OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread
Feb 17, 2016 at 12:34 AM Post #3,016 of 4,883
Here's my car setup with the burn-in cable courtesy of howdy on one out, and the car stereo aux on the other. Thanks again to ClieOS and howdy!

Feb 17, 2016 at 1:14 AM Post #3,017 of 4,883
Here's my car setup with the burn-in cable courtesy of howdy on one out, and the car stereo aux on the other. Thanks again to ClieOS and howdy!

I love it when a plan comes together.

Feb 17, 2016 at 5:37 AM Post #3,019 of 4,883

If you're not using the dac on the oppo, why are you using it hooked up to your car aux input? Isn't that just double amping or maybe even triple amping since your car stereo will amp it too?

Feb 17, 2016 at 5:39 AM Post #3,020 of 4,883
So what is the best way to control the volume using and iPod classic and touch? Turn the HA-2 volume all the way up and control the volume by the apple device or turn the apple device all the way up and control the volume by the HA-2?

Feb 17, 2016 at 6:33 AM Post #3,023 of 4,883
  There're actually a lot more options if you look a little bit further east...  TaoBao is a China auction site like eBay and there're tons of custom cables for dirt cheap.  If you know anyone that can order for you, I think it's much better solution for HA-2..

This is said to be 7N OCC Lightning to USB A which I just ordered (haven't received).  They're like $15 each!
http://world.taobao.com/item/521701801173.htm?fromSite=main&spm=a1z09.2.0.0.Qb0kqm&_u=gb030fd0a4d

This is also 7N OCC Micro to Micro (Same seller) that I just ordered as well,  it's about $14 each..
http://world.taobao.com/item/45126593073.htm?fromSite=main&spm=5706.1529727.a31f1.3.XKX13w&scm=1007.11502.21311.100200300000003&pvid=9510cd61-fb78-4d78-be6c-38a93b5e505f

And right after I ordered the above, I found this guy with pure silver Micro to Micro for like $20, I like the smaller profile of the housings, thinking if I should just order another...
http://world.taobao.com/item/36777990110.htm?fromSite=main&spm=a312a.7700824.w4004-1184127615.6.JvD9rA

Well, maybe not dirt cheap, but for the materials used and customs, I say they're much better than the ones on eBay...

I have ordered the first one, thank you!
I will report back if they are working with iOS or not (as I need the new lightning connector)

Feb 17, 2016 at 7:04 AM Post #3,024 of 4,883
Does anyone know how the ha-2 compares to the iphone 5 headphone out? I'm looking to primarily use it with iems.

Also, would it work well with the Denon ah-d2000 and HiFiMAN He-400i?

The HA-2 sounds positively fabulous. I put it on high gain with the bass boost on. My second-favorite headphone ever.

Now the Denon will be tricky if it has the 6.3mm/1/4inch termination. You need to buy that heavy/bulky adapter from Sennheiser and Grado makes. I didn't like the extra adapter banging on my phone or the Oppo every time I moved it.

But the Oppo should easily be able to drive the denons if they're similarly sensitive as the Fostex TH-X00.

Feb 17, 2016 at 11:04 AM Post #3,026 of 4,883

The selling shipped mine today, hopefully, I'll get it by Friday and report back :)  But from the reviews, most are pretty happy with the quality.

Ive had that cable for about a month now (bought from Taobao as well) and have never tried it yet. Im not sure its exactly the same as it was for the Iphone/Mojo so it has the MFI chip in it. I was going to buy the Mojo but went for the iFi Micro instead. 

Feb 17, 2016 at 1:06 PM Post #3,027 of 4,883
If you're not using the dac on the oppo, why are you using it hooked up to your car aux input? Isn't that just double amping or maybe even triple amping since your car stereo will amp it too?

Cuz it sounds so much better? lol

Like I mentioned couple pages back, even though the audio is being triple-amped, the quality is much better than if it was coming straight from the AK100ii or the CD player of the car. Try it for yourself if you have a good sounding stack and see if you can tell a difference.

BTW, it's currently running on a '99 Honda Accord with stock stereo and speakers. I've also tested with a '98 Honda CR-V with Pioneer stereo and stock speakers, and '13 Toyota Prius V with stock stereo and speakers. All sound better through my stack.

Feb 17, 2016 at 1:09 PM Post #3,028 of 4,883
Cuz it sounds so much better? lol

Like I mentioned couple pages back, even though the audio is being triple-amped, the quality is much better than if it was coming straight from the AK100ii or the CD player of the car. Try it for yourself if you have a good sounding stack and see if you can tell a difference.

BTW, it's currently running on a '99 Honda Accord with stock stereo and speakers. I've also tested with a '98 Honda CR-V with Pioneer stereo and stock speakers, and '13 Toyota Prius V with stock stereo and speakers. All sound better through my stack.

I have played music through my phone using the HA-2 as a dac and it does sound better than directly out of my phone but you're not using the DAC but are instead just passing analog input through the HA-2 and using the headphone output as a line out.  Is it the bass boost that is making the sound better in your setup?

Feb 17, 2016 at 1:46 PM Post #3,029 of 4,883
I have played music through my phone using the HA-2 as a dac and it does sound better than directly out of my phone but you're not using the DAC but are instead just passing analog input through the HA-2 and using the headphone output as a line out.  Is it the bass boost that is making the sound better in your setup?

Nope, not using bass boost. The analog signal goes through the HA-2's amp section and is boosted before it gets to the car stereo. I'm guessing that's why I'm getting better audio quality. You can try this yourself by using the HO on your phone to the HA-2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back