Oriolus Hybrid IEM
Sep 27, 2018 at 3:49 AM Post #1,321 of 1,871
Sep 27, 2018 at 3:49 AM Post #1,322 of 1,871
yes... this is par for the course with IEM users. The key is to get something that seals, is comfortable, and doesn't create excessive resonances (allowing the tuning of the IEM to come through without changing its intended sound). Foams are best for smoothing out upper mid and treble spikes, and for this reason many believe that treble and detail are sacrificed. I believe that detail retrieval is actually increased on some IEMs using foams because spikes in the treble actually mask nearby frequencies. Yes, using foams will come at a slight treble attenuation over silicone, but the linearity of the FR and isolation more than compensate for it IMO.

I usually run the gamut of tips before giving up on an IEM: all stock tips, spinfits, spiral dots, genuine comply comfort and isolation varieties, campfire audio marshmallow tips, symbio mandarin, double flange wide bore, etc.

The bottom line is that you have to roll. What works for my ears may not work for yours and at the end of the day, the more tips you have to roll, the better chance you have of perfecting that IEM to your liking. It is well worth the effort - enjoy the journey!
thanks

Sep 28, 2018 at 5:31 AM Post #1,323 of 1,871
Just got my Finschi in but one side of the cable is defective... oh well.

Using my own 2 pin cable and spiraldots - very much enjoying the sound so far. Anyone else getting alot of driver flex though?

Sep 28, 2018 at 6:44 AM Post #1,324 of 1,871
Just got my Finschi in but one side of the cable is defective... oh well.

Using my own 2 pin cable and spiraldots - very much enjoying the sound so far. Anyone else getting alot of driver flex though?
Light seal eliminates it. It's meant to be shallow fit after all

Sep 28, 2018 at 3:56 PM Post #1,325 of 1,871
Light seal eliminates it. It's meant to be shallow fit after all
I don't understand this at all. A good seal is essential to getting the best sound - a light seal would mean compromising the bass response.

I didn't experience any driver flex on the unit I tested (with a proper seal).

Sep 28, 2018 at 4:00 PM Post #1,326 of 1,871
I don't understand this at all. A good seal is essential to getting the best sound - a light seal would mean compromising the bass response.

I didn't experience any driver flex on the unit I tested (with a proper seal).
I think what he means is do not push these so deep into your ears, a gentle shalow fit should do the trick.

Sep 29, 2018 at 1:41 AM Post #1,331 of 1,871
It's unfortunate but necessary

when you guys say "driver flex", you mean the metallic crinkle sound that happens sometimes when you seat them in? Or are you describing something that happens when the music is playing that adversely affects the sound?

to alleviate the driver flex (crinkle sound upon insertion) foams and deliberately slow insertion seem to work for me - no matter how deep I choose to go.

And please educate me.... is it really a bad thing? Other than the funny sound it makes when inserting, I wouldn't think this would cause harm unless its done with enough force to pop the driver (or am I mistaken)?

Sep 29, 2018 at 2:46 AM Post #1,332 of 1,871
when you guys say "driver flex", you mean the metallic crinkle sound that happens sometimes when you seat them in? Or are you describing something that happens when the music is playing that adversely affects the sound?

to alleviate the driver flex (crinkle sound upon insertion) foams and deliberately slow insertion seem to work for me - no matter how deep I choose to go.

And please educate me.... is it really a bad thing? Other than the funny sound it makes when inserting, I wouldn't think this would cause harm unless its done with enough force to pop the driver (or am I mistaken)?
If a deal is too strong , the bass driver can't move properly, mids will sound distant and bass extension is affected. However, the crinkly noise is not an issue. Adjust the iem only if there is any sound issue

Users who are viewing this thread

Back