Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Jan 28, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #4,846 of 5,414
  I just installed this firmware successfully on an American HA-1 unit, upgrading from some original release firmware I had (from the time the unit originally came out way back when). Everything seems to work fine. I hope that this firmware is fully compatible with US units.

Before I give it a try... do does anyone have a changelog outlining what this firmware adds or fixes?     

No readme in the rar file either, can someone  please describe firmware update steps?

Thanks for any help!

Jan 28, 2017 at 5:11 PM Post #4,847 of 5,414
  Before I give it a try... do does anyone have a changelog outlining what this firmware adds or fixes?     

No readme in the rar file either, can someone  please describe firmware update steps?

Thanks for any help!

Just installed it, very easy: Connect the Oppo 1 with your computer, unrar the file to a map, start the OPPOUSBAudioDfu.exe file. It will check if the firmware is newer. Push the start button, it will be ready within a minute or so. 

Jan 28, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #4,848 of 5,414
  Just installed it, very easy: Connect the Oppo 1 with your computer, unrar the file to a map, start the OPPOUSBAudioDfu.exe file. It will check if the firmware is newer. Push the start button, it will be ready within a minute or so. 

Thanks dafos58.......any obvious changes to features or menus from the new FW?        Sound better ? :)

Jan 28, 2017 at 9:51 PM Post #4,849 of 5,414
Hmmmmm 

The HA-1 is no longer listed in Oppo's store, nor can you add to the cart from the original product page as you were able to before.  Discontinued maybe?  It appears that it will be the Sonica or the highway in the future unless they have something up their sleeve. 

Jan 28, 2017 at 10:03 PM Post #4,850 of 5,414
  Hmmmmm 

The HA-1 is no longer listed in Oppo's store, nor can you add to the cart from the original product page as you were able to before.  Discontinued maybe?  It appears that it will be the Sonica or the highway in the future unless they have something up their sleeve. 

But the Sonica doesn't have an amp like the HA-1, DAC only. And there is no product page for the HA-1 any more, except under the support page.
 Thought about selling mine, might wait a bit now.

Jan 29, 2017 at 12:52 AM Post #4,852 of 5,414

But the Sonica doesn't have an amp like the HA-1, DAC only. And there is no product page for the HA-1 any more, except under the support page.
 Thought about selling mine, might wait a bit now.

yea there is a product page, it is   HERE

But there is no "buy now" link  nor even mentioned or any way to purchase in the store..    

I am assuming that they'll replace it with something, perhaps a new standalone amp/dac. I say that because it appears that the Sonica will only play thru rca or xlr outputs and bluetooth/airplay. There doesn't appear to be any SE output. That is a very strange way to market product considering they have at least three headphones to support.

Jan 30, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #4,854 of 5,414
  It was a very successful product.. I'm betting an SE version with new chipset like they just did with the HA-2

Since my HA-1 is still in the 30 day return period I wrote Oppo and asked if they were getting ready to release a new improved headphone amp and this is the answer I got  FWIW:

We will not be releasing a new headphone amplifier, but we are looking to release an updated DAC (http://oppodigital.com/sonica-dac/) fairly soon.

OPPO Sonica DAC
oppodigital.com

Sonica DAC pairs the absolute sound quality of a traditional audiophile DAC with the convenience and versatility of a high resolution network player.

We do not have any kind of trade-in, upgrade, or buyback program. So if the HA-1 is in the 30-day money back guarantee, then it can be returned for a refund. Otherwise, the HA-1 would need to be sold to a new owner and this revenue be used to purchase any replacement or other product.

Best Regards, 

Customer Service 
OPPO Digital, Inc.  162 Constitution Dr.
Menlo Park, CA 94025
Service@oppodigital.com 
Tel: 650-961-1118 
Fax: 650-961-1119

Jan 31, 2017 at 6:07 AM Post #4,856 of 5,414
  Since my HA-1 is still in the 30 day return period I wrote Oppo and asked if they were getting ready to release a new improved headphone amp and this is the answer I got  FWIW:

We will not be releasing a new headphone amplifier, but we are looking to release an updated DAC (http://oppodigital.com/sonica-dac/) fairly soon.

It makes sense as the Oppo HA-1 analogue part is quiet good. In fact it is so good that sometimes I preferred it to my V281 amp before I sold my HA-1 (cant have all the gear in-house). HA-1 weak spot is definetely the DAC part, so that Oppo is making a new DAC makes perfectly sense. I Hope they fine adjust the issues that the HA-1 dac has. I see they base it on another sabre chip. interesting read actually. Personally I breferr AKM chips, but it will be very fun to review the new Oppo DAC once it gets to the stores.

Jan 31, 2017 at 3:07 PM Post #4,858 of 5,414
This is what learned about the future of the HA -1...mine is only about 6 months old...

Oppo's reply below...

Larry,

We are no longer looking to manufacture the HA-1 as it is being replaced by the Sonica DAC (http://oppodigital.com/sonica-dac/). The Sonica DAC does not have an amplifier built in, but it will work with any headphone amplifier.

Best Regards, 

Customer Service 
OPPO Digital, Inc.  162 Constitution Dr.
Menlo Park, CA 94025
Service@oppodigital.com 
Tel: 650-961-1118 
Fax: 650-961-1119

Sent: Monday, January 30, 2017 10:02 AM
To: OPPO Service
Subject: No more HA-1???

Morning Service,

I noticed you guys are not selling the HA -1 anymore.  Since mine is less than 6 months old I am bummed you no longer sell it.  Hopefully you will support the configuration though.

What is going to replace it?   A separate Headphone Amp to go with the Sonica?

Any idea of when the UDP 205 will be released?

Bummed in Brentwood,

Larry

Jan 31, 2017 at 3:10 PM Post #4,859 of 5,414

I am going to try the Sonica and use the HP amp in the HA 1....if I cannot hear a difference with the dedicated DAC...I'll give the Gumby a shot...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back