryllium loudspeakers,
the Gemini HD has superb audio clarity and
responsiveness.

Of course you could be right. Just saying that these may be amazing, haven't heard them myself, but they seem to be not alone in the concept.

I have the original version of the Lyra, which I think is quite good.
Anyone compare the Lyra to the Periodic Be?

Apr 17, 2017 at 10:10 PM Post #191 of 1,454
Can always eq the bass in. Nothing short of sublime.

Soundstage id say averagish but they are so fun.

Actually I like bass like these IEMs instead, wasn't looking for basshead IEMs but I've always had the luck of getting ones when I wasn't expecting it, so this was a pleasant surprise.

As for the soundstage, Dan told me that the cable had four cores inside so you can re-terminate the end to balanced connection, should help the soundstage.

Apr 17, 2017 at 11:00 PM Post #192 of 1,454

Actually I like bass like these IEMs instead, wasn't looking for basshead IEMs but I've always had the luck of getting ones when I wasn't expecting it, so this was a pleasant surprise.

As for the soundstage, Dan told me that the cable had four cores inside so you can re-terminate the end to balanced connection, should help the soundstage.

I feel you.  I was pleasantly surprised with how this bass hits.  Its like sub bassy but very quick and envelopes the music.  Usually, i just seem to get the sub bass which is great but its usually missing something.

If that is true on the balanced...don't get me thinking but i am ok with the current sound stage.

Apr 18, 2017 at 1:15 AM Post #194 of 1,454
It is not the price that I think is wrong, it is the perceived value. A manufacturer should entice customers up to the next level by making them think the step up is good value. If they really need $300 to make the BE then they should think about $200, $250, $300 as the extra cost between the versions APPEARS to be very little in production costs. To say a microscopic coating of titanium justifies doubling the price seems wrong to me.

I do not know how much it costs for the PA to do Be driver, but it is the priciest material in the market for sure. Look in the head-fi TV for Jude's video with Focal's rep discussing the Utopia headphones. I remember him saying that cost of 1 kg pure Beryllium sheet equals 40 kg in gold.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back