Ortofon e-Q7 Impressions Thread
Feb 11, 2011 at 11:23 AM Post #736 of 760

Quote:

Quote:
^ add impedance

Quote:
Hmm. Adding impedance simply be putting in a resistor?
This may work if the roll off is caused by poor amping, I guess - or am I wrong here?

Adding impedance attenuates the lows more than the highs. I tried it with a Shure attenuator and sure enough it works, yet treble sounds slightly more edgy compared to doing the same with a good parametric EQ (e.g. Cowon or Rockbox).

eQ7 + parametric EQ is fantastic :)

Feb 12, 2011 at 8:50 PM Post #738 of 760

Quote:
Quote:

eQ7 + parametric EQ is fantastic :)

What frequencies are you tweaking with the PEQ?

I've been enjoying my e-Q7 with 6G Nano & Pico Slim so no EQ for me but I'd still like more above 15 kHz...as I do with every IEM.  I love the mids, these are my favorite.

0 dB @ 80Hz
-2.5 dB @ 3200Hz 0.8 Q (factor)
0.0 dB @ 4000Hz
-4.5 dB @ 10000Hz 0.8 Q
+ 6.0 dB @ 10950Hz 0.7 Q

Used a combination of the frequency response graphs of the eQ7 + listening + Rockbox manual stating that the low and high pass filters should be set at a Q factor of 0.7. the Q factor affects the tonality (see how 'on-key' they are) of ythe notes and how wide in octaves the EQ is applied. See here: http://www.rane.com/note101.html and the Q factor to octave calculator: http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-bandwidth.htm

Feb 15, 2011 at 7:50 AM Post #739 of 760
ck, thanks for the links. I started using RB EQ a few years ago and spent a lot of time with it. It does take some experimenting with it to be happy. The Cowon EQ is the closest that I know of to RB and it works pretty good too...also takes time to get it right. I actually like the e-Q7 with no EQ or any other sound tweaks. For my 2 AT clip-ons I use the Cowon EQ and tune by ear to my preference.

Feb 23, 2011 at 12:37 AM Post #740 of 760
guys...why is it that my ortofon eq7 is sibilant?
hmmm...is this because of the filters,  needing replacement.

does anyone know how to replace the filters?
its new to me... i dont really know how..sorry.

Feb 23, 2011 at 2:46 AM Post #742 of 760
yeah. tried ue tips, and even complys.
they sound...sibilant.

bright yet smooth.
and mellow...tube like.

i want to tame those highs.
and im guessing its because of the filters.
maybe it needs replacing.

and i dont know how.

Feb 23, 2011 at 4:33 AM Post #743 of 760
The only reason I can think of e-Q7 being sibilant is you have the volume way too high, excluding reasons such as bad fit, source issue and the natural sibilant form music.

Feb 23, 2011 at 2:21 PM Post #744 of 760
e-Q7 does have a peak at around 5 kHz and if you are sensitive to this frequency then they can indeed be a bit harsh sounding. From my experience, burn in helped quite a bit, so leave them to play out of your source overnight for several nights and then get back to us with further impressions. After about 100 hours or so, the peak should even out a bit and the upper treble will become smoother as well. Also, make sure you experiment with different tips. I actually think the UE tips are not a good match with the e-Q7 because they make it sound too forward and aggressive. I found the smaller soft, clear double flange Hifiman tips to be the best fit on the e-Q7 for my ears, but the stock single flange tips also worked great for me. I recommend softer tips for the e-Q7 in order to soften up the sound since their driver is a bit aggressive by nature.

Feb 23, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #745 of 760
^yeah...i found them too agressive for me.
changing the tips, my vortex iem tips, the highs now is comparable to my mx980...the smoothness and heavenly highs ive heard in earbud...very similar now.

i wonder why this sounds a little bright to me.
based on reviews..this is a warm iem.

but i dont find it warm.
i think this is smooth, bright a bit, and...a little tubey like sound.
maybe it takes time to get used to the sound...mental burn in perhaps is needed.

they sound fantastic by the way.
gonna offer my review here and in my filipino community.

May 12, 2011 at 12:34 PM Post #746 of 760
Received my secondhand set of Red e-Q7s earlier this week. I am loving the signature of these IEMs. They have such a fluid, natural presentation and a wide soundstage. Vocals and instruments have a sense of ease and presence that I really enjoy. They really excel with acoustic and jazz - but not too shabby with electronica either. The e-Q7s offer a nice contrast to the livelier and more dynamic sound from my JVC FX700s. After all it would be pretty pointless having another pair of IEMs that sounded similar. I much prefer the Ortofons to my Miles Davis Tributes - the e-Q7s are just more open and natural to my ears. I sold the MDs earlier today.

Jun 25, 2011 at 1:33 AM Post #747 of 760
Yes when I had e-Q7 I also used them only for Jazz and Instrumental music. They excel and bring the best out of acoustic instruments.
I agree fx700 is absolute opposite to the Ortos

Sep 28, 2011 at 6:43 PM Post #748 of 760
I've decided to keep both the e-Q5 and e-Q7. They both have their subtle differences, but said differences are enough for me to keep both simultaneously... for now. 
biggrin.gif

Oct 7, 2011 at 2:06 AM Post #750 of 760
I like using Sony Hybrids on mine, they are available on Amazon but not sure in NZ. Don't get the fakes, they're not the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back