OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread
Mar 5, 2016 at 4:19 PM Post #3,109 of 4,883
I just received my HA-2.  It's charging now.  I plan to pair it with my AK120ii, using the AK as the DAC and the HA-2 as the amp.  The "cans" are the SE846.  Will post listening impressions soon.

I must say, the build quality seems very impressive, and the presentation / packaging is cooler than Apple's.

Cheers -
RCB

Mar 5, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #3,110 of 4,883
I just received my HA-2.  It's charging now.  I plan to pair it with my AK120ii, using the AK as the DAC and the HA-2 as the amp.  The "cans" are the SE846.  Will post listening impressions soon.

I must say, the build quality seems very impressive, and the presentation / packaging is cooler than Apple's.

Cheers -

RCB

You might just like the DAC in the HA2 more but im sure you will explore all options.

Mar 5, 2016 at 4:33 PM Post #3,111 of 4,883
Yes, for sure.  It's impressive that the device comes with all the interconnect cables you need for A/B/C.  Who else does that?

What I like (the idea) is that battery life is purported to be 12-hrs with "C" while only 7-hrs with A/B.  Do you folks have experience with the battery life for the different configurations?

Thanks for your help -

Mar 5, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #3,113 of 4,883
OK cool.  That verifies the data from Oppo that claims 7-8 hours when used as a DAC.  Thank you -

Mar 5, 2016 at 11:08 PM Post #3,114 of 4,883
Initial listening is very favorable.  The rig is:  AK120ii - 3.5mm analog - HA-2 - SE846 / LCD-X.

Setup was seamless.  Just set the AK for line-out, connect the 3.5mm analog cable, switch the HA-2 to input "C" and go.  Start with both devices turned OFF, then power on the AK and then the HA-2.  I also turned the AK's volume all the way up, and controlled the rig's volume with the HA-2.

Started with the Shure SE846 which are great IEM's.  They already sounded good with just the AK120ii, but now with the HA-2 as the amp in the rig, they sound over the top.  Effortless, smooth reference sound that is not bright but is very engaging.  The floor is black - zero - no hiss, hum or other distractions.  The SQ is superb - a big, open sound stage and detailed instruments.  Tested with Allen Toussaint's A Bright Mississippi which is 16/44.1 ALAC.

Changed to the LCD-X.  The connection is difficult due to the cables (see the pic) - XLR to 1/4" then 1/4" to 1/8" - yuck.  However, it was worth it.  The system sounded really good.  Tested with Yes: The Yes Album and Fragile, both 24/192 FLAC.  This music sounded perfect - plenty of bass punch and very detailed mids/treble.  Jon Anderson's voice was right there.  Then, tested again with the Allen Toussant album...the jazz wasn't quite as good as the home rig (duh) but the sound was quite interesting...again perfect bass and more to-the-front mids/treble compared to the home rig.  I wasn't ready for that, and it made the "X" sound nice.  I was impressed.

Net - this is a very nice upgrade to my portable rig, and can also be used for home listening with planars like the LCD-X.

Mar 6, 2016 at 4:26 PM Post #3,115 of 4,883
I've been looking at the HA-2 for a while and spend far too long on here reading the almost universally good reviews. I'm not sure though if for me if it will make a noticeable improvements?

I use an iPhone 6S with 320 VBR MP3s as the music source with some RHA T20i IEMs. Has anyone tried this combination with an HA-2 added? Will it make a noticeable difference to the sound?

Ideally I'm looking for something that will add a little punch and low end and I'm hoping the bass boost function on the HA-2 might be the ticket?

Thanks for any opinions.

Mar 6, 2016 at 6:17 PM Post #3,116 of 4,883
I've been looking at the HA-2 for a while and spend far too long on here reading the almost universally good reviews. I'm not sure though if for me if it will make a noticeable improvements?

I use an iPhone 6S with 320 VBR MP3s as the music source with some RHA T20i IEMs. Has anyone tried this combination with an HA-2 added? Will it make a noticeable difference to the sound?

Ideally I'm looking for something that will add a little punch and low end and I'm hoping the bass boost function on the HA-2 might be the ticket?

Thanks for any opinions.

cant comment on the iphone as being an output vs the ha-2 as i've never owned an iphone. as far as the bass boost goes, when i had the ha-2 it was respectable, but i felt it had too much of a mid-bass emphasis that creeped into the mids and highs too much to be a great bass boost. YMMV

Mar 6, 2016 at 10:00 PM Post #3,117 of 4,883
I'm very sorry for any confusion that I may have caused. My experience has been with another amplifier entirely. I was asking about the HA2 as I wondered if it would have the same problem. Then I forgot that I was in the Oppo thread!!!

LOL... No worried dude. So far, in my experience, I have not experienced any interference when using the HA-2 with my iPhone 6. Hope it helps.

Mar 7, 2016 at 3:07 AM Post #3,118 of 4,883

Thanks for any opinions.

LOL... No worried dude. So far, in my experience, I have not experienced any interference when using the HA-2 with my iPhone 6. Hope it helps.

Yes. That was embarrassing!
What I mentioned about the 6S in particular stands though. It is known to have issues that earlier iPhones do not.
I do not know how it behaves with the Oppo specifically although replies to my question earlier report minor problems.
I would proceed with caution and buy from somewhere that accepts returns. Or be prepared to use a previous iPhone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back