ORA GrapheneQ - The world's first Graphene driver headphone
Jul 3, 2020 at 9:10 PM Post #1,141 of 1,288
We know you just meant it in a joking way :)

Ha! Thanks, yes I did. :) Have to say I love your avatar, haha! So true! :) So if anybody is still interested in these headphones check the C lassifieds here.

Jul 6, 2020 at 2:28 PM Post #1,142 of 1,288
1.5 months later, they're finally back, my Sonarworks individually calibrated headphones! Graph of their natural response attached, hopefully it helps you all. The 2nd attachment is my calibration settings for 'hyping' EDM & hiphop back up a bit. Tips appreciated to help offset the cost of calibrating them but not required, my venmo is @michaelmcadams or pm me for paypal if you're feeling generous. Preliminary review below:

Listening on a Benchmark DAC1 mastering grade DAC with Spotify content at very high quality.
The results kinda shocked me, but also explains what I think I was hearing before calibration. With calibration on at 100% it's almost too sterile and clinical to listen to in some cases(and I'm used to listening to fully calibrated headphones and calibrated Barefoot monitors in my recording studio). It sounds more natural at 70% wetness of calibration but perhaps I just need to get more used to truly flat, brutally honest audio.
Correction kills all of the nice bass these naturally have, brings vocals way more front and center, seems to expand the stereo image by 10% (like wideness being at 9 and 3 o'clock instead of 10 and 2 o'clock), and removes the 12db 8khz boost they have which sounds annoying now without the correction. The left channel does seem to have more bass like we thought, but not as much of a dramatic difference as we probably thought. Without correction they still sound but more like a muffled Beats in comparison to corrected.

Brief summary of genres listened to:
Classic rock/Country/Acoustic rock: It sounds like panned guitar amps are literally next to me now instead of in another room, solo guitar and vocals now dominate the mix, I can hear reverb trails of vocals for way longer and clearly, natural instruments sound more realistic, overall more enjoyable now.

HipHop: Mixes like Whiz Khalifa - on my level now sound balanced in bass instead of overpowering, better vocal clarity, bass more clear instead of boomy, mixes that don't have have tons of bass needs a +6db bass boost shelf boost and a slight treble tilt to make it listenable or it sounds too boring and not like HipHop, hihats don't make my ears bleed anymore.

Jazz: Correction shines very well on everything Jazz. Saxophone sounds distinctly less nasaly/sharp, much smoother and more natural sounding, nothing sounds hyped and feels like I'm on the 2nd floor, center in relation to the band, bass is plentiful and not lacking, very enjoyable.

Classical: Thoughts mostly the same as Jazz, except I feel the need to keep it at 70% wetness of correction or it sounds a bit too sterile, perhaps because the instruments are recorded further away than in Jazz? Instruments like Cello sound much better, less brittle. Orchestral works sound much more balanced and easier to listen to without that sharp 8khz peak. Bass/treble boost not necessary but work if you want it a bit more hyped.
'Bach - Orchestral Suite No. 3 in D Major, BWV 1068: 2. Air - Orpheus Chamber Orchestra' sounds simply magical.

EDM: This is where everything sounds much more sterile and boring now due to lack of bass. Synths sound more clear, less annoying, much more front and center but less exciting. White noise during drops is less annoying and smooth. I feel the need to set the same +6 db bass self boost with +3 db treble boost, along with correction at 70% wetness to make EDM exciting to listen to (see 2nd attached graph for the correction I use in this case with the simulated after)

After making this review I've decided I'll probably keep it at 80% wetness of correction by default so that it retains some of its natural curves but is still flat within +/- 3db across the entire spectrum.

