Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Jan 21, 2016 at 9:28 PM Post #4,081 of 5,414
  I would recommend using EAC (http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/) to rip straight from your computer's drive, it is(or used to be?) the gold standard for ripping redbook CDs.  I have ripped thousands of my own, and the great thing about EAC is that it confirms the quality of what it rips, way better than having to listen to a rip to see if there are any issues as when "ripping" LPs where there is no other option.  If there are issues with your drive, as long as they are correctable EAC will help with that as well.  Note that there are a few audio CDs with copy protection, literally only one or two out of the over 5000 I own, so maybe you won't have to deal with this.  Depending on how many CDs you have to rip, it may be worth purchasing another DVD-ROM (external USB if you don't have a place to install it internal to the PC being ripped), easy to find a good drive from $20-$40.  Just like everything else, this rabbit hole can go a lot deeper though, here is a thread talking a bit about ripping:  http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f7-disk-storage-music-library-storage/best-cd-drive-rip-22530/index2.html 

Thanks!  I was planning to use MC21, but I'll give EAC a try.

Jan 21, 2016 at 10:02 PM Post #4,082 of 5,414
EAC ripped some .wav files okay, but the FLAC compressor kept bombing out.  I might pursue it, or I might just switch back to MC.

I gave that CA link a skim.  Waaayyyyyy too much "You don't know what you're talking about, dude!!" and "No, YOU don't know what you're talking about, dudebro!!" and "Oh yeah?  Well my friend invented the 1 and the 0, so who's yer daddy??"

Jan 21, 2016 at 11:36 PM Post #4,083 of 5,414

I second everything that craftyhack said, and I would add that dBpoweramp is another excellent CD ripping program that might be a little more user friendly than EAC, although EAC has the advantage of being free. However, with EAC, there are lots of great step by step guides on the Internet for how to configure the settings to optimize your ripping. You definitely want to follow some expert guides because it's a pretty complex program with lots of technical settings. And you can find lots of reliable optical drives from Asus, Lite-On, Samsung, LG, etc. for $20 or even less. It's a worthy investment if you want to rip a lot of CDs.

Jan 22, 2016 at 12:24 AM Post #4,084 of 5,414

I second everything that craftyhack said, and I would add that dBpoweramp is another excellent CD ripping program that might be a little more user friendly than EAC, although EAC has the advantage of being free. However, with EAC, there are lots of great step by step guides on the Internet for how to configure the settings to optimize your ripping. You definitely want to follow some expert guides because it's a pretty complex program with lots of technical settings. And you can find lots of reliable optical drives from Asus, Lite-On, Samsung, LG, etc. for $20 or even less. It's a worthy investment if you want to rip a lot of CDs.

The problem the FLAC compressor was having was a UAC thing.  Fixed it.  EAC is working now.  So is the cd drive, for now.  We'll see if it holds up.

Jan 26, 2016 at 9:29 PM Post #4,087 of 5,414
Hey folks. Does anyone know if I can use both the rca and xlr inputs at same time: MEANING, have two pieces of line-level equipment hooked up, as long as I only use/have-on one at a time?  Thought I'd ask before buying an rca/xlr patch set. Thanks.

Jan 26, 2016 at 9:37 PM Post #4,088 of 5,414
Hey folks. Does anyone know if I can use both the rca and xlr inputs at same time: MEANING, have two pieces of line-level equipment hooked up, as long as I only use/have-on one at a time?  Thought I'd ask before buying an rca/xlr patch set. Thanks.
of course you can. I run RCA > XLR from my phono to the HA-1. I run RCA from my AVR to the RCA in on the HA-1 for HT bypass. In fact, I have every input on my HA-1 connected and switch between them on the fly all the time. The HA-1 is a workhorse!

Jan 26, 2016 at 9:58 PM Post #4,089 of 5,414
of course you can. I run RCA > XLR from my phono to the HA-1. I run RCA from my AVR to the RCA in on the HA-1 for HT bypass. In fact, I have every input on my HA-1 connected and switch between them on the fly all the time. The HA-1 is a workhorse!

^^^  You beat me to it.
No reason why all inputs/output can't be utilized. But as Dougr33 said, obviously you can only use one at a time but switching is pretty seamless, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Jan 30, 2016 at 7:48 PM Post #4,093 of 5,414
  I inadvertently sent a DSD noise signal through my HA-1 when connecting a new DAC.  I now have static on the right channel.  I'm guessing I blew out the analog section of the HA-1. 

I have no idea how likely that is, but if true: ouch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back