Ortofon e-Q5 Impressions Thread
Dec 26, 2010 at 3:16 PM Post #256 of 1,026

Quote:
Isn't it obvious? He thought the DBAs were more expensive and the e-Q5 better bang for buck. He didn't say he hates the Fischers. At least that's what I understood.

Quote:
Everyone has their own tastes, but after listening to these and the DBA-02 I find I can't understand why the DBA-02 is so popular here. Are the Fischers less expensive than the Ortofons abroad?

Well, regardless of cost he sounds like he prefers the Ortofon more to me.  I'm asking why?

Dec 26, 2010 at 4:46 PM Post #257 of 1,026
^ I agree. "Can't understand why they are so popular" does have a negative connotation.

And as ClieOS mentioned, a DBA tryout in a shop is not the same as living with it and finding what they can sound like with the right tips.

Dec 26, 2010 at 5:17 PM Post #258 of 1,026
So maybe Dekimasu will kindly give us a more detailed description of his impressions (hint hint). There aren't many folks who have heard both the DBA02 and e-Q5. I'd be very interested too.

Dec 27, 2010 at 2:35 AM Post #260 of 1,026
I've heard both the DBA-02s and e-q5s as well, but only briefly at local stores instead of having the chance to listen to them at my leisure. Based on what people are saying about the difficulty in getting a 'perfect' fit with the DBA-02s I don't think it's really possible to give any meaningful impressions off maybe a half-hour of listening :\

That being said, I prefer the e-q5s, to my ears they sound more 'natural' than the DBA-02 which has obvious technical proficiency but can sound a bit dry. The DBA-02s seem to have less bass extension (could be fit-related issue, idk) than the e-q5s as well - though for me it is sound signature preference rather than anything else that pushes me towards the e-q5s. I'll probably be getting a pair in the next few weeks or so.

Dec 27, 2010 at 2:40 AM Post #261 of 1,026

Quote:
I've heard both the DBA-02s and e-q5s as well, but only briefly at local stores instead of having the chance to listen to them at my leisure. Based on what people are saying about the difficulty in getting a 'perfect' fit with the DBA-02s I don't think it's really possible to give any meaningful impressions off maybe a half-hour of listening :\

That being said, I prefer the e-q5s, to my ears they sound more 'natural' than the DBA-02 which has obvious technical proficiency but can sound a bit dry. The DBA-02s seem to have less bass extension (could be fit-related issue, idk) than the e-q5s as well - though for me it is sound signature preference rather than anything else that pushes me towards the e-q5s. I'll probably be getting a pair in the next few weeks or so.

Unnatural, dry and thin does sound like out of the box fit to me.  Though the DBAs do lack in bass extension so I concede that but not bass punch.  They can hit hard.

Dec 27, 2010 at 4:41 AM Post #262 of 1,026
Well, if you are comparing DBA-02 to e-Q5, then it will sound dry for sure since the contrast in sound signature is very obvious. Being warm, smooth and more musical, I can imagine why more people will probably prefer e-Q5 over DBA-02.

Dec 27, 2010 at 5:12 AM Post #263 of 1,026
So is the eq-5 like say re-262 ? Warm and musical ?

which other top-tier IEM does it remind sound-wise ?

Dec 27, 2010 at 6:29 AM Post #264 of 1,026
Quote:

Yes, they shares a good degree of sound signature, but not identical. Both are warm, smooth and musical, but e-Q5 has a slightly more forwarded mid and treble, more sparkle as well. RE262 is more laid back, more relax, spacious and immersive. Can't think of any other top tier IEM at the moment.

Dec 27, 2010 at 7:44 AM Post #265 of 1,026
sounds like a great IEM - thank god i am off buying IEM for now

Thanx for the info

Quote:
Yes, they shares a good degree of sound signature, but not identical. Both are warm, smooth and musical, but e-Q5 has a slightly more forwarded mid and treble, more sparkle as well. RE262 is more laid back, more relax, spacious and immersive. Can't think of any other top tier IEM at the moment.

Dec 27, 2010 at 8:02 AM Post #266 of 1,026

Quote:
Quote:

If I were to purchase one of the two just by reading your shortest of comparisons above, because of the adjectives used for it, I think I would go for the RE262.  Even though Re262 has a good reputation, the reviews I read of both of these IEMs on Head-fi led me to believe RE262 is not in the same class with e-Q5/7, SM3, Se535 etc... What do you think? Are they also similar in means of the classes they are in, that is, of course, if such classifications are valid for you? 
cool.gif

Dec 27, 2010 at 9:03 AM Post #267 of 1,026
Quote:
If I were to purchase one of the two just by reading your shortest of comparisons above, because of the adjectives used for it, I think I would go for the RE262.  Even though Re262 has a good reputation, the reviews I read of both of these IEMs on Head-fi led me to believe RE262 is not in the same class with e-Q5/7, SM3, Se535 etc... What do you think? Are they also similar in means of the classes they are in, that is, of course, if such classifications are valid for you? 
cool.gif

Don't know about SM3 since I have yet to listen to it yet, but at least in my own opinion a well driven RE262 is as good as any top tier. The strong point about RE262 is the musical experience it brings the listener into. I often lose my focus (on the IEM) when listen to RE262, but not so much when listening to other IEM. It lets me into the music, instead of make me aware of the music (as other IEM do), if that make sense to you.

Dec 27, 2010 at 9:33 AM Post #268 of 1,026

Quote:
Don't know about SM3 since I have yet to listen to it yet, but at least in my own opinion a well driven RE262 is as good as any top tier. The strong point about RE262 is the musical experience it brings the listener into. I often lose my focus (on the IEM) when listen to RE262, but not so much when listening to other IEM. It lets me into the music, instead of make me aware of the music (as other IEM do), if that make sense to you.

I think I understand; the highlighted part is close to James444's definition of transparency. He would define transparency approximately like this: "forgetting about the IEM as if the music is brought to you without the mediation of the IEMs." I understand this, so I think I have a good grasp of what you praised about the RE262. Though e-Q5s are also supposed to be very transparent IEMs, aren't they?

Dec 27, 2010 at 9:45 AM Post #269 of 1,026
How many of you EQ-5 owners compared the EQ-5 to the TF-10s?
I'm enjoying my EQ-5 right now but I'm trying to find a certain IEM that lets me enjoy electronic,rap and pop music a bit more. I'm certainly keeping my EQ-5s but how do they compare to the TF-10? Are the TF10s what I'm looking for or are there alternatives? I like how the EQ-5 sounds but there's something missing everytime I listen to the said genres.

Dec 27, 2010 at 10:28 AM Post #270 of 1,026
Quote:
I think I understand; the highlighted part is close to James444's definition of transparency. He would define transparency approximately like this: "forgetting about the IEM as if the music is brought to you without the mediation of the IEMs." I understand this, so I think I have a good grasp of what you praised about the RE262. Though e-Q5s are also supposed to be very transparent IEMs, aren't they?

e-Q5 is indeed a very transparent IEM, but I just find RE262 to be a level of its own. I think this to be a fairly subjective opinion on how each of us interprets how music should sound like.

Quote:
How many of you EQ-5 owners compared the EQ-5 to the TF-10s?

I think TF10 should be contrast enough for you to enjoy, if that is what you are looking for. The big difference is of course TF10 is more a V shaped sounding IEM, which is close to the opposite of what e-Q5 sounds like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back