OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread
Feb 18, 2016 at 5:43 AM Post #3,035 of 4,883
Well I got my Oppo HA-2 this morning from HiFix via Amazon (very fast delivery and well packaged). I know it works via LOD cable on mode C from my iPod Classic. I also tested it using my iPhone 5S on mode A using the lightning cable. However I cannot get it to work on my G7 iPod Classic via 30 pin on mode A. I've tried 2 Apple cables and one Frankenstein cable. The iPod lights up when I turn on the HA-2. I've tried the handshaking steps from earlier in this thread. Volume on both iPod and HA-2 is up., but no sound.

And then I held down the charge button for 5 seconds, a blue light comes on, the iPod starts charging and bingo! I do need to keep the powerbank on though as turning it off cuts the sound. Has anyone got the Classic to work via 30 pin without needing the blue light on?

Feb 18, 2016 at 10:14 AM Post #3,036 of 4,883
  Well I got my Oppo HA-2 this morning from HiFix via Amazon (very fast delivery and well packaged). I know it works via LOD cable on mode C from my iPod Classic. I also tested it using my iPhone 5S on mode A using the lightning cable. However I cannot get it to work on my G7 iPod Classic via 30 pin on mode A. I've tried 2 Apple cables and one Frankenstein cable. The iPod lights up when I turn on the HA-2. I've tried the handshaking steps from earlier in this thread. Volume on both iPod and HA-2 is up., but no sound.

And then I held down the charge button for 5 seconds, a blue light comes on, the iPod starts charging and bingo! I do need to keep the powerbank on though as turning it off cuts the sound. Has anyone got the Classic to work via 30 pin without needing the blue light on?

Yes, I have the G7 Classic working without powerbank mode.

I took no special steps to connect it, it wasn't fussy, with the iPod already on connect the cable with the HA-2 still turned off. Once connected, turn on the HA-2, that's all.

Feb 18, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #3,038 of 4,883
  It's really weird. If I do what you suggest then I can see a handshake where the volume control pops up on the iPod screen, but I still get no audio if the powerbank isn't enabled

That is strange.

The ipod's own volume control isn't defeated through the digital output like it is when using an analog LOD cable, so you do need to turn the iPod all the way up and then control the level with the HA-2's volume control.

Maybe try disconnecting, power cycle (or even soft reboot) the iPod, then reconnect and try again.

Oppo doesn't officially support the iPod Classic model, they admit it works but have also said there can be glitches because the Classic uses an older version of the MFI authentication than the one used for the HA-2 firmware.

That said, I personally have experienced no glitches or fussiness, and even going back one generation further, I also have a Classic Gen. 6 that works just fine with the HA-2.

Feb 18, 2016 at 11:02 AM Post #3,039 of 4,883
  It's really weird. If I do what you suggest then I can see a handshake where the volume control pops up on the iPod screen, but I still get no audio if the powerbank isn't enabled

You need a different cable. I had this issue with a certain brand and bought a cheaper one and that worked. What is the cable(s) you are currently using? I will look for the one I used.

Found it:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002LTIXK2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Feb 18, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #3,040 of 4,883
Ok, so. I have been playing with this DAC for a few days now. I typically sit at my office and listen to my music while working on my AudioEngine A2+ with USB interface and those connected to a cheap Monoprice 8" sub.  I ended up swapping my 8" sub for my 10" Polk Audio sub (thanks Deadpool and DMX for making me want more Bass!).  I listened to a few tracks of Adele as well (Remedy is one of my Favorites). This sounded great. So, I decided to feed my HA-2 into the A2+. WOW, is all I can say. They totally opened up and sounded MUCH better than with the built in DAC they come with. I'm sold!  Still not 100% sold on my Oppo PM-3, but I haven't given them enough Head time. I almost wish I had gone with the Sennheiser HD700 as those were the phones I convinced myself I wanted for a while now.

Feb 18, 2016 at 1:09 PM Post #3,041 of 4,883
so is oppo ha-2 is still the best?

Feb 18, 2016 at 2:00 PM Post #3,042 of 4,883
@waytoocrazy.
I seen on the PM3 thread you made a cable look at neutric for your jack. After you find one that fits try the pm3 again. The PM3 when amped right and with good mastered tracks the PM3s Rock.

Feb 18, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #3,043 of 4,883
@waytoocrazy.
I seen on the PM3 thread you made a cable look at neutric for your jack. After you find one that fits try the pm3 again. The PM3 when amped right and with good mastered tracks the PM3s Rock.

I used 2 ViaBlue jacks (which of course didn't work.  I also purchased 2 Switchcraft (unfortunately I did that before trying the ViaBlue... so those won't work either). The Neutriks I have on my current cable (running OCC Copper in a 4 wire braid) is being used to go from HA-2 to A2+ and I use it with my SHP-9500 (which sound great out of the HA-2).  I will keep searching on the plug end of things. I've seen a few, but I have to order from China to get them. So, S L O W delivery.

Feb 19, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #3,045 of 4,883
Is the HA-2 supposed to get warm after playing for couple of hours? I havent had it long enough to play it continueously for too long, but if its warm after couple of hours, l'm just worried about long flight use? Or should I get it looked at?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back