Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread
Aug 13, 2014 at 2:12 PM Post #2,961 of 3,729
I received my Lambskin Leather Earpads (Alternative) this morning, but stuck at work most of the day. 
wink_face.gif

Aug 13, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #2,962 of 3,729
  I received my Lambskin Leather Earpads (Alternative) this morning, but stuck at work most of the day. 
wink_face.gif

really really curious as to how (if they will) alter the sound. it's a game changing concept, on the one hand you can get the PM-2 cheaper (less 200 bucks) or you can go the PM-1 route and get two pairs of earpads with different sound sigs. kinda like having 2 similar yet different planars in 1 pair

Aug 13, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #2,963 of 3,729
I received my Lambskin Leather Earpads (Alternative) this morning, but stuck at work most of the day.  :wink_face:
How much they cost? I am thinking of getting the cheaper PM2 and these pads. Thanks

Aug 13, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #2,965 of 3,729
Musicdirect is selling the PM-1 and HA-1 now in their website.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Aug 14, 2014 at 1:09 AM Post #2,966 of 3,729
  subscribing, need to find out if changing the pads will indeed change the SQ, won't have the chance to listen to a PM-1 with the alternative pads for at least a month

With alternative lambskin leather pads, I find the mid-treble is bit more pronounced particularly on voices and strings, additionally upper treble which used to be a bit recessed has improved, as has imaging.  Listening on PM-1's using a variety of tracks with HA-1 using balanced cable, with Audrivana Plus 1.5.12.6.

Will be interesting to hear from others here on what they think comparing the new alternative pads to the original PM-1 pads.

Aug 14, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #2,967 of 3,729
Received my alternative lambskin pads for my PM-1's from Oppo earlier today.   Thank you Oppo.   After a few hours of listening to some of my favorite tracks from a variety of genres in my collection, I can  say that the alternative lambskin pads are very much 'different' than the stock lambskin pads.   I'd like to emphasize that they are not better in my view but give a different sonic footprint.   A  wider sound stage.  The high frequency roll off that so many have complained about  has been decreased, making the 1's sound brighter without being "tizzy" or fatiguing.   The bass is much the same with maybe a tad more clarity without loosing any of that heft I love so much.  A good thing!  The lovely mid range has alas suffered with all this tuning and fussing about.   It seems slightly diminished.  Not as robust.  However,  I am NOT retiring my stock lambskin pads anytime soon and the new pads are FREE for PM-1 owners so it's a win win situation, so whats not to like.   

Aug 14, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #2,968 of 3,729
  Received my alternative lambskin pads for my PM-1's from Oppo earlier today.   Thank you Oppo.   After a few hours of listening to some of my favorite tracks from a variety of genres in my collection, I can  say that the alternative lambskin pads are very much 'different' than the stock lambskin pads.   I'd like to emphasize that they are not better in my view but give a different sonic footprint.   A  wider sound stage.  The high frequency roll off that so many have complained about  has been decreased, making the 1's sound brighter without being "tizzy" or fatiguing.   The bass is much the same with maybe a tad more clarity without loosing any of that heft I love so much.  A good thing!  The lovely mid range has alas suffered with all this tuning and fussing about.   It seems slightly diminished.  Not as robust.  However,  I am NOT retiring my stock lambskin pads anytime soon and the new pads are FREE for PM-1 owners so it's a win win situation, so whats not to like.   

I thought maybe the midrange was diminished but it might be it is no longer as dominate.   The tuning might have actually made the treble equally as present therefore changing your perception.  I'm still listening, interesting alternative for sure!

Aug 14, 2014 at 11:53 PM Post #2,969 of 3,729

I thought maybe the midrange was diminished but it might be it is no longer as dominate.   The tuning might have actually made the treble equally as present therefore changing your perception.  I'm still listening, interesting alternative for sure!

I listened to the not quite prime time versions at the SF Bay meet last month.  @HiFiAudio, I had more of your experience than @Raptor34's experience.  The high and low frequencies seemed tipped up just a bit, with the rest of the spectrum relatively untouched.  Take my brief impression for what it's worth, which is probably not much - a month ago, and prototype pads.  OK, never mind, nothing to see here….

Aug 15, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #2,970 of 3,729
  With alternative lambskin leather pads, I find the mid-treble is bit more pronounced particularly on voices and strings, additionally upper treble which used to be a bit recessed has improved, as has imaging.  Listening on PM-1's using a variety of tracks with HA-1 using balanced cable, with Audrivana Plus 1.5.12.6.

Will be interesting to hear from others here on what they think comparing the new alternative pads to the original PM-1 pads.

Just received my alternative pads.  I have the same impressions, based on the same setup (PM-1, HA-1, balanced, and Audirvana Plus); it is obvious after only a few minutes of listening to the alternative pads versus the velour pads.  But it will take some time to figure out what I like best.  The soundstage is definitely wider than before, which I like, but time will tell what I think overall.

There are two visual differences between the original and alternative leather pads: (1) there's no felt ring on the alternative pads; and (2) the perforation pattern on the inner surface of the original pads matches the outer surface and goes all the way around, while the perforations on the inner surface of the alternatives are missing from the central portions of the long axis of the pad.  HasturTheYellow wrote in a note to me that the density of the foam has changed in the alternative pads.

I hope they can offer the same alternative sound, but with velour.  HasturTheYellow answered my query about that by saying they're discussing that possibility with the sound engineers, but there are no current plans or promises about issuing another pad.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back