ORA GrapheneQ - The world's first Graphene driver headphone
Jul 15, 2020 at 6:48 AM Post #1,156 of 1,288
Ora GQ sounds great on tubes btw. Very spacious and euphonic. Been listening on my Xduoo TA-20 and portable Little Bear B4X

Jul 17, 2020 at 8:14 PM Post #1,157 of 1,288
Looks like the last of the European stragglers are going to get their Oras very soon:

July update!

Hi Backers,
As we prepare to ship the last units out, we wanted to recognize that a lot of our European backers (where most of these last headphones are going) might be out of town, enjoying their summer vacation. In an effort to minimize logistical problems with deliveries, we wanted to give all European backers the opportunity to update their address, perhaps to a friend or family member that would be able to receive the headphones. Note that we have 65 units going out next week and the remaining 150 a few weeks after that.
Please send us your updated addresses to support@ora-sound.com before Tuesday July 21st !
If for some reason you would like to delay the delivery until you are back from vacation, please also let us know.
Thank you and happy summer!
- The Ora Team

Jul 17, 2020 at 8:51 PM Post #1,158 of 1,288
and the remaining 150 a few weeks after that.

That does not seem soon.

...and how many people are running around having holidays? Everyone I know is still trying to shelter as much as possible.

Jul 18, 2020 at 2:10 AM Post #1,159 of 1,288
Fun story about these!

So I work in tech with very talented engineers who nerd out about explaining material properties at the atomic level to come up with a new design. They’re crazy.

So I’m in a meeting where graphene was suggested as a thermal solution for a design project and someone else joked about how it’s great if only it could get out of the lab. I got to look them dead in the (VC) face and say 😎 “I actually have graphene headphones... it’s out of the lab.”

Lol the looks on their faces

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2020 at 11:21 PM Post #1,160 of 1,288
Fun story about these!

So I work in tech with very talented engineers who nerd out about explaining material properties at the atomic level to come up with a new design. They’re crazy.

So I’m in a meeting where graphene was suggested as a thermal solution for a design project and someone else joked about how it’s great if only it could get out of the lab. I got to look them dead in the (VC) face and say 😎 “I actually have graphene headphones... it’s out of the lab.”

Lol the looks on their faces
That must have been SO satisfying.

Jul 27, 2020 at 5:06 PM Post #1,162 of 1,288
Recieved my Ora headphones today.
Mixed feelings so far. Finish and design is too plasticy for my taste but OK, I am coming from Focals. Sound is so detailed that it sometimes hurts my ears :) not sure if it's good or not.
It seems they go so deep into low frequencies that I can feel it in the ears. Definitely some pressure with trombone like instruments.
But the bass is probably best in quality I have heard so far but the quantity is a little bit too much. Highs are missing a little bit of sparkle. Mids/vocals are fine but nothing special, maybe a little recessed.
Stage is OK but not very broad after open Focals or even Sony Z1R IEMs. Focal Clear sounds more natural and relaxed.
Did not try higher quality sources, only Bluetooth (aptx HD) and cable from Xperia 1ii. Xperia can drive them at around 80% btw.

Jul 27, 2020 at 8:18 PM Post #1,163 of 1,288
I feel like I had to reduce the mids and raise the highs a little to get a sound I really liked. Took down the bass just a bit since it felt a bit overpowering compared to other frequencies. Using a Sound Blaster Zx with wasapi wired and flac for reference.
Overall I'm pretty pleased with them especially since they were bought at the lower price in a two pack.

Anyone have an Equalizer APO tune for these?

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2020 at 7:47 AM Post #1,164 of 1,288
I live in France, and I just received mine today.

Still early to conclude anything, yet :
- I concur on the fact that the gray areas don't give a premium visual feel to the headphones
- They do fit comfortably on my head/ears though I wear glasses
- I'm honestly impressed by the level of details and resolution
- As I have read these past months, bass can be prominent on some cases

Definitely glad to see the end of wait, and the technology seems to be relevent so will see what lies ahead for these grapheneQ drivers.

Jul 29, 2020 at 8:43 AM Post #1,165 of 1,288
I live in France, and I just received mine today.

Still early to conclude anything, yet :
- I concur on the fact that the gray areas don't give a premium visual feel to the headphones
- They do fit comfortably on my head/ears though I wear glasses
- I'm honestly impressed by the level of details and resolution
- As I have read these past months, bass can be prominent on some cases

Definitely glad to see the end of wait, and the technology seems to be relevent so will see what lies ahead for these grapheneQ drivers.

Did you have a tracking number? No tracking number here so probably more weeks of waiting for @HungryPanda 's Ora. Sad as he was one of the first to sign up but will be one of the last to receive them.... and now he is no longer alive to enjoy them. He paid for them. He would want me to have them. Maybe they will never arrive.

Jul 29, 2020 at 8:45 AM Post #1,166 of 1,288
Lots of mixed reviews on these. Very strange, like nobody is hearing the same thing.

Jul 29, 2020 at 11:17 AM Post #1,167 of 1,288
Did you have a tracking number? No tracking number here so probably more weeks of waiting for @HungryPanda 's Ora. Sad as he was one of the first to sign up but will be one of the last to receive them.... and now he is no longer alive to enjoy them. He paid for them. He would want me to have them. Maybe they will never arrive.

Didn't receive any tracking number until I was contacted by DHL to pay the import tax.
The parcel seems to have been shipped directly from Hong Kong by a sender called AALIMITED

Jul 29, 2020 at 11:25 AM Post #1,168 of 1,288
Lots of mixed reviews on these. Very strange, like nobody is hearing the same thing.

I think the fit issues a lot of people have contribute to 75% of the mixed reviews.

The cup extension and lack of adequate articulation (tilt/swivel) affects the seal for people.

In addition, the above issues in combination with how high the driver is placed in the cup will interact with different parts of the outer ear in different people. This will also affect the sound.

And finally, it does sound a bit different when used Bluetooth vs wired. So that factor comes into play as well.

Aug 31, 2020 at 3:10 AM Post #1,170 of 1,288
Has anybody been able to try out the Ora headphones or the driver in an open-back shell? Also has anyone been successful with ordering a pair of Ora drivers?

I’ve been thinking about the implementation of this technology for a while. I think that they won’t be selling drivers as parts like that, it kind of waters down the brand.

I’d actually really love to see this material in Harman designs! I was thinking about Bose or Drop for a while, they fit into the nimble startup or advanced engineering paths which could be natural targets for a licensed model. But I actually really like Harman.

Between the AKG and JBL brands, headphones are covered with 2 frequency response curves for different audiences. The company is exceptional at advanced R&D while at the same time, they have the scaled production lines. They also have some of the best and most interesting patents on cone shaped drivers that may be beneficial for this technologies implementation.

Harman also just released the JBL Club One, with Graphene coated traditional drivers. I took a flyer on them and they actually blew my mind. Some of the best closed backs I’ve ever heard. Imagining the GrapheneQ technology in the AKG K712, K371 and JBL Club One or similar models makes me really excited. Harman understands acoustic structures as well, which is a key point in the deployment and execution of this technology.

I can imagine tweeters and woofers in a range of both Bluetooth and hifi speakers.

Lastly, they don’t overcharge for their products. This isn’t just important for sales but aligns with the very premise of this technology in delivering the benefits of hifi audio for all people in all situations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back