Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Feb 19, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #3,001 of 5,414
I believe the HA-1 will be a cult classic soon if not already.  I am using it with Foobar with the SACD plugin, up-sampling all files to DSD256 11.2Mhz.  From my ears, it gives the music a tad little softness and resolution.  I love the fact that the remote can be used to rewind and skip tracks through the USB connection.  Also with Foobar, I can control using their Android app.  

I'm also using it as a preamp for my disc player and phono stage with the outputs going to a Parasound A21 amp.  It is 3 high grade audio components in 1 - an excellent DAC, a versatile preamp with balanced connections, and a class A headphone amp that is transparent and neutral with the ability to drive pretty much anything out there.  Not only that, I love that it has a bluetooth receiver for streaming and a gorgeous screen.  The build quality is just stunning.  All of this for $1200.  Thank you Oppo Digital!

I am looking forward to their portable HA-2 dac/amp.

Feb 19, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #3,002 of 5,414
  I believe the HA-1 will be a cult classic soon if not already.  I am using it with Foobar with the SACD plugin, up-sampling all files to DSD256 11.2Mhz.  From my ears, it gives the music a tad little softness and resolution.  I love the fact that the remote can be used to rewind and skip tracks through the USB connection.  Also with Foobar, I can control using their Android app.  

I'm also using it as a preamp for my disc player and phono stage with the outputs going to a Parasound A21 amp.  It is 3 high grade audio components in 1 - an excellent DAC, a versatile preamp with balanced connections, and a class A headphone amp that is transparent and neutral with the ability to drive pretty much anything out there.  Not only that, I love that it has a bluetooth receiver for streaming and a gorgeous screen.  The build quality is just stunning.  All of this for $1200.  Thank you Oppo Digital!

I am looking forward to their portable HA-2 dac/amp.

If you are able to use the full abilities of the HA1 there is simply nothing that compares.

Feb 19, 2015 at 11:59 AM Post #3,003 of 5,414
We never said anything about the firmware upgrades not being fully tested or meeting any of our certification requirements. Please do not promote FUD.

If it is really a concern of yours that you have the 1.3.2 firmware, then just contact us requesting the 1.3.3 firmware. We will be more than happy to provide you with the firmware, despite it not adding anything useful to the HA-1.

Lol, well that shut up the troll :)

Thank goodness. The trolling was utterly annoying and unnecessary. The baby has stopped crying. Thanks Hastur!

dL

Feb 19, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #3,004 of 5,414
Thank goodness. The trolling was utterly annoying and unnecessary. The baby has stopped crying. Thanks Hastur!

dL

Indeed!  I see this happen on so many forums.  Someone with good inside knowledge of a vendor, Oppo in this case, actively participates in the forum to provide sound advice and information, only to be attacked mercilessly and needlessly, until they give up and go away.  They don't need the aggravation.

I really appreciate the info that Hastur has provided us, and I truly hope they continue to participate on Head-Fi.  The overwhelming majority of us really appreciate the time you take to help us out.  And it's a great opportunity for Oppo to get constructive feedback on the product from enthusiasts of this hobby.

Feb 20, 2015 at 1:42 PM Post #3,007 of 5,414

dL

I'm not sure he/she was a troll. Could have been burned by some bad experience with a firmware/bios update somewhere in the past.

But personally, if a company tells me that I shouldn't bother downloading and installing their latest firmware update, that they know a hell of a lot more about than I do, I trust them to know what they're talking about. So (mentally) I say "Thank you for letting me know that. I have many many other things to do, so this friendly notification saves me 5 minutes (and whatever small risk there is that the update would fail due to power failure or whatever.)"

Feb 20, 2015 at 10:29 PM Post #3,008 of 5,414
Hi Guys and Ladies,
relatively new member to the Head-Fi community. I mostly read, lurk and learn on this forum of all the fabulous info on all things Head-Fi.

I recently scored an awesome deal ($850) on Audiogon from a great guy on an HA-! in pristine condition with original box and all accessories, with 17 months remaining on the transferable warranty. I feel like Christmas came really early for me and Santa was very generous :)  

While I've been going through all the options and enjoying the sounds that this beast creates, I've been a little puzzled by one thing that I can't explain and was wondering if anyone has had the same experience.

