Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Jan 14, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #4,833 of 5,414
  I've looked and haven't found a 'plug and play' HA-1 headphone balanced-out to left/right RCA adapter.  If I might ask, what adapter are you using and where did you get it?

If you are asking about balanced cable to fit the Oppo pm-1/2 headphones (or a headphone that uses the same connections) for the HA-1 then go here:
http://www.oppodigital.com/products.asp?cat=40

Hi-fi man and sennheiser cables here:
https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=balanced+headphone+cable&tag=googhydr-
or more options here:https://www.headphone.com/collections/cables/Headphone-Replacement-Cable

If that's not what you're asking, then sorry,
Tom

Jan 14, 2017 at 5:18 PM Post #4,834 of 5,414
HELP FINDING SPECIFIC ADAPTOR...

I run 25' balanced cables out of the pre to my amp.  I'd like to try the 'advantages' of the headphone's discreet output.

So.. has anyone seen a 4pin xlr male >> 2X 3pin xlr females adaptor?

edited to remove any confusion 

Jan 14, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #4,835 of 5,414
The pre

I run 25' balanced cables out of the pre to my amp.  I'd like to try the 'advantages' of the headphone's discreet output (my understand is that both headphone amp and pre-out are Class A, the diff being the headphone's discreet components are better sounding).

The pre-out is op amp, not class A discreet.

Jan 14, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #4,837 of 5,414

I run 25' balanced cables out of the pre to my amp.  I'd like to try the 'advantages' of the headphone's discreet output (my understand is that both headphone amp and pre-out are Class A, the diff being the headphone's discreet components are better sounding).

Sorry, your understanding is incorrect. I wish you were right. Both the balanced and single ended pre outs use op amps. 

How to describe the difference between the normal pre out and the headphone out? Imagine you are used to having rich well flavored soup. Then imagine it is watered down a bit with less salt. To me that describes the difference. 

Jan 14, 2017 at 9:29 PM Post #4,838 of 5,414
I barely use the HA-1 as a headphone amp anymore, so I am thinking about upgrading. Not sure if I should wait for the Sonica, or if there is something else that I can get now that is significantly better.

Jan 15, 2017 at 1:35 AM Post #4,839 of 5,414
I barely use the HA-1 as a headphone amp anymore, so I am thinking about upgrading. Not sure if I should wait for the Sonica, or if there is something else that I can get now that is significantly better.

Sony newest TA-ZH1ES is a lot better and more satisfying than HA-1. Both are the best build /performances/prices value :D. I heard TA out of the box, and never bother listening back to HA-1 again. However, HA-1 just found a place in my large home system :D. Excellent feature with Bluetooth and all the Idevices we have ta home

Jan 15, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #4,842 of 5,414
  Is Oppo suggesting using both with that stack?

Admittedly, that is a phat stack, but no reason it wouldn't work.

Get the benefits of the new Saber chip with the power of the HA-1 amp and oodles of input/output options and versatility.

In another thread, I just read that MQA will be made available in the Sonica-DAC in a future firmware update. That makes this a very easy decision for me.

Jan 15, 2017 at 3:06 PM Post #4,843 of 5,414
Yeah you are probably right. I may have to think about that. I would like a different "sonic" signature though. If its 99% the same I would not keep it, MQA or not.

Jan 15, 2017 at 3:15 PM Post #4,844 of 5,414
  Yeah you are probably right. I may have to think about that. I would like a different "sonic" signature though. If its 99% the same I would not keep it, MQA or not.

Point taken.

I am curious to see if the new chip will have a different sonic signature as well, although, I think the headphone pairing with HA-1 and The Sonica DAC too, I would imagine, is as critical as anything. My PM-1's sound great with the HA-1 but I understand not all HP's are a good match for it.

We'll have to see when it comes out what the reviewers/critics, early buyers say.

Jan 28, 2017 at 4:18 PM Post #4,845 of 5,414
  Yes, the firmware has been updated and is available here (http://oppodownloads.s3.amazonaws.com/HA-1_1.4.3.rar).

Cheers

Michael

I just installed this firmware successfully on an American HA-1 unit, upgrading from some original release firmware I had (from the time the unit originally came out way back when). Everything seems to work fine. I hope that this firmware is fully compatible with US units.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back