Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Feb 1, 2017 at 6:22 AM Post #4,861 of 5,414
I guess I'll just have to hold onto my HA-1, seeing that it has now just become somewhat of a collectors item.

LOL you and me too Wood.   But, I do have to say that their product marketing sucks the big one. Do they seriously believe that network streaming is the total future of audiophile based sound equipment?  If so, why not incorporate MQA and streaming services PRIOR to launch of the Sonica?  Also as I have mentioned previously this kinda leaves their headphone line blowing in the wind, to put it bluntly, they have literally said use our dac and headphones, but go find your own damned amp. Not our problem!

Feb 1, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #4,862 of 5,414
LOL you and me too Wood.   But, I do have to say that their product marketing sucks the big one. Do they seriously believe that network streaming is the total future of audiophile based sound equipment?  If so, why not incorporate MQA and streaming services PRIOR to launch of the Sonica?  Also as I have mentioned previously this kinda leaves their headphone line blowing in the wind, to put it bluntly, they have literally said use our dac and headphones, but go find your own damned amp. Not our problem!

Yeah, it does seem odd that they would practically abandon the headphone amp market (sort of). But being relatively new to the HP market with the PM/HA products, those being the first for Oppo, they've carved a pretty solid base in such a short time, considering the competition. Oppo has never really catered to a large, mass market, they know their customers and cater to them with great AV products and world class customer service and support.
Knowing how fickle the HP community can be, Oppo probably figured it would be more cost effective to offer a really good network streaming DAC than to chase the market with an ever changing Amp/DAC combo.

While love my HA-1, I understand that there are better sounding products out there but I chose not to fall into the rabbit hole of constantly chasing the next level, subjectively better sounding device time after time. I'll settle for what works for me and keeps me satisfied. And when I find a company that really takes care of their customers, I tend to be loyal, even if that means sacrificing a little bit in performance or features (MQA) from another brand of product.

I'll probably eventually get the Sonica DAC but at the moment, I'm not in a rush. I'll wait and see if it'll be that much of an upgrade over my combo amp/dac to add it into the mix. Don't be surprised if Oppo does decide to add (MQA) into the Sonica in a future update. They've been know to pull a few tricks out of their sleeve before.

Feb 1, 2017 at 12:53 PM Post #4,863 of 5,414
Discontinuing the HA-1 with no replacement is a bad move IMO. I recently bought the UDP-203 for all my media playback and streaming, and need a headphone amp - and preferably combined with a better standalone DAC too. While I could have waited for the UDP-205 with ESS 9038, I would still be paying for upgraded multichannel capabilities I won't ever need, and still be left with a device where attention is not put into the headphone amp circuitry. I would also like to use the amp separately with my vinyl setup.
I actually don't see a point in offering the Sonica DAC without offering either a headphone amp or pre/power-amp in their line-up. Sounds almost as if sales of the HA-1 were poor, but what do I know :frowning2:.

Feb 1, 2017 at 1:30 PM Post #4,864 of 5,414
  Discontinuing the HA-1 with no replacement is a bad move IMO. 

I can't help but suspecting that they are tired of fielding questions associated with the headphone amp. It seems as though headphone amp users are in general more demanding than most people who use audio equipment. There have probably been endless queries about issues such as the overshooting analog volume control, demands for firmware updates (it works well, so what is the point?) etc. 

I guess they have decided that it is just not worth it.

Feb 8, 2017 at 2:56 AM Post #4,865 of 5,414

I can't help but suspecting that they are tired of fielding questions associated with the headphone amp. It seems as though headphone amp users are in general more demanding than most people who use audio equipment. There have probably been endless queries about issues such as the overshooting analog volume control, demands for firmware updates (it works well, so what is the point?) etc. 

I guess they have decided that it is just not worth it.

Well I guess that we better hope that this "not worth it" movement doesn't spread.   Think of a world in which  Fostex, Audeze, Sen, Beyer and many other headphone makers just said "Not worth it" and banged ahead to stream only.  We would certainly be digging much deeper into our collective pockets for amps and dacs. Vendors such as Chord, Moon, Woo, Schiit and others would no doubt wisely raise prices in reaction to supply and demand. Of course that would spur on a buttload of fly by nights to produce equipment that if you are lucky would last through about 5 nights of heavy play and sound like fingernails on a chalkboard.  Not a pretty thought in my mind for sure. 

