Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread
Jun 22, 2014 at 6:13 AM Post #2,597 of 3,729
I haven't heard the HD800's for a long time so can't directly help you there, and I haven't heard the PM-1 yet either, but a quick search for HD800 in this thread brings up a lot of information from varying users opinions. The consensus seems to be that while not as forward and apparent the detail is still there. This would lead some to believe the PM-1 is less 'airy'. Others would call it laid back or more liquid compared to the HD800.

Jun 22, 2014 at 11:41 AM Post #2,599 of 3,729
I just wanted to comment that the recent impressions are very useful. There's a lot I digest, especially with a handful of new planars coming out.

Jun 22, 2014 at 1:27 PM Post #2,600 of 3,729

How do these compare to the HD800s for detail?

The HD800 is much higher resolving than the PM-1, so much so, I've had to create a separate playlist, just for the HD800, because I can't stand listening to the HD800 with most of my library and have only recently found a DAC and amp combination that allow me to actually use the HD800 for listening to music instead of using it exclusively as a microscope for analyzing the resolving power of upstream components.  But yes, the HD800 delivers much more detail than the PM-1, if that's what you want.  

In my opinion, the PM-1 is a lot easier to live with.

Mike

Jun 22, 2014 at 2:12 PM Post #2,601 of 3,729

The HD800 is much higher resolving than the PM-1, so much so, I've had to create a separate playlist, just for the HD800, because I can't stand listening to the HD800 with most of my library and have only recently found a DAC and amp combination that allow me to actually use the HD800 for listening to music instead of using it exclusively as a microscope for analyzing the resolving power of upstream components.  But yes, the HD800 delivers much more detail than the PM-1, if that's what you want.  

In my opinion, the PM-1 is a lot easier to live with.

Mike

I have yet to actually like the HD800 (I've tried several times, though never under ideal conditions, hence the yet).  I like the PM-1.  A lot.  Beta Tester disclaimer.

Jun 22, 2014 at 2:35 PM Post #2,602 of 3,729

Resolution is the HD800's party trick. IOW, it's what they do best, and only a few of other cans even come close; Stax SR-009s, SR-007s, and Fostex TH900s. If the Senns rate a 10/10 on that scale, I'd put the Oppos at a 6.5 or 7.

Jun 23, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #2,603 of 3,729
  I have yet to actually like the HD800 (I've tried several times, though never under ideal conditions, hence the yet).  I like the PM-1.  A lot.  Beta Tester disclaimer.

I think for most PM-1 (or actually maybe the PM-2) would make more sense than HD800 as the upstream investment required to enjoy HD800 is a lot more... But with a decent config HD800 is by far more resolving, reference, AND musical than the PM-1.

Having said that, I really look forward to a closed version of the PM-1 as I really want a nice closed portable to use with my Chord Hugo....

Jun 23, 2014 at 10:19 PM Post #2,604 of 3,729
Question for Pm-1 owners I had mines for bout a month now and I was wondering if anyone notice on the outside of the ear can if you tilt closely to the light it looks like certain blacker spots like smudges or such,,thanks..I also notice in other personal pictures

Jun 24, 2014 at 9:14 PM Post #2,607 of 3,729
No need to worry about this. Our fingers are always on the pulse of the community, and we take all feedback seriously. As I said back several moons ago, we are always looking to improve our products, but we prefer to make changes which are actionary, not reactionary.

The PM-1 and the PM-2 share the same components, with changes in secondary components (housing, band and earcups being synthetic leather, OFC cables, etc) being the only differentiating factors. This means that all tuning can be done by simple manipulation of the earpads, rather than the headphones themselves.

This allows us great latitude in what we are able to do for you, the end customer, in terms of defining the overall audio experience from our current line of headphone products.

As a proof of concept, the PM-2 headphones auditioned at the Chicago meet uses the same driver and ear cup design as the PM-1. The only difference was the ear pads. It is always our intention to make our headphones be the best headphones we can produce, so it has always been our intention to make enhancements to the headphones which are not disruptive to the customer (ex. Having to replace/recall/refurbish the headphones to make them sound different). Being able to offer alternative/replacement earpads, the key component of our tuning, is a key component to ensuring the absolute best performance of our headphone products to our customers.

As part of this intention, we will be making the new earpad design for our current customers free of charge. You can continue to use your current leather earpads, the velour earpads, and in the future, the re-tuned earpads completely as your personal preference.

We will be announcing more details in the future on how to obtain these alternative/replacement earpads. So, in the interim, continue to sit back, relax, and know you are in good, capable hands.

EDIT: I seem to always post long comments after a big meal. Some language has been cleared up. You will likely see more edits from me in the future.

Interesting!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back