Attachments

• graphene sonarworks.jpg
    graphene sonarworks.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 0
  • graphene 70 wet with boost and tilt.jpg
    graphene 70 wet with boost and tilt.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 0
Jul 6, 2020 at 4:00 PM Post #1,143 of 1,288
1.5 months later, they're finally back, my Sonarworks individually calibrated headphones! Graph of their natural response attached, hopefully it helps you all. The 2nd attachment is my calibration settings for 'hyping' EDM & hiphop back up a bit. Tips appreciated to help offset the cost of calibrating them but not required, my venmo is @michaelmcadams or pm me for paypal if you're feeling generous. Preliminary review below:

Listening on a Benchmark DAC1 mastering grade DAC with Spotify content at very high quality.
The results kinda shocked me, but also explains what I think I was hearing before calibration. With calibration on at 100% it's almost too sterile and clinical to listen to in some cases(and I'm used to listening to fully calibrated headphones and calibrated Barefoot monitors in my recording studio). It sounds more natural at 70% wetness of calibration but perhaps I just need to get more used to truly flat, brutally honest audio.
Correction kills all of the nice bass these naturally have, brings vocals way more front and center, seems to expand the stereo image by 10% (like wideness being at 9 and 3 o'clock instead of 10 and 2 o'clock), and removes the 12db 8khz boost they have which sounds annoying now without the correction. The left channel does seem to have more bass like we thought, but not as much of a dramatic difference as we probably thought. Without correction they still sound but more like a muffled Beats in comparison to corrected.

Classic rock/Country/Acoustic rock: It sounds like panned guitar amps are literally next to me now instead of in another room, solo guitar and vocals now dominate the mix, I can hear reverb trails of vocals for way longer and clearly, natural instruments sound more realistic, overall more enjoyable now.

HipHop: Mixes like Whiz Khalifa - on my level now sound balanced in bass instead of overpowering, better vocal clarity, bass more clear instead of boomy, mixes that don't have have tons of bass needs a +6db bass boost shelf boost and a slight treble tilt to make it listenable or it sounds too boring and not like HipHop, hihats don't make my ears bleed anymore.

Jazz: Correction shines very well on everything Jazz. Saxophone sounds distinctly less nasaly/sharp, much smoother and more natural sounding, nothing sounds hyped and feels like I'm on the 2nd floor, center in relation to the band, bass is plentiful and not lacking, very enjoyable.

Classical: Thoughts mostly the same as Jazz, except I feel the need to keep it at 70% wetness of correction or it sounds a bit too sterile, perhaps because the instruments are recorded further away than in Jazz? Instruments like Cello sound much better, less brittle. Orchestral works sound much more balanced and easier to listen to without that sharp 8khz peak. Bass/treble boost not necessary but work if you want it a bit more hyped.
'Bach - Orchestral Suite No. 3 in D Major, BWV 1068: 2. Air - Orpheus Chamber Orchestra' sounds simply magical.

EDM: This is where everything sounds much more sterile and boring now due to lack of bass. Synths sound more clear, less annoying, much more front and center but less exciting. White noise during drops is less annoying and smooth. I feel the need to set the same +6 db bass self boost with +3 db treble boost, along with correction at 70% wetness to make EDM exciting to listen to (see 2nd attached graph for the correction I use in this case with the simulated after)

After making this review I've decided I'll probably keep it at 80% wetness of correction by default so that it retains some of its natural curves but is still flat within +/- 3db across the entire spectrum.

Thanks for sharing. Similar experience here, with similar but slightly different graphs.

I'm a drummer/percussionist and saxophonist and record in my home studio. Mostly jazz, but plenty of rock, funk, pop, and Trip-Hop as well.

With correction, the bass & midbass is incredibly articulate and accurate to my live room experience. For example, the attack, transients, open resonance, and decay of my more "open" jazz kick drums are stunningly lifelike. I feel as if I'm listening to my actual playing rather than monitoring a recording. :)

It does help a bit to add a bit of a bass shelf as well, especially when tracking. That's usually somewhere between +2.5dB to + 3.0dB for jazz and maybe a touch more for rock, etc.

I own a wide range of drum kits, classic Gretsch Roundbadge and a modern Broadkaster, and classic Ludwigs, to the newer Sakae kits. My main practice kit is a simple but great sounding Mapex Armory. With the microphones I'm using, these headphones reproduce all of these very accurately to my live, in-room experience.

Same goes for the detail and accuracy of my cymbals. Again, I use all types & brands of vintage and modern cymbals. Simply incredible and lifelike cymbals with either my Samar VL-37A ribbons or Lewitt LCT-550 LDC overhead microphones.

