Periodic Audio IEMs Mg, Ti, Be, C
Jul 23, 2019 at 11:56 PM Post #1,216 of 1,454
I will have our web guy immediately check this out! And for something important, please do NOT PM me here, I don't always get them in my inbox (often goes to spam); better to just e-mail us at support@ periodicaudio.com

Dan
Sounds good, I'll give it until Thursday if it's still not working for me I'll email your support. I just want to guarantee I don't lose that warranty, lol... Thanks for the response it's appreciated.

Jul 25, 2019 at 5:01 AM Post #1,217 of 1,454
Yes, add to those factors that I still I am learning what sound signature and attributes I like the most.
No matter how many reviews/impressions I read, at the end of the day, my ears have the final verdict
then again, with so many new models flooding the market every day, this forum helps me somehow what to discard.
so far there have been more hits than miss.
Am not the lucky one who can listen before purchasing, so I am learning to be patient, not to hurry to buy the newest hyped IEM, and read as many reviews as possible.
Regarding the Be, at the very least, want to know how beryllium sounds, I like the form factor, don´t mind the fixed cable, and reviews are very promising.
I don´t expect TOTL level, but a balanced, with extended bass, clear mids and highs, and good instrument separation; but most importantly, with a correct timbre and engaging sound.
Am I asking too much? time will tell.
Later on, will either get an amp for Cayin N3 or upgrade to something like Fiio M11. I am not too much into DAPS/ amps right now.
At this moment, rather try to find IEMs that are to my liking, and later go for the fine-tuning with sources (synergy)
BTW, it took only 2 days to get the Be´s from California to my forwarder in Florida, so it might take about a week until I get them at home.
Great service Periodic Audio
cheers, Jose

Hi @josesol07,

I have always gone by the policy of trust my own ears & judgement, no one else's & often suggest to others to do so, good to hear you follow the same policy.
It certainly does help to know what kind of sound signature you like & how much you can accomodate sonically if there is any variance on said sound signature, be it from source, eg DAP, computer, head amps, etc
I agree the flavour of the month/week/day IEM are appearing with such frequency it gets mind boggling though personally & subjectively, reviews &/or the forums don't always &/or can't tell a reader something useful for said reader, so short of demo, experience & knowledge of technology & material involved in an IEM as well as who's behind it does help though not always indicative but once again, at least helpful.

On a side note, you already have described the Be sound reasonably well though the only adendem I will say extended bass depends on track source &/or overall recorded sound if said sound isn't music.
The C has a more natural bass extension than Be but that is also personal & subjective opinion.
So as stated, demo is recommended to be totally sure on your part.
More often than not, in most other cases, it is a wise policy just to forgo than take a chance.

Honestly, despite having a few DAPs & certainly demoing a whole lot more but have no access to the N3 nor do I have time to demo the M11 at present, (it will happen eventually), I don't really find DAPs are that important to personal listening unless one is constantly on the move & don't really want to use a phone. I tend to prefer head amps which I have a whole lot more of which I also enjoy more.
Regardless, you are on the right path as more often than not, a good IEM will tell you which direction to take your source(s) & yes, synergy is ridiculously important, a lot more than people realise.

Enjoy your Be when you get it, also recommend looking in the Ni when you get the chance.

Hope this helps & makes sense.

Hope you have a great day !

PDL

Aug 1, 2019 at 1:18 PM Post #1,218 of 1,454
Hi, yesterday I finally got The Be´s. Well, right OTTB, I liked the bass presentation, but a little worried as I perceived vocals a bit recessed and with lack of details, and the highs extended without a hint of sibilance or harshness. That was based on a very quick session with R&Bs and contemporary POP music.
Left the BEs playing music overnight at my usual volume levels, and this morning another quick session before going to work, and surprise... Midrange showed more upfront, with lots of details and dynamics, treble doing its thing smoothly.
Ah, the BASS, very detailed, layered, strong kick, and as @PaganDL mentioned, bass presentation varies depending on the source recording.

