OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread
Feb 19, 2016 at 3:11 PM Post #3,046 of 4,883
I've owned two HA-2's; both were stacked to phones, and both got warm to the touch after a couple hours of continuous use. I wouldn't worry about it, and we haven't heard of any qc issues with the HA-2's battery. 

It happens with my aluminum HTC One M8 as well. 

Feb 22, 2016 at 11:10 AM Post #3,047 of 4,883
Ok, so over on the Oppo PM-3 thread, I was evily informed of the Onkyo DP-X1 DAP coming out.  What is the general opinon of this DAP compared to the HA-2?  I requested a refund in order to put that money towards the DP-X1, but if that DAP doesn't sound as good as the HA-2, I will cancel the refund request. I like the idea of using a single device for both home and mobile (while running in Balanced). Though, balanced isn't a deal breaker for me. If the audio quality out of my current stack (Note 3 > HA-2) is better than that of the DP-X1... I would rather save the money. Any opinions?

Feb 22, 2016 at 11:15 AM Post #3,048 of 4,883
  Ok, so over on the Oppo PM-3 thread, I was evily informed of the Onkyo DP-X1 DAP coming out.  What is the general opinon of this DAP compared to the HA-2?  I requested a refund in order to put that money towards the DP-X1, but if that DAP doesn't sound as good as the HA-2, I will cancel the refund request. I like the idea of using a single device for both home and mobile (while running in Balanced). Though, balanced isn't a deal breaker for me. If the audio quality out of my current stack (Note 3 > HA-2) is better than that of the DP-X1... I would rather save the money. Any opinions?

well they both have the same DAC but different Amps.I have not heard the Onkyo but, if you are not in a hurry you should wait to see what the Ibasso DX200 is going to offer. I think the DX200 will be one of the best DAPs to come out, seriously. 

Feb 22, 2016 at 11:49 AM Post #3,049 of 4,883
  well they both have the same DAC but different Amps.I have not heard the Onkyo but, if you are not in a hurry you should wait to see what the Ibasso DX200 is going to offer. I think the DX200 will be one of the best DAPs to come out, seriously. 

Will that have balanced out, and be within the same ballpark price?  I'm leaning more towards Onkyo for the customer service and the fact they're a larger entity. Just makes me feel better for some reason (possibly unjustly). My thing too, is if I need to exchange it or get it repaired. I don't want to ship back to China.

Feb 22, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #3,050 of 4,883

Will that have balanced out, and be within the same ballpark price?  I'm leaning more towards Onkyo for the customer service and the fact they're a larger entity. Just makes me feel better for some reason (possibly unjustly). My thing too, is if I need to exchange it or get it repaired. I don't want to ship back to China.

Larger entity, or better known entity? Oppo sells helluva lot smartphones and stuff in China. Their 2013 or 2014 turnover was some 9.4 billion CNY which is a shy bit less than 1,5 billion USD - abouth three times what Onkyo makes a year (based on wikipedia) 
wink.gif

oops, I thought you were referring to the Oppo, and now I see it was the Ibasso, my bad.

Feb 22, 2016 at 8:21 PM Post #3,051 of 4,883
Larger entity, or better known entity? Oppo sells helluva lot smartphones and stuff in China. Their 2013 or 2014 turnover was some 9.4 billion CNY which is a shy bit less than 1,5 billion USD - abouth three times what Onkyo makes a year (based on wikipedia) :wink:  
oops, I thought you were referring to the Oppo, and now I see it was the Ibasso, my bad.

It's all good. I'm a fussy shopper and can never make up my mind. With the US version not released yet, I'm almost antsy and want to buy something sooner. When I have silly cash to spend, if I hang on to it... I'll end up buying more PC equipment or Art supplies that I don't need.

Feb 23, 2016 at 7:14 AM Post #3,052 of 4,883

I finally got one of the short cable from the TB guy..  I order the lightning and micro USB first and the Dock like a week later, but for whatever reason, the Dock cable arrived first..  Wasn't expecting much, but as it turned out the quality isn't that bad, and to my surprise, the bass seems a little more solid and wider soundstage??  But pretty sure it could be just placebo haha!  But either way, for it's price, it's a pretty sweat cable, can't wait for the lightning and micro USB to arrive :)

Feb 24, 2016 at 7:38 AM Post #3,053 of 4,883

Last weekend at the Canjam Singapore SLT Technologies exhibited the HA-2 with a leather case which seemed to be an official accessory with the Oppo branding and everything.
According to Nicholas Chua from SLT this is given as a goodie by Oppo for units that are sold at shows only.

