Ortofon e-Q7 Impressions Thread
Nov 5, 2010 at 10:32 AM Post #725 of 760
When I did have them they did have a rolloff but it wasn't that significant where I would need a 7db boost there at least to my ears.

Nov 5, 2010 at 10:54 AM Post #726 of 760
GR8 is said to have less top end that the Orto and here is how it compares to the 535. This is not canal adjusted. I think folks look at these type of curves and think this is how it sounds when in actuality these are both relatively neutral curves when weighted. An ET HF5 is a max of only a few DB different at any point on that chart and mostly the bass. I'm sure the Orto would not be too far off these curves.

Nov 5, 2010 at 11:05 AM Post #727 of 760

According to this graph they appear to roll off by almost 20db between 10kHz and 15kHz. But I concur with rawrster, to my ears they need only a gentle treble boost. From that I would think that Ortofon's own graph is closer to the truth:

Nov 5, 2010 at 11:26 AM Post #728 of 760
Right but from recall, that peak is where it should be for compensation though still a few DB to high and the roll is is less than it appears due to being compared to a IEM that's a bit hot above 10k. A small boost above 10k and a little cut around 8k sounds about right depending on preference. The few DB boost at 8k is probably masking some extention like it did for 530s.

Nov 5, 2010 at 6:00 PM Post #729 of 760
Quote:
If you have a good EQ you can try that but other than that or amping I can't see what else you can do. Modding the e-Q7 is pretty much impossible unless you consider different tips a mod.

Why is it impossible to modify the e-Q7 (apart from using other tips) ?
(I haven't tried modding a earphone before, so I don't know what I should be aware of.)

Quote:
^ add impedance

Hmm. Adding impedance simply be putting in a resistor?
This may work if the roll off is caused by poor amping, I guess - or am I wrong here?

Nov 5, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #730 of 760
The roll off is not caused by it not having enough power. The e-Q7 is not hard to drive. It's just how it sounds.

Nov 6, 2010 at 2:04 AM Post #731 of 760

Quote:

This may work if the roll off is caused by poor amping, I guess - or am I wrong here?

I've used 75 Ohms from my XM5 but less impedance would probably sound better. This change may be good or bad for you. It seems to reduce mids. I can't say I really like it.

I've used my DEQ2496 PEQ & GEQ to boost treble and it works great. Rockbox EQ would also work great.

Quote:
The roll off is not caused by it not having enough power. The e-Q7 is not hard to drive. It's just how it sounds.

Plain and simple. Love em' or hate em'.

Nov 6, 2010 at 2:16 AM Post #732 of 760

Quote:
^ add impedance

Quote:

Adding impedance attenuates the lows more than the highs. I tried it with a Shure attenuator and sure enough it works, yet treble sounds slightly more edgy compared to doing the same with a good parametric EQ (e.g. Cowon or Rockbox).

Nov 14, 2010 at 9:03 PM Post #733 of 760
I tend to find most headphone packaging gimmicky, but the E-Q7 'display case' looks quite nice. Still not a lot being said here about the HQ-Q7, and our local retailer has installed a link to his shopping cart without any product, apparently:

http://www.wickeddigital.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=130:xf_eek:rtofon-headphones-and-cables&catid=1:latest-news&Itemid=50

Exciting times - it would seem that USB DACs and/or headphone amps have become all the rage with audio manufacturers :)

Dec 13, 2010 at 10:52 PM Post #734 of 760

[size=medium]

Quote:
^ Nope, moving coil is simply techspeak for dynamic driver.

[size=medium]
Interesting, as Ortofon has a very nice line of moving coil phono cartridges. Their flagship is "built up of layer upon layer of laser-fused microparticles, in a process called Selective Laser Melting, resulting in a dense but lightweight and nonresonant structure. This is said to produce "ideal damping through out and beyond the audio band; the A90 also features a boron cantilever." Only $4200 for this baby:

[/size]

[/size]

Feb 11, 2011 at 9:50 AM Post #735 of 760
Whoa that looks cool~~! Anyways I finally get my e-Q7 back from RMA! Wonder is it me, The brand new pair with SuperGel tips just sounds heaven out of my EQ'ed Cowon J3.

I used to prefer my Monster Miles Davis Tributes over the previous defective pair of e-Q7, but seems this current new pair of a seemingly slight different beast will have its tide turned against my MDs in its stead, at least for now.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back