Though I also need to add a +1.5 to +3.0dB shelf above 10k to get that lifelike shimmer and detail in the decay. But it remains smooth and doesn't get harsh or fatiguing at all in the GQ's.

But that might be more due to my slight hearing loss in the high end due to playing drums and somewhat loud live events for too many years. :p

I also need to add about the same slight boost on the high end and low end to get that REALISTIC bite and grunt from my saxophones. Same goes for the articulation of ghost notes and the crack of snare rim-shots. That realism may be a bit harsh for most listeners, but it's accurate to my live, in-room experience, and that's HOW I LIKE IT!

In real life, a sharp blast from the sax or a snare drum rim-shot WILL make you flinch. :wink: But most people are usually not too keen on that experience when listening to their everyday music.

Cello/violin/strings are absolutely beautiful as well. So rich and lifelike. The realism and micro-detail in acoustic double bass is uncanny. Check out the Steph Johnson Trio "Nature Girl" album (my avatar).

I'll try to share my graphs and corrections when I get home next week.

Oh, my DAC/Headphone Amp and ADC are the Mytek Brooklyn/Brooklyn Bridge. Also have an Oppo HA-1.

Studio monitors are custom DIY using the BMS 5CN162HE midrange/high-frequency concentric drivers combined with 10" Ciare midbass drivers, and then two separate Infinity Beta 15" subs. Also have a pair of the small Neumann KH120A active monitors.

Sorry for the long ramble. But I definitely feel that the GQ headphones are easily worth what we paid!

The articulation and detail in the bass after correction is one of the absolute best I've experienced, and the mids & highs are incredibly detailed and resolving while remaining "natural" as well.

Good recordings of full orchestra with powerful timpani drums, chimes/bells/triangles, crisp snare drum, and cymbal crashes are spectacular, along with the richness and REALISM of the string instruments.

The pinpoint imaging, black space between instruments, and sound stage are excellent, especially for a closed-back design. :)

And it's just an added bonus to have the Bluetooth capabilities. :)

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2020 at 4:12 PM Post #1,144 of 1,288
Bbfoto,

Did you opt to have yours Bluetooth calibrated? If so was the calibration different at all? I only had mine wired calibrated with a 10' coil cable I provided. Also I agree on all your points and that they're especially amazing after calibration and minor tweaking. They may end up replacing my (averaged) calibrated hd650s as my reference pair.

Jul 6, 2020 at 5:20 PM Post #1,146 of 1,288
Still no ORA here.

That’s total BS Mary. They said last month that they’d send the last few to Europe. I honestly expected Ora to send those last few via rush delivery for making those buyers wait so much longer than everyone else!

Jul 6, 2020 at 5:26 PM Post #1,147 of 1,288
That’s total BS Mary. They said last month that they’d send the last few to Europe. I honestly expected Ora to send those last few via rush delivery for making those buyers wait so much longer than everyone else!
Tom was one of the early adopters.....and now he has literally died waiting. He would want me to have them.

Jul 6, 2020 at 5:29 PM Post #1,148 of 1,288
Tom was one of the early adopters.....and now he has literally died waiting. He would want me to have them.

Dang straight he would.

C’mon Ora, get Mary her headphones already!!

Jul 6, 2020 at 6:58 PM Post #1,149 of 1,288
Bbfoto,

Did you opt to have yours Bluetooth calibrated? If so was the calibration different at all? I only had mine wired calibrated with a 10' coil cable I provided. Also I agree on all your points and that they're especially amazing after calibration and minor tweaking. They may end up replacing my (averaged) calibrated hd650s as my reference pair.

No, I didn't bother with the BT calibration as I would mostly use that for more casual listening with my smartphone and maybe some basic in-app EQ.

Jul 6, 2020 at 9:37 PM Post #1,150 of 1,288

Thank you for sharing! I have done an approximation of the EQ necessary to make them more neutral using the very limited wavelet app, and wow... much better, and I already thought that they sounded great.

