Periodic Audio IEMs Mg, Ti, Be, C
Apr 11, 2017 at 10:00 PM Post #92 of 1,454
  Well, there is a vent (a calibrated hole, basically) in front of the transducer.  So when you press then IEM into your ear, the air pressure can "leak" out through the front volume and out the vent.  That reduces the "constant pressure" you can get with earplugs.  Yes, it does hamper the NRR (Noise Reduction Rating) of the IEM by about 1.5 dB, but we still score really high - and it makes a more comfortable application.  It also enhances the bass quite a bit and lowers THD...

Excellent, screw the NRR i want happy ear drums :)

Apr 12, 2017 at 1:47 AM Post #94 of 1,454
Hi Dan,

I was just wondering if there is any potential for damage to the diaphragm if it can be heard 'crinkling' when inserting the earphone into one's ear?

Thanks.

Apr 12, 2017 at 1:53 AM Post #96 of 1,454
Why not?

:)

Seriously, there are really only two viable alternatives for detachable cables at this point:

The 2-pin PlasticsOne type connector, which is really big and bulky for IEMs (we made the cable attachment as small as possible for a reason - comfort)

An MMCX variant, but those are (IMHO) completely inappropriate because they are rated for a low number of insertions, are not intended for rotation once mated (typically RF cables are routed once and secured, as changing routing of the cable will affect RF system performance), and are not all compatible.  Witness the countless threads complaining about noisy and poor-performing MMCX-based connectors!

So at this point, we're going wired.  Reinforced cables, properly designed cable locks, and slick-enough jackets.  We are investigating a potential connector for some time in the future, but for now - it's hard to beat attached cables.  And if one should break because of materials or labor defects, well there is a 5 year warranty!  We can also repair the cables fairly affordably as well...
Qjays style of threaded MMCX is an optjon. Or Fidue Sirius style?

Apr 12, 2017 at 2:04 AM Post #97 of 1,454
Quite interested in the Mg, if anyone knows how it stacks up to the 1More Triple Driver which is the $100 iem to buy rn, that would be great! Looking forward to seeing great things come from this company :)

Apr 12, 2017 at 2:43 AM Post #98 of 1,454
Wowza I hope the Titanium model is sounds really good for $200! It's got tough competition like the Pinnacle P1 and 1More Quad Driver.

So far everybody agrees the Ti is not that good. Mg and Be are a better choice, Be are amazing to be honest. They render very well both music with preeminent low or preeminent high or a balance of the two.

I truly wonder what the Be driver coupled with a planar could deliver as a hybrid, oh dreams ....

Apr 12, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #99 of 1,454
  Hi Dan,

I was just wondering if there is any potential for damage to the diaphragm if it can be heard 'crinkling' when inserting the earphone into one's ear?

Thanks.

Most plastic-diaphragms are made from either PET or a PET/PU or PET/PEEK (or, rarely, PEEK by itself) material which is quite resilient to folding and crunching.  What you are typically hearing is the suspension "unloading" - being pushed beyond its limits and the molded-in features that allow motion (the annular rings or radial-style features) tend to "unfold".  But because of the high internal shape memory of most thermoplastics they will spring right back into shape without damage. 

TL;DR: no problem!

Apr 12, 2017 at 7:46 PM Post #100 of 1,454
Dan besides the membrane material, what other different driver technologies are used in your iem?

I'm looking at the water graph decay, would you say the mg has the greatest speed and may sound the cleanest of the 3? The be will sound the fullest?

Apr 12, 2017 at 7:54 PM Post #101 of 1,454
Dan besides the membrane material, what other different driver technologies are used in your iem?

I'm looking at the water graph decay, would you say the mg has the greatest speed and may sound the cleanest of the 3? The be will sound the fullest?

Between the models?  None.  Everything else - save the PVD coating on the counterbalance endcap - is exactly the same.  Same magnets, voice coils, yokes, housings, vents, cables, etc.  We only change the diaphragm and the color on the endcap.

Apr 12, 2017 at 9:18 PM Post #103 of 1,454
  Hi Dan,

Thanks.

Most plastic-diaphragms are made from either PET or a PET/PU or PET/PEEK (or, rarely, PEEK by itself) material which is quite resilient to folding and crunching.  What you are typically hearing is the suspension "unloading" - being pushed beyond its limits and the molded-in features that allow motion (the annular rings or radial-style features) tend to "unfold".  But because of the high internal shape memory of most thermoplastics they will spring right back into shape without damage. 

TL;DR: no problem!

​Actually, I was referring specifically to the Be model I own.  I sometimes hear a similar type of crinkling sound as I insert them into my ears.

I was just wondering if this is normal?

Apr 12, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #104 of 1,454
Gotta say, the more I read, the more I love this company. It's not all that often that a brand will put themselves forwards with raw measurements. I've learnt so much as well from reading Dan's comments here.

So excited about Be. Comments got me too hyped!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back