Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread
Aug 15, 2014 at 3:46 PM Post #2,972 of 3,729
I have been using the new "alternative" pads for around 24 hours and I'm afraid I'm missing the stock lambskin pads more every minute!   I just don't like my PM's with the new pads.   There is something prickly
rolleyes.gif
  about the in your face and up front sonic presentation the new pads impart.  Good for some maybe but not for me.   Who cares if the anarchist technoids on the other threads want the PM's to sound like this, I don't and I paid for my pair!   I choose the stock pads.   Best sounding headphones ever!  

Aug 15, 2014 at 4:32 PM Post #2,973 of 3,729
  I have been using the new "alternative" pads for around 24 hours and I'm afraid I'm missing the stock lambskin pads more every minute!   I just don't like my PM's with the new pads.   There is something prickly
rolleyes.gif
  about the in your face and up front sonic presentation the new pads impart.  Good for some maybe but not for me.   Who cares if the anarchist technoids on the other threads want the PM's to sound like this, I don't and I paid for my pair!   I choose the stock pads.   Best sounding headphones ever!  

Actually, hearing the PM-2 gave me plenty of ideas why Oppo tuned the PM-1 the way they did.  If they tried to push the treble, it would have been edgy and a little harder to digest.  The smooth sound definitely works much better for the PM-1 IMO (without retuning the drivers and entire system itself that is).  The "technoids" weren't exactly saying they wanted the Oppo PM-1 to sound like that, they were simply pointing out a flaw that was observed by other impressions and through measurements.  

With that said, I did hear Purrin say that the PM-1 alt pads sounded better than the PM-2 stock pads on the PM-1...  

Aug 15, 2014 at 7:23 PM Post #2,974 of 3,729
As seen online
From September 2014, all new PM-1’s will include the three ear pad designs (original lambskin and original velour plus the newly designed lambskin ear pads) in the package so that customers can choose which they prefer.  For existing customers, OPPO is offering the new alternative ear pads free of charge (including shipping) as a goodwill gesture, allowing customers the chance to try the new design for themselves.

The new ear pads are expected to be available late August 2014 and the offer will remain open to all existing PM-1 customers until 31st July 2015. 

This was from a UK news post, but its the same for USA.

Aug 17, 2014 at 9:21 AM Post #2,975 of 3,729
Honestly wish I'd never found this thread. I want these and the HA-1 so badly but I'm just a poor UK uni student who could never justifying dropping 2 grand on these! :frowning2:

Loving the impressions though! Gotta admit I'm impressed with Oppo giving out the extra earpads for free.

Aug 17, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #2,976 of 3,729
rolleyes.gif

I'm getting used to the alternative lambskin ear pads over the original.   Here's a question, whats better a response where the treble is less present so if your playing Little Talks (Of Monsters and Men) for example its not so much treble and more bass, midrange so it sounds easier on the ears or hearing how the recording really sounds?  The point I am making after listening to both for many hours they almost offer enough of a sound signature difference to be attractive to two different person's tastes.  
smile.gif

Aug 17, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #2,977 of 3,729
I'm getting used to the alternative lambskin ear pads over the original.   Here's a question, whats better a response where the treble is less present so if your playing Little Talks (Of Monsters and Men) for example its not so much treble and more bass, midrange so it sounds easier on the ears or hearing how the recording really sounds?  The point I am making after listening to both for many hours they almost offer enough of a sound signature difference to be attractive to two different person's tastes.  :smile:
I have to do more listening with the alternative pads, I only did a few songs such as Lenny kravitz American woman, and it seem like less bass and smaller sound stage compared to the stock pads, so back with the stock pads, Being said that I appreciate the gestor from Oppo, I have to do more comparison. .
Mike

Aug 17, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #2,978 of 3,729
As seen online
This was from a UK news post, but its the same for USA.

I have been an Oppo fan for about 10 years now. I have always admired their excellence in customer service. Though I have been disappointed by the sound of the Oppo PM-1, I knew that Oppo would do whatever it takes to please their customers.

Though the alternate pads still do not improve the transparency of the sound enough yet for me--I am not talking about the trebles increase but about lifting the veil over the midrange--kudos to Oppo for being sensitive to the the customers' feedback.

Other high-end headphone companies who shall remain nameless--you know who you are--can learn a few things from Oppo.

Aug 17, 2014 at 5:59 PM Post #2,979 of 3,729
I have to do more listening with the alternative pads, I only did a few songs such as Lenny kravitz American woman, and it seem like less bass and smaller sound stage compared to the stock pads, so back with the stock pads, Being said that I appreciate the gestor from Oppo, I have to do more comparison. .

Mike

Are we all getting the same alternate pads?

JML and I posted the piuctures of the pads on the "other" Oppo thread so you can check it out. They are mainly the same pads with the felt ring removed.

While JML and I strongly disagree on our liking of the alternate sound, we completely agree on the biggest changes: less center-fill (I called it center focus) and larger soundstage with the alternate pads.

Having listened to the sound some more this weekend, I stick to my initial impression.

There is very little change in the transparency or clarity of the Oppo PM-1 with the new pads. The soundstage opended up and the center fill (mostly midrange) is a little wider (less tight or focussed) so the sound seems a little brighter but when I focussed on specific sounds of string instruments and female vocals, the trebles are essentially unchanged.

I fully agree with kkcc in his earlier assessment: The "resolution/details/transparency/soundstage..." remain the greatest weakness of this otherwise excellent headphone.

The alternate pads have improved those attributes but the PM-1 still lag behind the big boys in those areas even with the improvement brought about by the alternate pads.

By the way, for those of you who think that Oppo has gone too far with the alternate pads, you can tune your owm PM-1 by just using different sizes felt rings that you can easily make yourself. I did. It is tweaker's paradise!.

Instead of tube-rolling now we have felt-rolling. That has a nice...ring to it. (Sorry, folks! I cannot help myself)

Aug 17, 2014 at 6:29 PM Post #2,980 of 3,729

I'm getting used to the alternative lambskin ear pads over the original.   Here's a question, whats better a response where the treble is less present so if your playing Little Talks (Of Monsters and Men) for example its not so much treble and more bass, midrange so it sounds easier on the ears or hearing how the recording really sounds?  The point I am making after listening to both for many hours they almost offer enough of a sound signature difference to be attractive to two different person's tastes.  
smile.gif

Agreed.   Good idea.  If you like them, by all means use them.   I think having the ability to tune your headphones without voiding the warranty is awesome!   I just prefer Oppo's original sound signature with the leather pads.  
biggrin.gif

Aug 18, 2014 at 8:41 PM Post #2,981 of 3,729
Does Oppo send a shipping acknowledgment when they are sending the pads out? Or do I just assume they have been sent as of mid-August?

Aug 18, 2014 at 9:39 PM Post #2,984 of 3,729
  Does Oppo send a shipping acknowledgment when they are sending the pads out? Or do I just assume they have been sent as of mid-August?

I did not receive an email either, but after contacting them, the pads had been sent like the others and they gave me the tracking number. Maybe it's because I am from Canada, are you too? Anyway, they just left the US according to tracking and they're on their way here.

Aug 19, 2014 at 1:25 AM Post #2,985 of 3,729

Not all requests have been fulfilled since we received half of the pads we had expected to receive due to our high QC standards. You will receive a shipping confirmation once more pads have been received from our factory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back