Ortofon e-Q5 Impressions Thread
Nov 30, 2010 at 6:10 AM Post #136 of 1,026
Hi James, I am pretty interested in your comparison of the eq5 vs the fad sb. I read your review and the sb cable is better then the a. I also thought I might prefer the sb sound slightly over the a and the eq7. Really looking forward to your adding the eq5 to the shootout. And hoping htat you will get a gr10 loaner, lol. Greetings, Anouk,

Nov 30, 2010 at 8:56 AM Post #137 of 1,026

Thanks James! Your reviews were largely what got me hooked on the idea of the ortofons and I am definitely not disappointed, the sound is just amazing
Quote:
Quote:
They're heeeeeeeeereee!!!!!!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Musica Acoustics is AWESOME... it took less time to get to me from Japan than it does stuff within Canada!!! Definitely going to be getting my stuff from Dimitri in the future. Will post impressions on Saturday after my CFA exam!

Wow, congrats! And good luck for your exam! Looking forward to your impressions...
smile_phones.gif

I think the circumference is just slightly smaller, the SB's have to be sort of pushed and screwed into my ear a little while the e-q5 just slides in. I'll post side by side photos once I'm home for comparison

Quote:
I wonder how these have better fit than the SBs considering they have the same shape. It is it smaller in circumference? It is for sure longer...

Nov 30, 2010 at 6:17 PM Post #138 of 1,026
AHHH YEAH!!! I got my pair of eq5's
Out of the box they just sound amazing. I dunno how to decribe them yet as I've just opened them literally 5 mins. ago.
I might do a review after I burn these in. BTW the fit on the earphones are perfect for my ears so I dunno about you guys , it really does depend on your ear size.

Nov 30, 2010 at 6:42 PM Post #139 of 1,026

Have fun!!!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
 I'm loving them so far too!!!!

Quote:

AHHH YEAH!!! I got my pair of eq5's
Out of the box they just sound amazing. I dunno how to decribe them yet as I've just opened them literally 5 mins. ago.
I might do a review after I burn these in. BTW the fit on the earphones are perfect for my ears so I dunno about you guys , it really does depend on your ear size.

Nov 30, 2010 at 7:42 PM Post #140 of 1,026
Enjoy unboxing pics!!

Nov 30, 2010 at 8:53 PM Post #141 of 1,026
Hey Inks, snapped some pics, the e-q5 are noticeably smaller

Quote:
I wonder how these have better fit than the SBs considering they have the same shape. It is it smaller in circumference? It is for sure longer...

Nov 30, 2010 at 11:19 PM Post #142 of 1,026
^lol when I was trying to switch the eartips for the first time , I was having a bit of trouble but good thing I got the hang of it.

Dec 1, 2010 at 1:59 AM Post #143 of 1,026
Woah, those seem like they would have extremely good comfort for me based on the comparison pics to the Silver Bullets.

Dec 1, 2010 at 11:09 AM Post #146 of 1,026

From what I have read about the e-q7, they sound like a sidegrade to me as well with slightly less mids and more treble
Quote:
Quote:
is the eq-5 an upgrade, downgrade, or side-grade compared to eq-7?

e-Q5 are side-grade in my opinion. Sound wise is very similar to e-Q7.
cable, Packaging, Price is different as you may already noticed..

Dec 2, 2010 at 12:34 AM Post #147 of 1,026

Quote:
is the eq-5 an upgrade, downgrade, or side-grade compared to eq-7?

Considering the whole package and the bonus 7's come with and specially the little, LITTLE, price difference between 5's and 7's (Here in japan) i think you should get 7's as fast as you can!

Sound wise i like 7's more than 5's but sadly i cannot wear 7's anymore as it would cause some inner ear pain the moment i insert them. :frowning2:

Dec 3, 2010 at 11:13 PM Post #148 of 1,026
Burned in my EQ-5's with music and pink/white noise for almost 40 hours. (Mostly pink/white noise though)
As of now they sound crystal clear but all I can say is that the treble is kinda hurting my ears on some genres or generally music (at the point they're hurting my ears) , as for the bass it's not yet fully burned in so i won't make any final conclusions but I expected a little bit better even before burn in (I hope it changes once they're fully burned in). I listened to 320 kbps and FLACs. I'm still happy with them though they sound similar to my HD 555 expecting a huge upgrade from them. I'll be back with a few updates once I fully burn them in and/or notice some changes

Dec 4, 2010 at 2:50 AM Post #149 of 1,026
EQ5 = HD555 = pass to me.  Although the EQs are supposed to have amazing clarity close or matching the DBA which the HD555 does not have.  Similar bass response would be bad though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back