OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread
Apr 27, 2018 at 2:10 PM Post #4,712 of 4,883
Just received a used HA-2, haven't had much time with it. I have the 10cm left-angle Micro-USB to C cable everyone is talking about (bought when the Shanling M1 came out in 2016 and their included micro to C cable wasn't working properly) and it only works with the HA-2 occasionally. But again, I need more testing.

Anyway, my HA-2 didn't come with the AC power adapter. I know the USB cable supports VOCC charging, and the AC adapter is supposed to. Does it matter what adapter I use, or should I try and seek out an HA-2 VOCC power adapter?

It will charge OK with any 5v USB source and micro USB cable, I would recommend getting a quick charger if you can though.

My 2SE came with two Oppo chargers a UK and Euro one so I got a spare VOOC cable from ebay so that it can be quick charged at home and work.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2018 at 6:50 PM Post #4,713 of 4,883
For what it's worth, Oppo US has a waiting list of people for the Micro-to-C cable. I emailed asking about availability and they added me to the list.

Apr 27, 2018 at 8:51 PM Post #4,715 of 4,883
For what it's worth, Oppo US has a waiting list of people for the Micro-to-C cable. I emailed asking about availability and they added me to the list.
Seriously? Order the one from eBay mentioned in this post: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/opp...scussion-thread.755879/page-306#post-13795134

I just noticed it's out of stock. Order this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/292006934515
It is the same. I tested it and told the seller she could mention OPPO in the listing, she created a new listing.

Apr 27, 2018 at 10:09 PM Post #4,716 of 4,883
Seriously? Order the one from eBay mentioned in this post: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/opp...scussion-thread.755879/page-306#post-13795134

I just noticed it's out of stock. Order this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/292006934515
It is the same. I tested it and told the seller she could mention OPPO in the listing, she created a new listing.
Like I mentioned a few posts up, that looks like the cable I bought in 2016 for the Shanling M1 (same seller, same length). It doesn't work all of the time when I connect my S9 and the HA-2, so I'd like an official cable as a backup, as long as it's not AudioQuest-cable expensive. Not to mention, if I decide to sell this later on, including an official cable would be helpful.

May 1, 2018 at 5:12 PM Post #4,719 of 4,883
Like I mentioned a few posts up, that looks like the cable I bought in 2016 for the Shanling M1 (same seller, same length). It doesn't work all of the time when I connect my S9 and the HA-2, so I'd like an official cable as a backup, as long as it's not AudioQuest-cable expensive. Not to mention, if I decide to sell this later on, including an official cable would be helpful.
It is definitely up to you, I am just trying to help. But many cables look alike. I tried so many, I had to label them. The listing I mentioned (https://www.ebay.com/itm/292052970340) was created on March 11, 2017. I know this because I reported the working cable to the seller (yourcharger) and she created the listing. If you bought yours in 2016 it's not the same one. The listing above sold 500 cables. Everybody on this thread who bought one reported that it is working fine. I bet OPPO gets it from this seller too. By the way, it is back in stock (eBay link above). If OPPO gets it in stock soon this could support the idea that they get it from this seller.

May 1, 2018 at 11:20 PM Post #4,720 of 4,883
It is definitely up to you, I am just trying to help. But many cables look alike. I tried so many, I had to label them. The listing I mentioned (https://www.ebay.com/itm/292052970340) was created on March 11, 2017. I know this because I reported the working cable to the seller (yourcharger) and she created the listing. If you bought yours in 2016 it's not the same one. The listing above sold 500 cables. Everybody on this thread who bought one reported that it is working fine. I bet OPPO gets it from this seller too. By the way, it is back in stock (eBay link above). If OPPO gets it in stock soon this could support the idea that they get it from this seller.
Thanks for clarifying. I'll keep it in mind; right now I need to get my company's IT department to allow me to install the driver for use on my PC.

May 2, 2018 at 2:39 AM Post #4,721 of 4,883

Oppo get their cable from somewhere else, the one I have has the Oppo brand name molded into the connection. The Oppo cable is not the cheapest but it worth the £10 I paid for it.

May 9, 2018 at 3:19 AM Post #4,723 of 4,883
I have a friend who was very impressed with my HA2-SE amplifier playing to PM3 headphones. He is someone who spends a lot of times in planes, listening to classical music over headphones from an iPod. He is currently using Beyerdynamic T5P high end passive phones. He is interested in buying a headphone amp/DAC like the HA2-SE but does not want to buy into a now out-of-production device. With the best will in the world, service and warranty for Oppo products is bound to become problematic, as they shut down their regional agencies and lay off the staff.

What do folk feel is the nearest equivalent to the HA2-SE in sound quality and form factor, with at least equal battery life and with a bass boost switch but that is still in current production? One feature he particularly liked was the rotating volume control rather than up-down buttons. I like this as well, as easier to get precise and quick adjustment than stepper buttons.

Wilson

PS Should have added that quality is of greater consideration than price.

Last edited:
May 9, 2018 at 5:39 AM Post #4,724 of 4,883
Q5 is a good option. I went this way. It is a bit more warm thant the Oppo, but an excellent product and it has aptx Bluetooth and replaceable amp modules.

May 9, 2018 at 10:58 AM Post #4,725 of 4,883
I have a friend who was very impressed with my HA2-SE amplifier playing to PM3 headphones. He is someone who spends a lot of times in planes, listening to classical music over headphones from an iPod. He is currently using Beyerdynamic T5P high end passive phones. He is interested in buying a headphone amp/DAC like the HA2-SE but does not want to buy into a now out-of-production device. With the best will in the world, service and warranty for Oppo products is bound to become problematic, as they shut down their regional agencies and lay off the staff.

What do folk feel is the nearest equivalent to the HA2-SE in sound quality and form factor, with at least equal battery life and with a bass boost switch but that is still in current production? One feature he particularly liked was the rotating volume control rather than up-down buttons. I like this as well, as easier to get precise and quick adjustment than stepper buttons.

Wilson

PS Should have added that quality is of greater consideration than price.

I would nominate the RHA Dacamp L1, which debuted at a somewhat higher MSRP if I'm remembering it right, but now at an HA-2-like $299.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back