Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread
Jun 24, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #2,611 of 3,729
IAM much more impressed with my pm1 now over a month,soundstage is wider, Dynamic, deeper Bass,Been listening to Cold Play,Ghost Stories, New Album,Just have to give them time to develop into a bigger jem ,As for the tiny black Blemishes on the side of the cans I assumed is normal, I I seen it through other personal pictures. .
Mike

Jun 25, 2014 at 9:30 AM Post #2,617 of 3,729
Here are my short impressions of PM-1 after listening them for three weeks.

They are really easy to listen. Physically light and comfortable (especially compared to Audeze) and sound wise there is nothing that bothers. So they are ideal, although expensive, for background listening. But for me my <100 bucks Koss phones are enough for that purpose.

For serious listening I compared them to Audeze LCD-3 one week ago. There are differences in bass and mids but I cannot describe them and they don't matter to me. Bigger difference is in highs. Shortly put: LCD-3 has very realistic and "organic" highs and PM-1 plastic or "silicony" highs which are lacking some fine detail and texture.

Compared to Beyerdynamic T1 it's the same - PM-1 is lacking some reality or life in highs - even when listening to some mp3's. PM-1 has much better frequency balance though.

So PM-1's are going back to shop. LCD-3 is too heavy for me so have to settle Beyerdynamic T1 (which are little too bright) for now.

Equipment: Exposure 2010s2 CD player & Graham Slee Solo ULD headphone amp.

Jun 25, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #2,618 of 3,729
this is a pic of a site from someone else's review,if you click on the pic, this is what I was talking about black blemishes. .anyone else have this? I have a few spots on mines..Or is this just normal..

Jun 25, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #2,621 of 3,729
Just dampen a soft cloth with a mild cleaning liquid [I used diluted Fantastic].
Some gentle wiping and the PM-1 look as good as new.
biggrin.gif

Jun 25, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #2,623 of 3,729
Amped the PM-1 with the beta 22.
More dynamic and forward presentation, more high frequency energy, wider--but not appreciably deeper--soundstage, better layering, but not as finely resolving nor extended in the bass compared to the BCL.  The beta is a comparatively "brighter" amp than the BCL.
I am better adjusting to, and more appreciating, the balance of the PM-1 as the hours go by.
With the BCL, I find the treble resolution quite good albeit the treble seems somewhat "reserved" compared to my other headphones at this time. 

Jun 25, 2014 at 4:39 PM Post #2,625 of 3,729
Thanks to all the owners who have posted impressions.

A question to those owners who have tried the PM1 with affordable amps:
What amps ( home ) should I consider getting to maximise the bass experience with the PM2 that I'm planning to get?

I'm a borderline bass-head, but quality of bass is as important to me as quantity.

I currently own a Vincent HKV-111 and a modified Grant Fidelity Tubedac-11, I don't suppose anyone has listened to the PM-1 through either of these?
I am also considering getting a O2, what's the general consensus regarding this combo?

Thanks to any who offer advice or opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back