So far very very happy with this purchase. I can finally enjoy Depeche Mode´s tracks with such a strong and detailed bass foundation as expressed by the BEs!!
Regarding soundstage, is not huge, no complaints either, but sound image and instrument separation is really great. I have noticed great depths, having sounds extended behind my neck, and that never happened with my DM6, Toneking T4 or Ibasso IT01.
Best of all, BE are not as intolerant to bad/poor recording/mix as with the temperamental T4, nor fatiguing as the DM6 can sometimes be.
I have the feeling BEs will be great for long sessions.

I did a little tip rolling, so far the stock silicone double-flanged tips worked the best for me, and wide-bore being the worst offenders.
Aldo tried some Final E tips, which fits me well with my other IEMs, but no so with BEs, go figure.
The memory foam tips are just a tad too big for my ears, so not a perfect fit, but provided a solid seal and good sound nonetheless.

How long took you guys to have the Berrylium drivers to settle down? I am going to give some more burning time and keep on checking on changes. But right now I think for the price I paid this is a terrific pair of IEMs.
Ah, I hate the cable, so prone to tangle, is thinner than the Final Audio E3000 cable and does not feel as robust.
Not sure if the BEs would be adequate for outdoor use.

Will appreciate your recommendations on tips that work great with BEs, and how to elevate the source performance, maybe going the Nickel route or adding a DAC/Amp as the Topping NX4 to my Cayin N3 DAP, or getting Fiio M11?
Thank you all for your comments, I have the feeling I nailed it with the purchase of the BEs.
I will get my money ready for the time Periodic Audio comes up with a new model with detachable cable!!
cheers, Jose

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2019 at 4:43 PM Post #1,219 of 1,454
Hi, yesterday I finally got The Be´s. Well, right OTTB, I liked the bass presentation, but a little worried as I perceived vocals a bit recessed and with lack of details, and the highs extended without a hint of sibilance or harshness. That was based on a very quick session with R&Bs and contemporary POP music.
Left the BEs playing music overnight at my usual volume levels, and this morning another quick session before going to work, and surprise... Midrange showed more upfront, with lots of details and dynamics, treble doing its thing smoothly.
Ah, the BASS, very detailed, layered, strong kick, and as @PaganDL mentioned, bass presentation varies depending on the source recording.

So far very very happy with this purchase. I can finally enjoy Depeche Mode´s tracks with such a strong and detailed bass foundation as expressed by the BEs!!
Regarding soundstage, is not huge, no complaints either, but sound image and instrument separation is really great. I have noticed great depths, having sounds extended behind my neck, and that never happened with my DM6, Toneking T4 or Ibasso IT01.
Best of all, BE are not as intolerant to bad/poor recording/mix as with the temperamental T4, nor fatiguing as the DM6 can sometimes be.

I did a little tip rolling, so far the stock silicone double-flanged tips worked the best for me, and wide-bore being the worst offenders.
Aldo tried some Final E tips, which fits me well with my other IEMs, but no so with BEs, go figure.
The memory foam tips are just a tad too big for my ears, so not a perfect fit, but provided a solid seal and good sound nonetheless.

How long took you guys to have the Berrylium drivers to settle down? I am going to give some more burning time and keep on checking on changes. But right now I think for the price I paid this is a terrific pair of IEMs.
Ah, I hate the cable, so prone to tangle, is thinner than the Final Audio E3000 cable and does not feel as robust.

Will appreciate your recommendations on tips that work great with BEs, and how to elevate the source performance, maybe going the Nickel route or adding a DAC/Amp as the Topping NX4 to my Cayin N3 DAP, or getting Fiio M11?
Thank you all for your comments, I have the feeling I nailed it with the purchase of the BEs.
I will get my money ready for the time Periodic Audio comes up with a new model with detachable cable!!
cheers, Jose

Jose,

To answer your questions about Be first and then Nickel: my experience was that the overall sound improved through at least 72 hours to almost a week of constant medium-loud “training.”

I have gotten the best results with Comply foam 600 series eartips. I cannot figure out why the others just do not work as well for me.

The topic of interchangeable cables has been discussed at length before in this forum and in Periodic Audio’s monthly newsletter. Here is a summary of what I have read:

The current industry standard two pin or mmcx connectors leave a lot to be desired.