Jul 8, 2020 at 1:00 AM Post #1,151 of 1,288
Yeah so I just acquired the Qudelix 5K with full interest in tuning closer to the Harman curve and am wondering if it’s even necessary. I had previously been using the out of box BT and apple products (mac out or lighting dac) and this thing sounds great without any EQ.

I’ve played with taming the presence and approximation of the harman curve; turns out I really enjoy the stock tuning out of the right source.

Jul 11, 2020 at 3:40 AM Post #1,152 of 1,288
I never gave any sort of update on headphone comfort, my bad. Still think there just wasn't enough adjustment length. I have to wear these with the band a little forward of where I usually have it with every other headphone. If I move this back of where I usually have it, there's not enough clamping pressure to keep them in place. And at that point, the band isn't playing any sort of role in supporting placement on the head anyway, kinda doesn't make any sense. So unfortunately, my conclusion on comfort is still going to be a solid meh. Need a smaller head. Sounds pretty good though, this time I have it plugged into my desktop amp and it still sounds great. Quite a clean sound, these really shine with orchestral or jazz type pieces because the instrument sounds just so damn good. I'm listening to the Cowboy Bebop OST and these sound fantastic.

Jul 11, 2020 at 4:45 AM Post #1,153 of 1,288
I never gave any sort of update on headphone comfort, my bad. Still think there just wasn't enough adjustment length. I have to wear these with the band a little forward of where I usually have it with every other headphone. If I move this back of where I usually have it, there's not enough clamping pressure to keep them in place. And at that point, the band isn't playing any sort of role in supporting placement on the head anyway, kinda doesn't make any sense. So unfortunately, my conclusion on comfort is still going to be a solid meh. Need a smaller head. Sounds pretty good though, this time I have it plugged into my desktop amp and it still sounds great. Quite a clean sound, these really shine with orchestral or jazz type pieces because the instrument sounds just so damn good. I'm listening to the Cowboy Bebop OST and these sound fantastic.

I forgot about that Cowboy Bebop OST. That's a fantastic and fun recording. I need to pick that up along with the others! Do you have the original & official 1998 CD, the Limited Edition Re-Issued 2018 Blu-Rays & LPs, or one of the Bootlegs?

Sorry to hear about your fitment issues. I have an average size head but with large-ish ears and I regularly wear the GQs for 3-5 hours with no real discomfort. I actually keep the yokes extended only about 3/8" max on each side as well.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2020 at 10:08 AM Post #1,154 of 1,288
I wound up using @Slater (if I remember correctly) rec for Brainwavz HM5 hybrid pads - the bigger pad openings really help to address the shorter than desirable headband by giving more room for my ears to fit. Also the headband isn’t necessarily short, it just is less than ideally shaped (too straight). By bending the headband carefully I am able to get the headphone to cover my ears more comfortably.

For me the challenge is going to be between keeping these or my new Drop Panda headphones. I think the GQ sound better, but even with all I have done to the GQ, the Pandas are much more comfortable - for me.

Jul 11, 2020 at 9:47 PM Post #1,155 of 1,288
I forgot about that Cowboy Bebop OST. That's a fantastic and fun recording. I need to pick that up along with the others! Do you have the original & official 1998 CD, the Limited Edition Re-Issued 2018 Blu-Rays & LPs, or one of the Bootlegs?

Sorry to hear about your fitment issues. I have an average size head but with large-ish ears and I regularly wear the GQs for 3-5 hours with no real discomfort. I actually keep the yokes extended only about 3/8" max on each side as well.
Bootleg. It's been quite a long while. But at least it was a lossless rip.

I wound up using @Slater (if I remember correctly) rec for Brainwavz HM5 hybrid pads - the bigger pad openings really help to address the shorter than desirable headband by giving more room for my ears to fit. Also the headband isn’t necessarily short, it just is less than ideally shaped (too straight). By bending the headband carefully I am able to get the headphone to cover my ears more comfortably.

For me the challenge is going to be between keeping these or my new Drop Panda headphones. I think the GQ sound better, but even with all I have done to the GQ, the Pandas are much more comfortable - for me.
I forgot about the headband bending. I should see if I can carefully do that just a bit and see if it helps out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back