Ortofon e-Q5 Impressions Thread
Dec 28, 2010 at 7:10 AM Post #286 of 1,026
^ Then you're a basshead.
wink.gif
Joking aside, I also have some bass driven albums that just don't sound as impressive with the e-Q5 as with the FX700.

Dec 28, 2010 at 1:58 PM Post #287 of 1,026
Wouldn't go as far to say he's a basshead. I think he's just more picky about his bass like me (both in quantity and quality). In my experience, very few IEMs do the bass right for my preferences. Even iems that were said to have that bass quality/quantity didn't satisfy (RE262/HJE900s/etc.) going to see if the EQ5s will do it as I took the plunge. 

Dec 28, 2010 at 2:35 PM Post #288 of 1,026

Quote:
Wouldn't go as far to say he's a basshead. I think he's just more picky about his bass like me (both in quantity and quality). In my experience, very few IEMs do the bass right for my preferences. Even iems that were said to have that bass quality/quantity didn't satisfy (RE262/HJE900s/etc.) going to see if the EQ5s will do it as I took the plunge. 

Sweet.  Look forward to it since I know we listen quite similarly.

Dec 28, 2010 at 3:26 PM Post #289 of 1,026
Quote:
Inks said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well, that would depend on what exactly you're picky about with your bass. It's not hard to find IEMs that have more punch than the e-Q5 (at least among DDs), but I know none that have better bass texture, clarity and definition. The HJE900's bass isn't bad and has more impact, but in comparison to the Ortofons it's a muddy mess. Listening to Diana Krall's excellently recorded Quiet Nights album, the e-Q5's rendering of double bass is spot-on, clear and precise like a laser etched sculpture.

Looking forward to your impressions.
smile_phones.gif

Dec 30, 2010 at 9:52 AM Post #290 of 1,026
Re: comparing the DBA-02 and the Ortofon eq-5, I have both! Have been using the DBA-02 extensively to let it mentally burn in. Getting the right fit also took a bit of getting used to, eventually got a fantastic seal with the triple flanges that came with the set, though I have a specific way of inserting it which gives near 100% isolation with no music and 100% with isolation, also did the seal test and heard both frequencies clear as day. I also get a perfect seal with the orto's so I have been able to get a good impression of both. 

The most noticeable difference is the midrange which is more full and engaging in the orto's. The other major difference would be that the DBA's pick up detail more clearly than the orto's but the orto's have much more of a 'live' feel to them, i.e. I actually feel like I am sitting and listening to live music. Treble is more detailed and does not roll off in the DBA's like they do in the orto's. Bass wise, I would say both are level in terms of quality but quantity is more in the orto's. The orto's are more efficient (is that the correct word?) in that they sound louder at lower volume levels. Soundstage wise, the separation and 3d is more on the DBA, though once again the orto's sound more realistic in that I feel like I am listening live. In terms of closeness to stage, the DBA's sound further away than the orto's. There is more of an airy feel with the DBA's as well. 

Build quality wise, the orto's casing beats out the plastic of the FA's. Neither cable gives me great comfort and the Pana's beat them both in the build category. I think they are different enough that I would want to keep both 
bigsmile_face.gif

Dec 30, 2010 at 1:09 PM Post #291 of 1,026

Quote:
Re: comparing the DBA-02 and the Ortofon eq-5, I have both! Have been using the DBA-02 extensively to let it mentally burn in. Getting the right fit also took a bit of getting used to, eventually got a fantastic seal with the triple flanges that came with the set, though I have a specific way of inserting it which gives near 100% isolation with no music and 100% with isolation, also did the seal test and heard both frequencies clear as day. I also get a perfect seal with the orto's so I have been able to get a good impression of both. 

The most noticeable difference is the midrange which is more full and engaging in the orto's. The other major difference would be that the DBA's pick up detail more clearly than the orto's but the orto's have much more of a 'live' feel to them, i.e. I actually feel like I am sitting and listening to live music. Treble is more detailed and does not roll off in the DBA's like they do in the orto's. Bass wise, I would say both are level in terms of quality but quantity is more in the orto's. The orto's are more efficient (is that the correct word?) in that they sound louder at lower volume levels. Soundstage wise, the separation and 3d is more on the DBA, though once again the orto's sound more realistic in that I feel like I am listening live. In terms of closeness to stage, the DBA's sound further away than the orto's. There is more of an airy feel with the DBA's as well. 

Build quality wise, the orto's casing beats out the plastic of the FA's. Neither cable gives me great comfort and the Pana's beat them both in the build category. I think they are different enough that I would want to keep both 
bigsmile_face.gif

Very nice impressions.  Sounds like you are hearing the DBA's properly so your impressions are appreciated.  Curious, what sources and/or amps?  just J3?