Dan at Periodic Audio has written that Periodic is working on new connector design, and will make the new connector specs available to all.
Dan also said that in the interest of keeping Periodic Audio customers happy and loyal, that there will be a retrofit opportunity. I plan to be one of the first adopters when Moon Audio has a Silver Dragon cable ready to attach to the new fantastic Periodic Audio connector. Maybe we could call it the new “Periodic Superconducting Superconnector”?

I am also a big fan of the Nickel. I never knew that my iPhone or iPad could sound that great. I improved the performance by swapping the cable from my iPad to the Nickel to my favorite Moon Audio Silver Dragon. Both the Nickel and the Silver Dragon are highly recommended.

Aug 1, 2019 at 5:47 PM Post #1,220 of 1,454
+1 on the Nickel!

Aug 2, 2019 at 12:06 AM Post #1,221 of 1,454

cheers, Jose

I'm using the default silicon tips and they work the best for my ears. I have a pair of the Comply 400s but they make the overall sound veiled and the bass gets boomy. My ears like the rounded shape for tips based on everything i've tried so far.
I too am using the Cayin N3 and my impressions are almost identical to yours. The detail in the bass and mid base + it's slam is so intoxicating, it just gives the music so much drive and they are so forgiving. It's an amazing combination: revealing detail that doesn't make you hate half your library. Plus the Cayin has zero issues driving them. I use the lowest output gain and volume rarely goies over 40. They also sound great off my Schiit Fulla on my desktop.

Aug 2, 2019 at 10:26 AM Post #1,223 of 1,454
@MetalheadGeek, the more I listen to BEs the more my liking. Prog rock sounds fabulous...
But got late for the Nickel party, they are sold out at Periodic Audio Store :astonished:
Still curious about more options on eartips for the BE
cheers
Yeah, we've been blowing through them! But we're not out - we just out of blemished units! :wink:

Aug 2, 2019 at 3:11 PM Post #1,225 of 1,454
Upsss, sorry for the confusion, I did miss that.
Wouldn´t be nice to include in the package rubber bands to stack the amp to DAP/smartphone?
cheers, Jose
Dan has said plenty of times at shows and here I believe, that the nickel is plenty light and small its design connection is strong enough to just dangle. Mostly from a smartphone and had no intention of using bands. Is there something missing that you feel you plan on adding the nickel. I am running Carbon ( I know you are running BE) with the N3 and my output is plenty with lo gain maybe on a couple albums have bumped up to med. And under both never felt the need to go past 55-60...

Aug 2, 2019 at 5:38 PM Post #1,226 of 1,454
Hi, @spooled180, point taken. I haven't reviewed the whole thread.
As a consumer and based on my needs, I like to express suggestions to the manufacturer, in order to make the product more attractive to me.
In my portable rig, I like to keep things tidy and secured, so if I decide to purchase the Nickel, I´d certainly add the rubber bands.
Anyhow, I also get plenty of power from my Cayin N3, and the sound is so clear (undistorted) that I have found myself several times going overboard with the volume.
The more I listen to BEs, the more addicted I get to them.
I am considering the Nickel to improve the sound out the analog output of my laptop an smartphone, and of course, the Cayin N3, as someone has mentioned in the forum.
Anything that helps to improve the BE´s SQ is most welcome.
cheers, Jose

Aug 2, 2019 at 7:15 PM Post #1,227 of 1,454
Jose, I'm with you on
suggestions to manufacturers. I would like bands also to keep everything tight and secure. I too am considering the nickel, but also can't ignore the Cayin c5 although old has a great proven track record..

Aug 2, 2019 at 7:27 PM Post #1,228 of 1,454
Any Carbon love out there? I'm enjoying the heck out of mine:L3000:

Aug 2, 2019 at 7:43 PM Post #1,230 of 1,454
Any Carbon love out there? I'm enjoying the heck out of mine:L3000:
Absolutely!!!! Love mine, only thing mine didn't come with the double flange tips which I really wanted to give a try. The details make you feel so involved in the music. The low end is very smooth but hit with authority.

Hope to see more Carbon discussion and what everyone is playing on them and what ear tips are being used and what the differences they are noticing when used on the Carbons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back