I have an iPod classic 160g, loaded with hi-rez music and it works great with the HA-1 when i plug the 30 pin USB cable direct into the front of the HA-1 and direct out of the port of the iPod, all (Oppo) remote functions can control the iPod, but when I try to use an iPod dock, (with the same usb cable that I use to plug in direct to the iPod), nothing works. It's an authentic Apple dock too, no knock off.

Does anyone know if the problem could be with the dock, in that it's not compatible with the Oppo?

This has me scratching my head and any suggestions would be appreciated.

BTW, i also recently scored a like new PM-1 with all original parts included...the cool box, cables, extra ear pads and even a bonus 2 meter balanced Oppo cable from a cool lady on eBay for $800...it arrives Monday...I can hardly wait! 
beyersmile.png

Feb 20, 2015 at 10:38 PM Post #3,009 of 5,414
  Hi Guys and Ladies,
relatively new member to the Head-Fi community. I mostly read, lurk and learn on this forum of all the fabulous info on all things Head-Fi.

I recently scored an awesome deal ($850) on Audiogon from a great guy on an HA-! in pristine condition with original box and all accessories, with 17 months remaining on the transferable warranty. I feel like Christmas came really early for me and Santa was very generous :)  

While I've been going through all the options and enjoying the sounds that this beast creates, I've been a little puzzled by one thing that I can't explain and was wondering if anyone has had the same experience.

I have an iPod classic 160g, loaded with hi-rez music and it works great with the HA-1 when i plug the 30 pin USB cable direct into the front of the HA-1 and direct out of the port of the iPod, all (Oppo) remote functions can control the iPod, but when I try to use an iPod dock, (with the same usb cable that I use to plug in direct to the iPod), nothing works. It's an authentic Apple dock too, no knock off.

Does anyone know if the problem could be with the dock, in that it's not compatible with the Oppo?

This has me scratching my head and any suggestions would be appreciated.

BTW, i also recently scored a like new PM-1 with all original parts included...the cool box, cables, extra ear pads and even a bonus 2 meter balanced Oppo cable from a cool lady on eBay for $800...it arrives Monday...I can hardly wait! 
beyersmile.png

Well, the manual carefully lists most apple devices and (perhaps equally carefully) not the dock. Maybe the dock doesn't pass thru true digital output?  Enjoy.. great deals you got there!!

However, rare is the audio company with a transferable warranty. Here's from the HA-1 manual:
"This limited warranty shall not extend to anyone other than the original purchaser of the product. It is nontransferable and states your exclusive remedy."

Feb 20, 2015 at 10:47 PM Post #3,010 of 5,414

Thanks for quick reply,

I guess I overlooked that (possible) deliberate exclusion of compatible devices. Bummer 
triportsad.gif

As to the warranty, the original owner contacted Oppo through email and explicitly ask if the warranty could be transferred and they told him that it would...the seller even included the (printed) email from the conversation with the original receipt as well, so, I'm pretty sure I'm covered.

Cheers :)

Feb 20, 2015 at 11:04 PM Post #3,011 of 5,414
In this part of the world, as long as the equipment is purchased from an authorised dealer and the original receipt and warranty card are included, the Oppo's distributor will gladly carry out the repair to the current owner.

Feb 21, 2015 at 12:54 AM Post #3,012 of 5,414
In this part of the world, as long as the equipment is purchased from an authorised dealer and the original receipt and warranty card are included, the Oppo's distributor will gladly carry out the repair to the current owner.

Yeah, I think I've read that other parts of the world have a more fair warranty system. In the U.S., most products don't carry a transferable warranty, which always felt like a pretty weasel-y thing for manufacturers to do.

Feb 21, 2015 at 5:36 AM Post #3,013 of 5,414
Has anyone connected a pair of nearfield monitors like the Adam A5x to their Oppo HA-1? Could you please advice any issues and what sort of cables you used? Also, would it be possible to connect the pair of speakers + another sub to the Oppo?

Thanks!

Feb 21, 2015 at 9:02 AM Post #3,015 of 5,414
  Has anyone connected a pair of nearfield monitors like the Adam A5x to their Oppo HA-1? Could you please advice any issues and what sort of cables you used? Also, would it be possible to connect the pair of speakers + another sub to the Oppo?

Thanks!

Yes you can connect two sets of active monitors to the HA-1. One using the balanced outs and the other using the single ended outs. You could use the single ended outs to a sub if you like. You would have to control the Adams directly when you wanted to use them. The balanced outs on the HA-1 are the pair of 3-pin XLR's.   

Users who are viewing this thread

Back