Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Sep 29, 2017 at 7:20 PM Post #5,101 of 5,414
i upgraded my oppo ha1 power cable from the standard one. i think i paid about $200 USD back in 2014.
Mine look bit thicker than one showing on the link.
But to be honest i cannot tell the difference in the sound.
Such refreshing honesty. If a device really does sound or measure differently with a different power cable, it probably has a poorly designed or defective power supply. A well engineered power supply is robust and filtered so that it isolates the device from typical power line variations. So long as the power cable is thick enough to pass the current the device needs with minimal resistance and heat, and grounding is properly wired, it should make no difference.
Think of all the cables the power travels though before reaching your wall socket. Miles of high voltage lines, transformers, etc. None of it is fancy audiophile cabling, it is simple copper wire sized for the application and properly grounded. Then after traveling through miles of all this stuff, somehow the last 12 inches of wire before it reaches the device makes a difference? It would be an understatement to say that is implausible.

Sep 29, 2017 at 10:55 PM Post #5,102 of 5,414
Such refreshing honesty. If a device really does sound or measure differently with a different power cable, it probably has a poorly designed or defective power supply. A well engineered power supply is robust and filtered so that it isolates the device from typical power line variations. So long as the power cable is thick enough to pass the current the device needs with minimal resistance and heat, and grounding is properly wired, it should make no difference.
Think of all the cables the power travels though before reaching your wall socket. Miles of high voltage lines, transformers, etc. None of it is fancy audiophile cabling, it is simple copper wire sized for the application and properly grounded. Then after traveling through miles of all this stuff, somehow the last 12 inches of wire before it reaches the device makes a difference? It would be an understatement to say that is implausible.

totally agreed with you. I used to spend $1000s on cables, interconnects etc from Alo Audio, plus sounds etc and never made any differences in the sound. This can be just me, maybe my ears are not as you guys here.

I just don't believe expensive cables, and I am not going to say anymore before the moderator gives me a warning. :wink:

Anyways, HA1 is well built, no need to spend extra money on the power cable, if you have money then upgrade the amp instead of cables ^^

Oct 4, 2017 at 5:46 AM Post #5,103 of 5,414
Just a heads up to anyone who uses the IOS Oppo HA-1 Bluetooth Control app, in case you are not aware this is a 32 bit app. Apple will be releasing IOS11 tomorrow and no 32 bit app will run on IOS 11. If you do upgrade to IOS 11 you will not be able to run this, I am not sure if anyone has reported this to Oppo but I am guessing Oppo don't plan on upgrading this app since it hasn't been upgraded from its original version since it was released in May 2014.

Oppo have just updated their IOS Oppo HA-1 Bluetooth Control app and made it IOS 11 compatible. The update is available in the IOS app store now.

Oct 4, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #5,104 of 5,414

As far as your component is concerned the power cable that is connected to it is the first it sees and the most important. Recently Furutech has lent a power chord, speaker cable and interconnect to reviewers for evaluation. The reviewers have consistently reported that the power chord is the cable that most affects the sound quality. Yes, more than speaker cables and interconnects.

http://www.essentialsound.com/power-cable-technology.htm

" In other words, when comparing for example files made when the stock 18-gauge power cord was connected the DUT versus the 14-gauge power cord, the results show significant information did not null out. This is true for all pairings. The null test differences range from 10dB to 20dB! These results confirm that each power cord has a distinct and undeniable impact upon the performance of the connected component. Still skeptical? Download the files and perform the null test yourself."

https://www.gcaudio.com/tips-tricks/why-power-cables-make-a-difference/

Oct 4, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #5,105 of 5,414
The HA-1 is a step up from the Chord Mojo in sound quality & power, but it takes a revealing headphone to hear any differences..

Ummm.... really? As far as I am concerned the Mojo is a step up from them HA-1. Not a big step, but a step nonetheless. I also feel it sounds warmer and more musical. The HA-1 may be a bit more precise if you like but I feel that comes at the expense of musicality. How would I know this? I have owned a Mojo for many months and a HA-1 for a couple of years.

I strongly disagree that it takes a revealing headphone to hear differences. The sonic signature of these products is obviously different.

Oct 4, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #5,106 of 5,414
I had mojo for a week,and spent every day comparing against my HA1, and I preferred the HA1, better sound stage depth, and seemed to be a better separation of instruments,just as musical, so for me its the HA1, but remember my ears are 77 years old.

Oct 4, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #5,107 of 5,414
I had mojo for a week,and spent every day comparing against my HA1, and I preferred the HA1, better sound stage depth, and seemed to be a better separation of instruments,just as musical, so for me its the HA1, but remember my ears are 77 years old.

I am not surprised at all. In my opinion the HA-1 is better than the the Mojo in some ways. In the end it just boils down to personal taste. It is easy to understand why you would prefer the HA-1.

Oct 5, 2017 at 11:21 AM Post #5,108 of 5,414
... Recently Furutech has lent a power chord, speaker cable and interconnect to reviewers for evaluation. The reviewers have consistently reported that the power chord is the cable that most affects the sound quality. Yes, more than speaker cables and interconnects.
I thought better of replying to this, but I will anyway. The sites you referenced constitute the epitome of masterfully deployed sophism. Show that site to any electrical engineer and he'll either groan or ROFLMAO.

Their test is a great idea, but I don't trust their sound samples because they have overpriced power cords to sell. But almost anyone can do this test himself. All it takes is a professional audio recorder. I've done this and found that alternative power cables make no difference whatsoever. I would be happy to post audio files (let me know and I will), but rather than trust me, interested readers should try it themselves.

To be clear, one can find an amplifier or other audio component with such a poorly designed or defective power supply that it can't filter typical line noise. Unfortunately, such devices are not as rare as they should be in high-end audio. And you may find that using these boutique power cords makes a measurable difference on such a device. It's a thin chance, but possible. But the power cord makes absolutely no difference at all on a device with a well engineered and built power supply, which fortunately make up the majority of audio components.

Nov 7, 2017 at 9:55 PM Post #5,113 of 5,414
The HA-1 is a fantastic amp and pairs well with the LCD-2, and also has a great DAC and line outputs both balanced and unbalanced. I've had mine for 2-3 years with no plans to replace it.

That confirms my reviews and auditioning of the HA-1, any feedback on Audeze Deckard (no opportunity to audition it as yet but can get one very cheap)? HA-1 has a lot more features but a lot bigger chassis but don't want to compromise on quality of sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back