Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Jan 31, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #4,096 of 5,414
Any comments about using HA-1 with bluetooth ? I mean if SQ is worst than CD quality ?
of course it is. that has nothing to do with the HA-1 though. That's just Bluetooth on any device. BT = lossy

Jan 31, 2016 at 5:15 PM Post #4,097 of 5,414
Is Adl stratos in the same league as Oppo, upgrading from violectric v200 to all in one setup with ballanced???

I can't compare their sound (I do own the GT40, but that's much older tech), but looking at ADL's product page they're quite a different feature set.  For example, the ADL offers support for an analog rig (i.e., turntable), while the Oppo offers more overall connection flexibility.  The Oppo is much nicer looking (IMO), but the ADL will take up much less desk space.  

They both use Sabre DAC chips, but Oppo's hp amp can deliver more power.  If your headphones don't need that, though, I'd say go with the feature set you like best.

Jan 31, 2016 at 6:43 PM Post #4,098 of 5,414

I can't compare their sound (I do own the GT40, but that's much older tech), but looking at ADL's product page they're quite a different feature set.  For example, the ADL offers support for an analog rig (i.e., turntable), while the Oppo offers more overall connection flexibility.  The Oppo is much nicer looking (IMO), but the ADL will take up much less desk space.  

They both use Sabre DAC chips, but Oppo's hp amp can deliver more power.  If your headphones don't need that, though, I'd say go with the feature set you like best.

Thanks, i'm going too recieve the beyerdynamic t1 v2, and less space is good (o;

Feb 3, 2016 at 5:36 PM Post #4,100 of 5,414
Great thread here! I'm considering to buy the HA-1 mainly for the balanced output it has. But I'm not sure if the HA-1 has Push-Pull or Single-Ended amplification? I'm just getting into this subject so apologies if I asked something silly or pretty obvious!

Feb 5, 2016 at 6:03 PM Post #4,102 of 5,414
  With regards to the Oppo USB audio control panel what settings do you owners use with the 'usb streaming mode' and 'Asio buffer size'?

I actually answered this about a hundred pages ago.

OPPO  HA-1 USB AUDIO 2.0 DAC Properties

Enhancement tab

1. Disable all enhancements 

Advanced tab

1. 16 bit
  2. 44100Hz
  3. check to allow apps full control of unit
  4. check to allow exclusive mode

OPPO ASIO panel

1. USB Streaming Mode: Extra Safe
  2. Asio Buffer Size: 8192 samples

Reasoning

This is for Windows PC as source, using USB.

Dropping streaming mode, result in a sound much like a lossy compressed rendering. It can be rather confusing, as some instruments might appear more defined as by the loss of data. Much like dropping from HiFi under tidal, to lossy compression.

Buffer size, is the same story. About any sonic trait improves across the board. In particular attack for perk and base. Strings in particular get their temper back. Soundstage is not even remotely the same. Articulation is in another league using the HD800. Harmonics and instrument bodies with the Denon mm500 goes from fine to a pleasure.

Given I did this first at 16bit/44.1KHz, I moved on to play with the sampling setting. Any gain from increasing the ASIO setting, is simply gone, if you increase the data rate. It is simply not worth it.

Setting the settings in Tidal to Oppo output, exclusive mode, fixed output, and HiFi is also a quantum leap as compared to Spotify. Having tried that, is the reasoning for the check boxes in the Windows settings. Must be enabled both in Windows and within application.

My current setup is a bit extreme for a HA-1 owner, but the settings have proved to be the same, using even my laptop, any decent headset, or even using all stock cables.

Any hints on how to improve the sound is most welcome.

Feb 5, 2016 at 6:08 PM Post #4,103 of 5,414
  Great thread here! I'm considering to buy the HA-1 mainly for the balanced output it has. But I'm not sure if the HA-1 has Push-Pull or Single-Ended amplification? I'm just getting into this subject so apologies if I asked something silly or pretty obvious!

The Oppo is Class A and a true balanced design. That does not really matter that much, as it has the juice to drive any headset, and sound great for the money in every way.

Some tube amps are single ended, and supposedly sound way better than the Oppo. Even if they got less power.

Feb 5, 2016 at 6:13 PM Post #4,104 of 5,414

I actually answered this about a hundred pages ago.

OPPO  HA-1 USB AUDIO 2.0 DAC Properties

Enhancement tab

1. Disable all enhancements 

Advanced tab

1. 16 bit
  2. 44100Hz
  3. check to allow apps full control of unit
  4. check to allow exclusive mode

OPPO ASIO panel

1. USB Streaming Mode: Extra Safe
  2. Asio Buffer Size: 8192 samples

Reasoning

This is for Windows PC as source, using USB.

Dropping streaming mode, result in a sound much like a lossy compressed rendering. It can be rather confusing, as some instruments might appear more defined as by the loss of data. Much like dropping from HiFi under tidal, to lossy compression.

Buffer size, is the same story. About any sonic trait improves across the board. In particular attack for perk and base. Strings in particular get their temper back. Soundstage is not even remotely the same. Articulation is in another league using the HD800. Harmonics and instrument bodies with the Denon mm500 goes from fine to a pleasure.