Dec 30, 2010 at 1:43 PM Post #292 of 1,026
x2, thanks for your detailed comparison Daanish. I haven't heard the DBAs, but most of what you say reminds me of the CK10. As for the e-Q5 you're pretty much mirroring my thoughts. I absolutely love their 'live' atmosphere, especially with classical, acoustic and jazz.
smile_phones.gif

Edit: what's your gripe with the Ortofon's cable? I think it's great, very flexible, non-microphonic and has almost no memory. If your issue is about wearing them over-ear, just get some Phonak silicon ear guides - they fit perfectly and make over-ear with the e-Q5 much easier.

Dec 30, 2010 at 3:25 PM Post #293 of 1,026

Quote:
ValSic said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

How many of you EQ-5 owners compared the EQ-5 to the TF-10s?
I'm enjoying my EQ-5 right now but I'm trying to find a certain IEM that lets me enjoy electronic,rap and pop music a bit more.
I'm certainly keeping my EQ-5s but how do they compare to the TF-10? Are the TF10s what I'm looking for or are there alternatives?
I like how the EQ-5 sounds but there's something missing everytime I listen to the said genres.

Well I actually got the MTPCs instead of the TF10's and they arrived today.
Non burnt MTPCs, I still like my EQ-5's better even with the said genres. Gonna update once I burn them in.

Dec 30, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #294 of 1,026

yeah..wasn't specific to avoid rambling but I guess you can't avoid it.
 I'm not so picky when it comes to punch (usually associated with midbass) and more when it comes to depth and texture. The problem I had with the Panas was that it wasn't as linear as i hoped and too midbass focused, the result was only decent bass texture and too much punch.  Now i'm not so critical when it comes to clarity/definition if the texture makes up for it (think ba vs dd). But now with the EQ5s i'm hoping for a good medium as it's said to be case. 
Quote:
Inks said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well, that would depend on what exactly you're picky about with your bass. It's not hard to find IEMs that have more punch than the e-Q5 (at least among DDs), but I know none that have better bass texture, clarity and definition. The HJE900's bass isn't bad and has more impact, but in comparison to the Ortofons it's a muddy mess. Listening to Diana Krall's excellently recorded Quiet Nights album, the e-Q5's rendering of double bass is spot-on, clear and precise like a laser etched sculpture.

Looking forward to your impressions.
smile_phones.gif

Dec 30, 2010 at 3:51 PM Post #295 of 1,026

Quote:

Non burnt MTPCs, I still like my EQ-5's better even with the said genres. Gonna update once I burn them in.

70+ hours on MTPC recommended.  Shallow insertion and much tip experimentation also.  Might have to go over the ear for shallow insertion to retain seal w/o them falling out.  YMMV.

Dec 30, 2010 at 6:17 PM Post #296 of 1,026

Quote:
Quote:

70+ hours on MTPC recommended.  Shallow insertion and much tip experimentation also.  Might have to go over the ear for shallow insertion to retain seal w/o them falling out.  YMMV.

Alright. I'm burning them in with pink and white noise atm. I've tried almost all of the eartips from the complys to the olives to the flanges. I settled with the small tri flange as it really goes deep , if you know what I mean.

Dec 31, 2010 at 1:01 AM Post #297 of 1,026
Thanks
biggrin.gif
 Yes I am using the J3 with just BBE setting. I might be getting a headstage arrow at the end of January so will update my impressions then!

Quote:
Very nice impressions.  Sounds like you are hearing the DBA's properly so your impressions are appreciated.  Curious, what sources and/or amps?  just J3?

Thanks James! I actually like the cabling until it splits, beyond that point it feels very thin to me. I think I am being overly critical but for me after using the Pana HJE900 cables which are so thick and durable, the orto's kind of feel like if somehow they got entangled and then pulled on, the casings would just tear off, which is a concern because I am on the move quite a bit. The microphonics and the memory are not an issue, I agree with you that they are flexible, non microphonic and have little memory!

Quote:
x2, thanks for your detailed comparison Daanish. I haven't heard the DBAs, but most of what you say reminds me of the CK10. As for the e-Q5 you're pretty much mirroring my thoughts. I absolutely love their 'live' atmosphere, especially with classical, acoustic and jazz.
smile_phones.gif

Edit: what's your gripe with the Ortofon's cable? I think it's great, very flexible, non-microphonic and has almost no memory. If your issue is about wearing them over-ear, just get some Phonak silicon ear guides - they fit perfectly and make over-ear with the e-Q5 much easier.

Jan 4, 2011 at 5:11 PM Post #299 of 1,026
Got these recently and I gotta say that most of my impressions are positive, while the flaws were things I knew I had coming. There's so much to say that I may just review them...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back