Unfortunately, in the excitement I forgot to take some pics...It was like one of those leather cases for hand phones with one side holding the phone and the other having some slots to keep cards and maybe also cables (thought not sure if it is suitable for this).

However, I thought it to be a very nice addition to the HA-2. I've contacted Oppo to find out if there are any plans to offer this case as an accessory in the near future.
Will let you know.

P.s.: If anyone having photos of the HA-2 with the case, please let me know.

Edit: If this is the wrong thread to post this, please let me know. In that case I'll open a new thread.
        (I'm still a junior, please don't kill me) 
happy_face1.gif

Feb 24, 2016 at 11:58 AM Post #3,054 of 4,883
So I got the other 2 cables in, and happy to report they all work well with the HA-2...

For the Lightning hooked up to iPhone 6S+, it is MFI certified, so works just like the Oppo cable, with the same timeout issue :frowning2:

The micro USB, I guess to save cost, they only put OTG chip on one side??  So the OTG side HAS to connect to the phone (using Note Edge) or no handshake..  The original Oppo cable works on both sides.

Like I said in my last post, I do feel slight sound improvement with these cables, but it's minimal or placebo, OCC copper is still copper like any cable, I got them for their cheap price and cosmetic only :)  Really happy with them so far :)

Feb 24, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #3,055 of 4,883
  So I got the other 2 cables in, and happy to report they all work well with the HA-2...

For the Lightning hooked up to iPhone 6S+, it is MFI certified, so works just like the Oppo cable, with the same timeout issue :frowning2:

The micro USB, I guess to save cost, they only put OTG chip on one side??  So the OTG side HAS to connect to the phone (using Note Edge) or no handshake..  The original Oppo cable works on both sides.

Like I said in my last post, I do feel slight sound improvement with these cables, but it's minimal or placebo, OCC copper is still copper like any cable, I got them for their cheap price and cosmetic only :)  Really happy with them so far :)

There is no chip inside an OTG cable, the sensing that enables Host mode is done via tying pins 4+5 together.

In the Oppo included OTG cable, both ends have pin 4+5 tied, which is why you can use it in either direction and also why it doesn't make the HA-2 pull a charge off the phone.

Having pin 4+5 tied at one end only (the Host end) makes the cable directional, and also makes the HA-2 charge/deplete the phone's battery.

Feb 24, 2016 at 8:24 PM Post #3,057 of 4,883
With the US version not released yet...

Will one be coming out officially? I know they sell direct through their site, eBay and Amazon seem to only have overseas sellers.

Feb 24, 2016 at 8:32 PM Post #3,058 of 4,883
  Will one be coming out officially? I know they sell direct through their site, eBay and Amazon seem to only have overseas sellers.

On the Onkyo DP-X1 thread, I was told April I believe was to be the US release date.  Not certain though. I'm no longer getting it, as I most of my music is 320kbps MP3/FLAC with some stuff in the 24bit/96kHz range. I'll just deal with my Galaxy Note 3 for now and concentrate on a home amp instead.  If I start traveling more for work, then of course I'll be back in the hunt.

Feb 24, 2016 at 11:50 PM Post #3,059 of 4,883

There is no chip inside an OTG cable, the sensing that enables Host mode is done via tying pins 4+5 together.

In the Oppo included OTG cable, both ends have pin 4+5 tied, which is why you can use it in either direction and also why it doesn't make the HA-2 pull a charge off the phone.

Having pin 4+5 tied at one end only (the Host end) makes the cable directional, and also makes the HA-2 charge/deplete the phone's battery.

Thanks for the detail explanation!!  You're totally right!!  I just checked, when connecting the OTG to the phone and micro to the HA-2, the HA-2's charging indicator shows the HA-2 is being charged LOL!!!  Oh well, I'm not that good with soldering so I guess will have to see if the seller will exchange or get a new one :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back