OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread
Feb 27, 2016 at 2:40 PM Post #3,078 of 4,883
Which Burson? I have the Soloist SL Mk II and upgraded to it from the HA-2. Obviously a big difference. If you have high impedence cans and the cash, it's a no brainer. I used to have the HA-2 at full volume a lot of the time with my HD600's and T90's - now I have lots of headroom. It's quite nice.

You nailed it. That's what I was hoping: That the Burson Soloist SL MkII would be a big upgrade from the HA-2...seems like it's an upgrade from more than a headroom standpoint.

Feb 27, 2016 at 5:00 PM Post #3,079 of 4,883
anyone selling their oppo dac? thanks

Feb 27, 2016 at 10:42 PM Post #3,082 of 4,883
Is there really a point to using this with 320k MP3 files? Or would I be better served with a (much) cheaper amp/DAC? I've got V-MODA Crossfade Wireless (so of course I'd be using an amp/DAC when used with the cord) and a Klipsch AS-5i in-ear.

Feb 27, 2016 at 10:48 PM Post #3,083 of 4,883
Just got my Oppo HA-2, there doesn't seem to be any talk on burn-in.  Anybody notice improvements with burn-in?  

Feb 27, 2016 at 10:51 PM Post #3,084 of 4,883
mp3s sound better too, i cant notice much differrence between 320 mp3 and flac anyways

Just got my Oppo HA-2, there doesn't seem to be any talk on burn-in here.  Anybody notice improvements with burn-in?  

Isnt it good as it is?

Feb 27, 2016 at 10:59 PM Post #3,085 of 4,883
Isnt it good as it is?

Compared to my current setup 320 kbps/iPhone -> Mydac -> O2 amp -> SE846, it's not. I'm hoping it will improve with burn-in.  The sound is too clean and lacks micro details audible in my old setup.  I am hoping burn-in will clear up the sound a bit and expand the soundstage a little.  My current setup has too many components, I want to reduce it down to one device.  

Feb 29, 2016 at 4:22 PM Post #3,087 of 4,883
Hi guys,

Could someone please tell which headphones I better buy for the oppo ha-2? I mean whether they should be 32ohm or say 300ohm? You see, some say that this amp sounds better, much better?, with low ohm headphones and basically shows the next stats as an argument,

Maximum Headphone Output Power:
-300 mW into 16 Ohm
-220 mW into 32 Ohm
-30 mW into 300 Ohm

saying oppo plays the best with 32ohm, whereas using headphones with even lowest ohm param you will hear the background sound of the amplifier, and with bigger ohm headphones oppo ha-2 might not has enough power for them. So I'm curious is there any potential problems with high ohm headphones (max. 300 ohm that oppo can handle by the specs)? Personally I had these in my wish list, though I didn't had a chance to listen them at all (note they are all high ohm):

1. German Maestro GMP 400
2. Sennheiser HD 600 / HD 650 (Blue Stage Edition?)
3. Beyerdynamic T90
4. Beyerdynamic DT880 / DT990

Thanks

Feb 29, 2016 at 10:07 PM Post #3,088 of 4,883
  Hi guys,

Could someone please tell which headphones I better buy for the oppo ha-2? I mean whether they should be 32ohm or say 300ohm? You see, some say that this amp sounds better, much better?, with low ohm headphones and basically shows the next stats as an argument,

saying oppo plays the best with 32ohm, whereas using headphones with even lowest ohm param you will hear the background sound of the amplifier, and with bigger ohm headphones oppo ha-2 might not has enough power for them. So I'm curious is there any potential problems with high ohm headphones (max. 300 ohm that oppo can handle by the specs)? Personally I had these in my wish list, though I didn't had a chance to listen them at all (note they are all high ohm):

3. Beyerdynamic T90

Thanks

That's not how you should interpret spec. Whoever told you that '300 mW into 16 Ohm' is better sounding than '30 mW into 300 Ohm' has no idea what he is talking about. Spec also doesn't in any way say it can only go up to 300ohm headphone. Manufacturer just listed those number out of common practice in the industry, not because that's the true limitation of the amp. Beside, impedance is not the only factor to look at when determine what headphone Oppo can drive - you need to look at sensitivity of the headphone as well as the maximum voltage swing fo the amp.

Feb 29, 2016 at 11:58 PM Post #3,089 of 4,883
  Hi guys,

3. Beyerdynamic T90

Thanks

I had the oppo with both the T90 and the HD600. it was rather nice but i was always at the highest end of the oppo's output volume. sometimes maxed out and needing more. buying a solid desktop amp was the best thing i did for those two phones.

Mar 1, 2016 at 4:17 AM Post #3,090 of 4,883
Thank you, guys. May be you could list some headphones that could be reasonable to listen to with the amp? The thing is my local store doesn't has wide range of headphones so I have to give them a list of models so they order them into the store where I could listen to. Or that could be a general guidance, the only constraints I can think of is that they should be under $500 amount. May be OPPO pm-3? I heard that they sounds really good with the amp...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back