Personally,  Oppo's action with this kinda left a bad taste for me.  If this is indeed their way of just saying "screw it, we're tired of that market and we are going a different direction," it was handled poorly.  IMHO  there are just too many other vendors out there with better DACS, better build quality, competitive pricing, better technology, and a true desire to maintain their customers trust.   The HA-1 is a great product that was cast aside to make room for a tech advancement that has not yet proven it's worth nor it's sound quality. The Sonica may be someones dream machine, but I don't think it will be sharing desk or console space in my house. 

Feb 8, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #4,866 of 5,414
It's not like Oppo's abandoning the headphone market. They still have their headphones and mobile DAC/amp, which they just updated. Their mobile amp is more appropriate for their headphones, which are more mobile oriented and are easy to drive, so the HA-1 is really a product ideal for other manufacturer's headphones. Considering that mobile phones are now Oppo's biggest business, I can understand why they would be moving their focus to mobile accessories.

Feb 8, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #4,868 of 5,414
I read the first initial review that I found on Computer Audiophile.  A user reported that it sounded harsh but smoothed out some after burning in for 24 hours.  This report was not so encouraging for me.  I have a couple of higher end dacs at home including Luxman, Cary Audio, and even when I first turned them on after receiving, the sound was jaw dropping.  If users keep reporting that the Sonica Dac sounds strident, I will have to skip purchasing it.  It will have to be something unique or better quality than the equipment that I already have to justify a purchase.  

Feb 8, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #4,870 of 5,414
  Makes sense @AudioMan2013. No point in spending money for inferior products, even if they look good or match our other equipment. 

I am not saying that the Sonica Dac is inferior in any way, but I prefer smooth and musical sounding dacs.  I remember when I first got my Yamaha cd player that uses PCM1796 dacs.  It made me unbox my cds and listen to them directly because I didn't want to stop.  It was a late night that day. Oppo makes some great products (I own 6 of them) but I would like to see something more unique or branch out more into other options. 

Feb 8, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #4,871 of 5,414
  I am not saying that the Sonica Dac is inferior in any way, but I prefer smooth and musical sounding dacs.  I remember when I first got my Yamaha cd player that uses PCM1796 dacs.  It made me unbox my cds and listen to them directly because I didn't want to stop.  It was a late night that day. Oppo makes some great products (I own 6 of them) but I would like to see something more unique or branch out more into other options. 

I'm still hoping for an HA-1 replacement. I don't really have an interest in the DAC alone. To be honest, if I were to buy a stand-alone DAC, I do not think I'd be looking at the Oppo one first.

Feb 8, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #4,872 of 5,414
  I'm still hoping for an HA-1 replacement. I don't really have an interest in the DAC alone. To be honest, if I were to buy a stand-alone DAC, I do not think I'd be looking at the Oppo one first.

What I would like to see is a class A amp (5-10wpc) in a chassis the size of the HA1 or Sonica.  I have been searching and am unable to find one (solid state).  

Feb 8, 2017 at 4:57 PM Post #4,873 of 5,414
I gotta say that I am bummed out that they have stopped shipping the HA-1.   I really enjoy mine....my only gripe is I gotta leave it turned on for an hour until it's worth listening to.   I have thought about trying a Yggy or a Gumby with the HA-1 Class A Amp...to see (hear?) what a different type DAC would sound like.  All the Schiit fans seem say the ESS Sabre DACs have the "Saber Glare"....but I don't hear glare with my set-up.   

Feb 8, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #4,874 of 5,414
  I gotta say that I am bummed out that they have stopped shipping the HA-1.   I really enjoy mine....my only gripe is I gotta leave it turned on for an hour until it's worth listening to.   I have though about trying a Yggy or a Gumby with the HA-1 Class A Amp...to see (hear?) what a different type DAC would sound like.  All the Schiit fans seem say the ESS Sabre DACs have the "Saber Glare"....but I don't hear glare with my set-up.   

I highly recommend you listening to other dacs through your Ha-1's amp, even as a demo.  Try a Burr Brown or AKM based dac.  I'm mildly sensitive to treble so perhaps that explains why people hear the Saber Glare or those that have gotten used to listening mellower devices.  

Feb 8, 2017 at 5:51 PM Post #4,875 of 5,414
  I highly recommend you listening to other dacs through your Ha-1's amp, even as a demo.  Try a Burr Brown or AKM based dac.  I'm mildly sensitive to treble so perhaps that explains why people hear the Saber Glare or those that have gotten used to listening mellower devices.  

There's much discussion about the infamous "ESS Saber Glare" but don't you all think that matching the proper cans with your preferred DAC/amp is pretty crucial? 

I use the PM-1's and have not experienced any harsh glare at all with my HA-1/PM-1 combo. I think these cans are tuned perfectly for the HA-1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back