Periodic Audio IEMs Mg, Ti, Be, C
Jul 13, 2019 at 11:23 PM Post #1,186 of 1,454
bassct, that part of your comment just won me over. I will revisit the whole thread on Be, but pretty sure I´ll pull the trigger.
Just to wrap it up, how is the instrument separation and soundstage on Be's?
thanks a lot for your timely feedback, I do appreciate it.
cheers, Jose

I used to listen to the Etymotics 4s, or RHA ma-750, or Grado 10e, or Sennheiser ie800s. They are generally regarded as pretty good in the separation and soundstage department.

Then I got the Be.

Now I listen to the Be or my new Carbon. The Be is just special, musical, involving, detailed, and nearly neutral without being clinical.

Jul 13, 2019 at 11:35 PM Post #1,187 of 1,454
Soundstage is not the greatest, average maybe. But you barely pay attention to it because of how good it sounds. I listen to techno and I love low freq music, so Carbon fits me better. Be is probably one of the best do-it-all iems. Any musical genre sounds good , especially faster stuff like rock and metal. Oh and it will reveal crappy recordings, while good recorded music sounds great.

Jul 13, 2019 at 11:44 PM Post #1,188 of 1,454
Thanks for the response. How did you feel about the stock tips? I was planning on looking into spin fits or even using a set of comply as I have used and liked them in the past. Assuming the stock tips don't work out.

I preferred the stock foam tips to the flanged ones. My ears must be shaped funny, because I have never gotten a good seal with single flanged tips- not the RHA dual density and not the Klipsch oval. The dual flange tips I have tried hurt my ears. The stock foam large worked best for me, but the Comply improved the isolation and the sound. Maybe my ear canals are just used to comply large because I have been using them for so many years on so many different iems. They are larger in diameter than the stock foam large, so maybe I have a funny shaped ear canal or something that the extra memory foam helps.

Jul 14, 2019 at 7:26 AM Post #1,189 of 1,454
bassct, that part of your comment just won me over. I will revisit the whole thread on Be, but pretty sure I´ll pull the trigger.
Just to wrap it up, how is the instrument separation and soundstage on Be's?
thanks a lot for your timely feedback, I do appreciate it.
cheers, Jose

I recommend to make a custom mold for the BE. Its design allow that, just need to care for the ventillation hole at the nozzle. I have a tesco bag size eartips (Senn, Sony, Jvc, Spinfit, Complys, Acoustune, Trinity, Final, triple-duple-single....etc.) and still the mold gives the best listening experience with BE.
Especially those things you looking for. Soundstage with improved 3D and depth, that leads to better imaging and separation. Than a slightly more airy sound, more accurate bass and highs.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/periodic-audio-iems-mg-ti-be-c.840451/page-64#post-14577483

Jul 14, 2019 at 12:37 PM Post #1,190 of 1,454
@JP the Elder, @bassct, thanks for the replies. Would you consider long sessions with Be´s non-fatiguing? If they are musical and engaging, I´d not worry about big soundstage, but precise instrument location and separation is important to me.
@fericske, quite interesting the custom mold proposal, will send you a PM.
Will the Cayin N3 be sufficient to drive them properly?
TIA, Jose

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2019 at 11:28 PM Post #1,191 of 1,454
@JP the Elder, @bassct, thanks for the replies. Would you consider long sessions with Be´s non-fatiguing? If they are musical and engaging, I´d not worry about big soundstage, but precise instrument location and separation is important to me.
TIA, Jose
I listen all day to my Be without issues or fatigue. The Cayen N3 has no issues driving the Be, that is what I use as my source. It's a great combo IMHO.

Jul 14, 2019 at 11:50 PM Post #1,192 of 1,454
The Cayin does have a good output amp in the OPA1622 - so it should easily drive the Be. Note that our Nickel uses the INA1620 - an upgraded 1622, and it's a match made in heaven. The N3 also has a single power rail for the amp, so it has less output power (1Vrms with plenty of current behind it, as compared to the Nickel with 3Vrms output and a touch more current).

