Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Feb 10, 2016 at 12:15 AM Post #4,126 of 5,414

Yeah, I'm actuallly really liking the sound of the HA-1 every time I listen to it.  Loving the electric guitar sound it produces.  I think I'm good for a while.  Can't really afford to keep trying out new things anyways.  Should probably just go to a meet here.  Just need to upgrade my speakers and I should be set.  Need to save up for those ELAC Uni-Fi.  Time to go sell my other amps.

Sounds like good sense.

Feb 10, 2016 at 11:50 PM Post #4,127 of 5,414
Newbie here: WOW. I literally didn't know headphone amps/dacs could be this expensive. 

How much of a difference are you going to experience with OPPA-HA-1 (or any expensive alternative) versus a $150 option ? 

Feb 10, 2016 at 11:52 PM Post #4,128 of 5,414
  Newbie here: WOW. I literally didn't know headphone amps/dacs could be this expensive. 

How much of a difference are you going to experience with OPPA-HA-1 (or any expensive alternative) versus a $150 option ? 

The HA-1?! That's my budget amp! My other amp & DAC cost over $6k, welcome to Head-Fi buddy, sorry about your wallet :frowning2:

Feb 11, 2016 at 12:04 AM Post #4,129 of 5,414
  The HA-1?! That's my budget amp! My other amp & DAC cost over $6k, welcome to Head-Fi buddy, sorry about your wallet :frowning2:

Well, I am stepping up from using ****ty gaming headsets to the TH900s - so, I am learning, lol ! 

Is your $6k amp/dac in your 'main rig (sig) ? 

How much of a difference do you feel between your budget amp/dac setup vs your 6k setup? 

Feb 11, 2016 at 12:19 AM Post #4,130 of 5,414
  Well, I am stepping up from using ****ty gaming headsets to the TH900s - so, I am learning, lol ! 

Is your $6k amp/dac in your 'main rig (sig) ? 

How much of a difference do you feel between your budget amp/dac setup vs your 6k setup? 

Yeah it's an ALO Studio Six amp & Schiit Yggdrasil DAC. I feel you though, part of me wishes I never got started in this hobby 15 years ago. My first good pair of headphones were Grado SR-80's and from there I've been chasing the dragon to see how much better it could get.

I would honestly say the difference is pretty significant but not as big as you would probably expect for the price. The HA-1 is about as much as I would recommend for most people since it gives you so much. I was able to pick mine up used for $800 and for that price I think it's a total steal. I actually use it more than my main rig because it's on my desktop, but I am not as focused on my music while I'm using it since I'm generally working on the computer.

Feb 11, 2016 at 12:29 AM Post #4,131 of 5,414
Thanks for the info. 

I only use my headphones for PC (music/gaming) and I was going to buy a high-end $400 soundcard but it seems the obvious/better choice would be to put that $400 towards an amp/dac.   

Feb 11, 2016 at 12:35 AM Post #4,132 of 5,414
Yeah, skip the soundcard. I'd look around for a used HA-1 if I were you, much better value IMO.

Feb 11, 2016 at 12:44 AM Post #4,133 of 5,414
Even though I'm likely to be selling a used HA-1 pretty soon, I'd suggest starting with something less expensive.  See how interested you are in this hobby before dropping ~800 dollars on a DAC/amp.

Feb 11, 2016 at 1:00 AM Post #4,134 of 5,414
Even though I'm likely to be selling a used HA-1 pretty soon, I'd suggest starting with something less expensive.  See how interested you are in this hobby before dropping ~800 dollars on a DAC/amp.

That means you will put yours up for sale for 800$?:wink:

Feb 11, 2016 at 1:04 AM Post #4,135 of 5,414
That means you will put yours up for sale for 800$?
wink.gif

Heh. That seems to be the market price.

Feb 11, 2016 at 2:12 AM Post #4,137 of 5,414
You got the silver one by any chance? I might get tempted...

Silver, indeed.  I'm not 100% I'm selling it, though.  Still evaluating alongside the m920.

Feb 11, 2016 at 2:23 AM Post #4,139 of 5,414
Okay.  PM me, if you want, and I'll let you know when I list it, if I do.

Feb 11, 2016 at 3:01 AM Post #4,140 of 5,414

I bought a couple a $200 amps before just getting the HA-1 and there's a pretty big difference between them for me.  It's smoother sounding yet has a nice texture in the sound especially on electric guitars where you hear more of the crunchiness of the distortion.  The music also sounds more effortless coming out.  But anyways, that's just my comparison between the cheaper amps I have.  Never heard any other DAC/AMPs around the price range of the HA-1 so I'm not sure how they compare in that price range.  But yeah, after hearing the HA-1, it makes you wanna see how other DAC/AMPs in it's price range or higher sound.  It's like, man now I want to hear what the higher Schiit products sound like, or the m920, or the Violectrics, or Benchmark DAC2, or Yulongs, Auralics lol.  I should just go to a meet.  Don't have that kind of money.  Plus too many other hobbies.  Spent too much these past couple months trying out things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back