Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Feb 8, 2016 at 2:52 PM Post #4,111 of 5,414
Been very happy with the Ha-1 for a year now but the sickness is starting again (winter hibernation) and I am looking to see if you guys have started to look for whats next? Any all-in ones out there that have taken that next step?

Feb 8, 2016 at 4:11 PM Post #4,112 of 5,414

Thank you! I guess now I just have to find a deal on a second hand one. What is the average price for a second hand HA-1? I've seen only one in the classifieds and it went for 800$.

Hmm, interesting infos. Again, thanks for sharing them. I want to use it for my balanced headphones and also to power my future bookshelf speakers (KEF LS50 or ELAC Debut 6). I guess it has sufficient ppower to get the job done. it looks promising to me.

Heh, that was me that bought that HA-1.  Kinda want to go with something smaller and simpler but I'm loving the sound it's pushing out.  Smooth textured clarity while pushing it effortlessly.  This is my first higher end equipment though so coming from Polaris and Vali 2, it's way better.  I want to get some bookshelf speakers too.  But I'm gonna wait for the ELAC Uni-Fi UB5 coming out later in a few months.  Them bookshelves are getting some rave reviews from CES last month and will be selling for $500 a pair.

Feb 8, 2016 at 4:50 PM Post #4,114 of 5,414
Heh, that was me that bought that HA-1.  Kinda want to go with something smaller and simpler but I'm loving the sound it's pushing out.  Smooth textured clarity while pushing it effortlessly.  This is my first higher end equipment though so coming from Polaris and Vali 2, it's way better.  I want to get some bookshelf speakers too.  But I'm gonna wait for the ELAC Uni-Fi UB5 coming out later in a few months.  Them bookshelves are getting some rave reviews from CES last month and will be selling for $500 a pair.

I have the Elac B5 in my office system and I temporarily connected them to my ATI amp driven by my HA-1 in my living room, and they were clearly the weakest link, although they're fine in my smaller budget system with my Schiit Modi 2 Uber and Audioengine N22. I'm very curious how much better the Uni-Fi UB5 are than the B5, and maybe I should have waited 6 months and shelled out an extra 2 fiddy for the better speakers. Are you also going to buy a power amp for the speakers?

Feb 8, 2016 at 6:47 PM Post #4,115 of 5,414
  Been very happy with the Ha-1 for a year now but the sickness is starting again (winter hibernation) and I am looking to see if you guys have started to look for whats next? Any all-in ones out there that have taken that next step?

I got a Grace m920 from the Massdrop buy.  It's giving me thoughts of selling my HA-1.

Feb 9, 2016 at 4:04 PM Post #4,117 of 5,414
I just got the Oppo and now you guys are making me want to get the M920 already lol.  What about the Violectrics?  Anyone heard them?  They seem to be good but hardly anyone has them.  Plus they're on Massdrop also for a good chunk off.

Feb 9, 2016 at 5:07 PM Post #4,118 of 5,414
Has anyone tried driving high efficiency 8 ohm speakers through the balanced headphone out since it is able to produce 3 wpc such as a single driver full range speakers without a crossover?  Would this be too much of a load on the HA1?  I would love to use its class A power for low volume listening.

Well, tonight I rigged up a cable using a 4 pin xlr connector I had laying around. I connected to some home made bookshelf speakers to some Markaudio full range drivers. At about 40% max volume I am able to hear at a comfortable level and at 75% max it is very loud. The sound is pretty good but I need to listen more in comparison to an integrated amp (Onkyo A9070). My question is that am I drawing too much current where it can destroy the HA1?

Feb 9, 2016 at 9:03 PM Post #4,119 of 5,414
  I just got the Oppo and now you guys are making me want to get the M920 already lol.  What about the Violectrics?  Anyone heard them?  They seem to be good but hardly anyone has them.  Plus they're on Massdrop also for a good chunk off.

I'm still getting acquainted with the m920's sound, but so far I wouldn't say it sounds any better than the HA-1.  But I wouldn't say it sounds worse, either, and it takes up so much less space than the HA-1.  OTOH, it's not nearly as nice/cool looking, IMO.  So if space isn't an issue for you and the m920 doesn't have any features you need/want, I'd say stick with the HA-1.  You've got a sexy, do-almost-everything DAC/amp.

I dunno anything about the Violectrics.  Sorry.

Feb 9, 2016 at 9:03 PM Post #4,120 of 5,414
Has anyone tried driving high efficiency 8 ohm speakers through the balanced headphone out since it is able to produce 3 wpc such as a single driver full range speakers without a crossover?  Would this be too much of a load on the HA1?  I would love to use its class A power for low volume listening.

Well, tonight I rigged up a cable using a 4 pin xlr connector I had laying around. I connected to some home made bookshelf speakers to some Markaudio full range drivers. At about 40% max volume I am able to hear at a comfortable level and at 75% max it is very loud. The sound is pretty good but I need to listen more in comparison to an integrated amp (Onkyo A9070). My question is that am I drawing too much current where it can destroy the HA1?

Ha.  Never even occurred to me.  Pretty cool that it works at all.

Feb 9, 2016 at 10:26 PM Post #4,124 of 5,414
Ha.  Never even occurred to me.  Pretty cool that it works at all.

After warm up and further listening, the highs and mid are good but there is a total lack of bass making it sound thin. It probably has to do with impedance mismatching since the drivers are 8 ohms. I have some fostex 16 ohm speakers at work that I will try tomorrow. Those are easier to drive than the Mark audio ones.

Feb 10, 2016 at 12:11 AM Post #4,125 of 5,414

I'm still getting acquainted with the m920's sound, but so far I wouldn't say it sounds any better than the HA-1.  But I wouldn't say it sounds worse, either, and it takes up so much less space than the HA-1.  OTOH, it's not nearly as nice/cool looking, IMO.  So if space isn't an issue for you and the m920 doesn't have any features you need/want, I'd say stick with the HA-1.  You've got a sexy, do-almost-everything DAC/amp.

I dunno anything about the Violectrics.  Sorry.

Yeah, I'm actuallly really liking the sound of the HA-1 every time I listen to it.  Loving the electric guitar sound it produces.  I think I'm good for a while.  Can't really afford to keep trying out new things anyways.  Should probably just go to a meet here.  Just need to upgrade my speakers and I should be set.  Need to save up for those ELAC Uni-Fi.  Time to go sell my other amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back