OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread
Mar 11, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #3,136 of 4,883
Seems about right. Or use an older iPhone as a DAP, which I actually find more convenient as it can stay permanently linked.

Mar 11, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #3,137 of 4,883
So would I be right in thinking that if using an iPhone 6S then you need to be on iOS 9.3 else there will be intereference.

Also if I dont want a beta iOS that means I will have to wait for the official release of 9.3 which means I might as well wait to buy the HA-2?

It's an iOS issue, so it should not only affects HA-2, everything that uses digital signal from iOS 9.2.1 should be affected.  iOS 9.3 should be released soon, besides, if you don't want to wait, you can always use line out and just use the amp part of the HA-2 for now.

Mar 11, 2016 at 6:47 PM Post #3,139 of 4,883
Seems about right. Or use an older iPhone as a DAP, which I actually find more convenient as it can stay permanently linked.

Yep I guess that would work but I had specifically bought a 128GB iPhone this time so it could also be my music player so that would have been a bit of a waste then.

Also, and this may be a bit a no no around here given some of the earlier comments in this thread, but I like having my phone as the source because then I kniw if im getting a call or a message when I'm listening to music and I don't often have the luxury of being able to listen to music and ignore any interruptions.

Mar 11, 2016 at 6:59 PM Post #3,140 of 4,883
It's an iOS issue, so it should not only affects HA-2, everything that uses digital signal from iOS 9.2.1 should be affected.  iOS 9.3 should be released soon, besides, if you don't want to wait, you can always use line out and just use the amp part of the HA-2 for now.

Maybe I'm being dim, but I couldn't see how to get a line out on a newer lightning connector iPhone or iPod. It was one of the reasons I ended up looking at a DAC rather than just a headphone amp like the Fiio E12.

Mar 11, 2016 at 9:43 PM Post #3,141 of 4,883
Maybe I'm being dim, but I couldn't see how to get a line out on a newer lightning connector iPhone or iPod. It was one of the reasons I ended up looking at a DAC rather than just a headphone amp like the Fiio E12.

You could jailbreak IOS 9.2.1 and roll back to a firmware that works AFAIK. Don't know why anybody these days would leave themselves at the mercy of Apple when there are other options.

Mar 11, 2016 at 10:34 PM Post #3,143 of 4,883

​You don't use the Lightning port...  HA-2 or most amp has 3.5mm audio in, so just hook that up to the 3.5mm headphone jack on the iPhone/iPod for just the amp function with the audio cable that comes with, or get a Fiio L17 or something...

But for your other question..  Even if you have Lightning/DAC function working with your iPhone/Andriod, you still won't be able to received calls with them...  The ringtone comes through but the HA-2 (nor any DAC/Amp that I'm aware of) has no control/mic function built in on it's headphone jack, so when there's a call, you'll still need to take the call from your phone instead..  I wish they have built in control/mic function so badly as well...  Someone please point me to it, if there's any portable DAC/Amp with control/mic function built in...

Mar 11, 2016 at 10:52 PM Post #3,144 of 4,883
  You could jailbreak IOS 9.2.1 and roll back to a firmware that works AFAIK. Don't know why anybody these days would leave themselves at the mercy of Apple when there are other options.

​I use both platforms (6s+ and Note Edge currently), they each have their own pros and cons, Android by default is just as restrictive as iOS, heck, you can't even remove the Samsung junks, or the Google search bar without rooting or custom launchers...  Overall, iOS' UI is far more user friendly than Android IMO.

Mar 11, 2016 at 11:06 PM Post #3,145 of 4,883

​You don't use the Lightning port...  HA-2 or most amp has 3.5mm audio in, so just hook that up to the 3.5mm headphone jack on the iPhone/iPod for just the amp function with the audio cable that comes with, or get a Fiio L17 or something...

But for your other question..  Even if you have Lightning/DAC function working with your iPhone/Andriod, you still won't be able to received calls with them...  The ringtone comes through but the HA-2 (nor any DAC/Amp that I'm aware of) has no control/mic function built in on it's headphone jack, so when there's a call, you'll still need to take the call from your phone instead..  I wish they have built in control/mic function so badly as well...  Someone please point me to it, if there's any portable DAC/Amp with control/mic function built in...

If you're ok with headphone/amp/dac all-in-one solution, the Audeze EL-8 Titanium does just that. The amp/DAC is built into the headphone's cable. It has a mic, can take calls, and it connects to the iPhone through the lightning port, not the 3.5 mm connector.

Mar 11, 2016 at 11:17 PM Post #3,146 of 4,883
  If you're ok with headphone/amp/dac all-in-one solution, the Audeze EL-8 Titanium does just that. The amp/DAC is built into the headphone's cable. It has a mic, can take calls, and it connects to the iPhone through the lightning port, not the 3.5 mm connector.

​Interesting, thanks for the info!  But for iPhone, portability is my main concern and I usually use IEM when out :frowning2:

Mar 11, 2016 at 11:20 PM Post #3,147 of 4,883

​I use both platforms (6s+ and Note Edge currently), they each have their own pros and cons, Android by default is just as restrictive as iOS, heck, you can't even remove the Samsung junks, or the Google search bar without rooting or custom launchers...  Overall, iOS' UI is far more user friendly than Android IMO.

This is not an debate re IOS vs Android. I'm just saying there are options ie Rooting, always a good option 
biggrin.gif
 or jailbreaking for IOS. You can remove all that crap with these options. The caveat being it's not for the feint or heart or non tech savvy. Bottom line is the apple ecosystem is a closed one and Android is open.

A lot people are now using their smartphones as sources and it surprises me that more Head.Fier's do not have a great deal of knowledge in this area. It's one of the joys of owning a smartphone - unlocking them and exploring their true potential. Just have a look at the voodoo and viper sound mods for example. In addition many custom ROM's for Android. OK, that's an Android thing but one of the advantages of Android re IOS since you brought it up.

Anyway mate, I was suggesting to @hamza-m that this might be an option to get his oppo functioning.

Mar 11, 2016 at 11:49 PM Post #3,148 of 4,883

I don't think recommending somebody go out and buy a $800.00 AUD pair of headphones is the best advice in this particular scenario.

Mar 12, 2016 at 12:07 AM Post #3,150 of 4,883

With all due respect, he asked whether such a solution existed. Price was not a consideration in the question asked. So why are you presuming to take options off the table?

Mate, I was trying to sort his IOS issue out by rolling back to an earlier version so he could use the HA-2 without the glitches he was discussing. Cost = $0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back