Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone!
Oct 25, 2013 at 2:09 AM Post #511 of 2,563

I think the "fully open" in the quote is referring to sound not form factor, no? 

Both, actually,  Planar-magnetic transducers are by their very nature dipolar; Magnepan® has the rears of the Magneplanar® floor-standing speakers open so that the tweeters (and midranges where applicable) can function properly.  With a planar-magnetic headset, the outside world hears what ye'd hear in the headset, only reverse-phase and softer.

Oct 25, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #512 of 2,563
Oct 25, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #513 of 2,563

Both, actually,  Planar-magnetic transducers are by their very nature dipolar; Magnepan® has the rears of the Magneplanar® floor-standing speakers open so that the tweeters (and midranges where applicable) can function properly.  With a planar-magnetic headset, the outside world hears what ye'd hear in the headset, only reverse-phase and softer.

Interesting, thanks. 

Oct 25, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #515 of 2,563
i like the look of this dark choco brown can...handsome.

Oct 26, 2013 at 12:07 AM Post #517 of 2,563
Color was due to my dodgy digital camera that can't AWB so well. I tried to correct it but that's about the best I can do.

Oct 26, 2013 at 9:23 PM Post #521 of 2,563
Oppo climbed to the top of the DVD/Bluray world by making offerings most folks can afford. With direct sales and good engineering, chocked full of good parts in a package that needs to be sold in volume for profits. I hope they bring that philosophy and business model to headphones.... 6-7 hundred is what my gut is saying! It would leave sales (and profits) on the table if it's to much higher.

I still have the 971 I bought almost ten years ago from these folks...... gave it to Mom, then she gave it back when she passed. With the code I made it region free and it still spins some European offerings.

Oct 27, 2013 at 7:25 AM Post #523 of 2,563
  Are they open or closed? I assumed they were open headphones?

They look semi-open, not much info but from picture perspective point, it looks well-built, not very big, comfy, lightweight and maybe good for portable use. Noise leak and isolation is subjective as I've seen plenty of people on public transport use Grado/Alessandro and HD555/595's. 

Oct 27, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #524 of 2,563
So much speculation and hype, totally HF! I agree with those who own their BDP-105. It is one of the best CD/SACD/DVD/BluRay players out there. Dual ES9018 DACS, etc! The Absolute Sound compared it to units 5 to 10x its $1300 price. This could be a game changer. Go Hype and Speculation!

Oct 27, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #525 of 2,563
Head-Fi is so used to behemoths like the LCD-3 and PS1000 that when we see a TOTL can that has tons of modern visual design work put into it, we tend to automatically assume portability.

The fact that it's seen in press photos with a desktop amp, that it's an open design, that it's a planar, and that it's made from heavy-looking materials all point to home-oriented use. However, the thin cables are intriguing and could possibly mean portability, so we don't really know at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back