Given I did this first at 16bit/44.1KHz, I moved on to play with the sampling setting. Any gain from increasing the ASIO setting, is simply gone, if you increase the data rate. It is simply not worth it.

Setting the settings in Tidal to Oppo output, exclusive mode, fixed output, and HiFi is also a quantum leap as compared to Spotify. Having tried that, is the reasoning for the check boxes in the Windows settings. Must be enabled both in Windows and within application.

My current setup is a bit extreme for a HA-1 owner, but the settings have proved to be the same, using even my laptop, any decent headset, or even using all stock cables.

Any hints on how to improve the sound is most welcome.

Why 16-bit instead of 32-bit? Also, I feel that 48000 Hz makes more sense because most media that can't be output via WASAPI or ASIO (such as games) have a sampling rate of 48000 Hz.

Also, can anyone else claim that streaming mode affects quality?

Feb 5, 2016 at 6:50 PM Post #4,105 of 5,414

The Oppo is Class A and a true balanced design. That does not really matter that much, as it has the juice to drive any headset, and sound great for the money in every way.

Some tube amps are single ended, and supposedly sound way better than the Oppo. Even if they got less power.

Thank you! I guess now I just have to find a deal on a second hand one. What is the average price for a second hand HA-1? I've seen only one in the classifieds and it went for 800$.

Feb 5, 2016 at 8:52 PM Post #4,106 of 5,414

Why 16-bit instead of 32-bit? Also, I feel that 48000 Hz makes more sense because most media that can't be output via WASAPI or ASIO (such as games) have a sampling rate of 48000 Hz.

Also, can anyone else claim that streaming mode affects quality?

Sometimes I wonder why I even bother posting things like these.

You "feel" like 48K makes more "sense"?

You bought the Oppo HA-1 for PC gaming? Low bit rate lossy compressed 24/48 material?

Thank you! I guess now I just have to find a deal on a second hand one. What is the average price for a second hand HA-1? I've seen only one in the classifieds and it went for 800$.

This is a nisch marked. As in low volume. I live in Norway, and have only seen one second hand ever. That is the one I got. It was brand new in the box, yet the seller spent some time to get rid of it. I payed 10000NKr for it, as to the 14000NKr in store price. I know of only one store in the entire country that sells it. Good luck in your chase, lets hope your lucky.

In case you do not know: It do get quite hot, and need plenty of room for ventilation. It cannot be placed in a closed cabinet, as it produces something like 70W of heat. It is passively cooled, so stacking it with anything, is not a wise move. It actually produces more heat than a high end PC at idle. Since I use it in combination with an overclocked high end PC (idle at 120W), using a 65" screen (150W) with that, the living room gets hot in the summer time. Turning on the power amp for the speakers does not really help much.

It is also fairly deep, even more so, after you plug in the cables both back and front.

Feb 5, 2016 at 9:18 PM Post #4,107 of 5,414
Hmm, interesting infos. Again, thanks for sharing them. I want to use it for my balanced headphones and also to power my future bookshelf speakers (KEF LS50 or ELAC Debut 6). I guess it has sufficient ppower to get the job done. it looks promising to me.

Feb 8, 2016 at 8:30 AM Post #4,108 of 5,414
Crowd Wisdom?

I will get to the point: over the past year or two, I've sold off my ATH-W1000X, HD650 and finally, after realizing there are much more comfortable planar, my HE-5LE.

I have the HD700 and PM-3 currently on hand but I intend to return them and buy a single flagship. Because comfort is a big concern, I've narrowed the field to HD800 and PM-1 or PM-2 with leather or velour pads.

I really like the spaciousness and wide sound stage I heard during an HD800 audition, but their reputation for being unforgiving less-than-stellar recordings concerns me. I don't want to limit my listening to the Chesky and Mapleshade catalogs, if you catch my meaning.

The PM-1/ HA-1 combo seemed like a no brainer after hearing the PM-3 and reading positive reviews, but I am deterred by descriptions that knock its narrow sound stage.

I've been around head-fi long enough to know most folks here never find that "one and done" headphone.

But I know from personal experience that it's possible to silence the new headphones jones for at least a few years.

So, fellow addicts, what would you do if you suddenly found your headphone cupboard bare and had $2,000 lying around to replenish it with one solid setup?

- PM-1 and HA-1
- PM-2 with pad upgrade and HA-1
- HD800 with existing LDMKIV and Objective 2 amps

Existing sources: CA DacMagic, Onkyo C-5VL SACD player, Marantz CD5004, IOS devices streaming Apple Music

Feb 8, 2016 at 12:57 PM Post #4,110 of 5,414
I am very happy,with HD800 and HA1 for general use,and have no wish to change. At 75 plus years, there is no treble peak for me,so this is an excellent combination. For portable, i use HiFi M8.which drives the H 800 /846/ Westone 4R that i use. Unfortunately,i have the urge to try Wesson W60.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back