If you want to manage your music on a dedicated player, the Cayin would be a good choice; if you want a slightly better output amp, quite a bit more power/dynamics and to use your phone, the Nickel is the best choice. But as-is, the N3 is a very good player and should be a good match with the Be.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2019 at 1:05 AM Post #1,193 of 1,454
The Cayin does have a good output amp in the OPA1622 - so it should easily drive the Be. Note that our Nickel uses the INA1620 - an upgraded 1622, and it's a match made in heaven. The N3 also has a single power rail for the amp, so it has less output power (1Vrms with plenty of current behind it, as compared to the Nickel with 3Vrms output and a touch more current).

If you want to manage your music on a dedicated player, the Cayin would be a good choice; if you want a slightly better output amp, quite a bit more power/dynamics and to use your phone, the Nickel is the best choice. But as-is, the N3 is a very good player and should be a good match with the Be.
I'm glad to hear this also, as I am using an N3. Difference is I'll be running the Carbon which by specs the N3 looks to be a bit underpowered. Is it a big enough difference that I will need to amp the Carbons though?

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2019 at 1:24 AM Post #1,194 of 1,454
I'm glad to hear this also, as I am using an N3. Difference is I'll be running the Carbon which by specs the N3 looks to be a bit underpowered. Is it a big enough difference that I will need to amp the Carbons though?
Probably not - but hey, we're running a special on blemished Nickels right now, you could give one a shot, and if you don't like it/find the improvement worthwhile, just return it for a refund!

Jul 15, 2019 at 1:37 AM Post #1,195 of 1,454
Probably not - but hey, we're running a special on blemished Nickels right now, you could give one a shot, and if you don't like it/find the improvement worthwhile, just return it for a refund!
Well I just put an order for the Carbons in last night lol. I will see how it turns out, although I might pick the nickel up in the future anyhow. Especially for phone use.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2019 at 1:50 AM Post #1,196 of 1,454
TIA, Jose

I am not familiar with the Cayin N3. I use iPhone 6 plus or iPad Pro - both sound much better with the Nickel. I never knew my iPad could sound THAT good!

The Be will reveal what you feed it. I believe that if you are experiencing listener fatigue, it is coming from something other than the Be. They showed me rather quickly that the weak link in the iPad/Nickel/Be combo was the cable between the iPad and the Nickel. Yes, the Be are fun and can pass the goosebump test (Celtic Woman “Over the Rainbow” or Cecelia Bartoli “Exsultate Jubilate” or the 1812, or . . .), however, they keep sounding better as the upstream equipment improves.

I thought the Be were really good with the iPad. Then I added the Nickel and heard what I had been missing. I will not go back to plain iPad again. The Be can spoil you as you listen to better recordings or better gear.

Next step up was iPad/Silver Dragon usb/Chord Mojo. Then the PC/Roon/Hugo2. Then the Furman/MIT/Melco/Silver Dragon usb/Hugo2 (about as good as I can get until some kind soul sends me a Chord M Scaler for review). The Be always sounded like a clean and clear window of the quality of what I fed it. I liked what it did with my Kraftwerk, Major Mackerel, and Dub Colossus, right alongside Bria or Ben Webster or Michael Card, so I have a hard time picking out a genre that the Be favors.

Jul 16, 2019 at 8:50 AM Post #1,199 of 1,454
is Be actually hard to drive?!
i have shanling M0 and thinking of upgrading to fiio M7.

hopefully enough power to drive the Be

MO can easily drive the Be.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2019 at 8:15 PM Post #1,200 of 1,454
MO can easily drive the Be.

I tend to agree, Be is not hard to drive and Shanling M0 should dirve Be pretty well

is Be actually hard to drive?!
i have shanling M0 and thinking of upgrading to fiio M7.

hopefully enough power to drive the Be

If you need more features, you could consider M6 instead because it has more features than M7,

But are you're listening to M0 at maximum volume to need more driving power? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back