Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Feb 21, 2015 at 9:21 AM Post #3,016 of 5,414

Well, the manual carefully lists most apple devices and (perhaps equally carefully) not the dock. Maybe the dock doesn't pass thru true digital output?  Enjoy.. great deals you got there!!

HI again,
Just wanted to give a quick follow up with the iPod dock issue I was having.

I was digging through a drawer and found an old, 2003 IPod dock, the one with the s-video output connection and the line out connection on the back and thought I'd give that one a try with my HA-1 and as it turns out, IT WORKS! I can now use the Oppo remote to control my iPod when connected to the mobile port!

Clearly there are some differences in the 30 pin connection between the older and newer docks. I'm just glad I was able to find one that works.

HAPPY DAYS! 
atsmile.gif

Feb 21, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #3,017 of 5,414
Hello fellow HA-1 owners. Recently I'm hearing a soft (high pitch) whine on and off when using the balanced output to my HD800.
Especially during the first 30 minutes of usage. It's not always there... but it keeps coming on and off even when nothing is playing.

Anyone experience this?

Someone pointed me to a review which also experience this issue.

The only other sonic issue I noticed with the HA-1 is something I'll call "the phantom whine syndrome." Using Oppo's own PM-1 headphones attached via Oppo's balanced cable (available as an accessory for the Oppo headphones), I noticed an occasional low-level whine that would change pitch. The whine would come and go. I notified Oppo of the issue, but their techs were unable to duplicate it at their repair and test facility. During the review I switched computers, from a MacPro 1.1 to the latest MacPro 5.1, but the problem was present with both computers, so the source of the whine was not the computer. With the regular quarter-inch single-ended cable, the problem never appeared. I suspect that something in my office was the source of the whine, but I was never able to pin down the cause of the problem.

http://hometheaterreview.com/oppo-ha-1-dacpreampheadphone-amplifier-reviewed/

Feb 21, 2015 at 3:40 PM Post #3,018 of 5,414
Hello fellow HA-1 owners. Recently I'm hearing a soft (high pitch) whine on and off when using the balanced output to my HD800.
Especially during the first 30 minutes of usage. It's not always there... but it keeps coming on and off even when nothing is playing.

Anyone experience this?

Someone pointed me to a review which also experience this issue.

http://hometheaterreview.com/oppo-ha-1-dacpreampheadphone-amplifier-reviewed/

I have used the Audeze LCD3, LCDX and HD800 in balanced mode. Never had that issue.

Very strange.

Feb 21, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #3,019 of 5,414
It is a strange issue, but j0ewhite is not crazy. We have also heard the same issue in our office, but have not yet been able to identify it. It is like a sine wave that ramps down really quickly. It is most noticeable with balanced, but you can hear it with single-ended. Since it is so intermittent and exhibits itself so quickly, we have not yet been able to isolate what could be causing it.

Feb 21, 2015 at 4:40 PM Post #3,020 of 5,414
:eek:

Feb 21, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #3,021 of 5,414
It is a strange issue, but j0ewhite is not crazy. We have also heard the same issue in our office, but have not yet been able to identify it. It is like a sine wave that ramps down really quickly. It is most noticeable with balanced, but you can hear it with single-ended. Since it is so intermittent and exhibits itself so quickly, we have not yet been able to isolate what could be causing it.

Maybe cables??? Or the way they are terminated?

Feb 21, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #3,022 of 5,414
We would blame the cables because on the HA-1 unit we had been testing on first exhibited the error when we were testing returned PM-1 balanced headphone cables, but since the review and j0ewhite are using third party headphones and cables, we can't say that it was our manufacturing practices which were causing the error. So we are still trying to pinpoint exactly when it occurs. We find it is more regular if you do not engage any audio playback and just keep power cycling the HA-1, but that is it.

Feb 21, 2015 at 5:28 PM Post #3,023 of 5,414
We would blame the cables because on the HA-1 unit we had been testing on first exhibited the error when we were testing returned PM-1 balanced headphone cables, but since the review and j0ewhite are using third party headphones and cables, we can't say that it was our manufacturing practices which were causing the error. So we are still trying to pinpoint exactly when it occurs. We find it is more regular if you do not engage any audio playback and just keep power cycling the HA-1, but that is it.

Electrical grounding?? Maybe others are not using the supplied power cable?

Feb 21, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #3,024 of 5,414
Possible, but without changing the configuration of the HA-1 that we were using except for headphone cable, we were able to hear the error for the first time. So at this time we really have no handle on what it may be.

Feb 21, 2015 at 11:07 PM Post #3,026 of 5,414
I used to drive HD800 with 4 different balanced cables but never had any problems but be aware that I never used supplied power cord

Yeah, I have used 3 different types. Plus I use a 3 meter XLR extender cable and I have never heard it.

I didn't use the stock cable either. As I imported direct from Oppo US and live in New Zealand. So I couldn't use the supplied cable. We are also on 240 v power. So a difference there also.

Feb 21, 2015 at 11:25 PM Post #3,027 of 5,414
Yeah, I have used 3 different types. Plus I use a 3 meter XLR extender cable and I have never heard it.

I didn't use the stock cable either. As I imported direct from Oppo US and live in New Zealand. So I couldn't use the supplied cable. We are also on 240 v power. So a difference there also.

Joewhite is from Singapore and the voltage is also 230/240v, while Oppo's HQ is on 110/120v, so it might not due to the supply voltage.
So far on my HD800, MDR-Z7 and previously owned LCD-X, all on balanced cables, I have not encountered this problem, but will keep a look out in case it appears in the future

Feb 22, 2015 at 6:34 AM Post #3,028 of 5,414
Has anyone connected a pair of nearfield monitors like the Adam A5x to their Oppo HA-1? Could you please advice any issues and what sort of cables you used? Also, would it be possible to connect the pair of speakers + another sub to the Oppo?

Thanks!

You can only connect powered speakers directly to HA-1

That's exactly what I'm considering.. A pair of Adam a5x connected to the oppo, in this case I think it would be connecting one xlr cable to one side of the speaker and then using the stereo link between the two speakers.. Too bad shipment to Singapore only comes at the end of March and I have to wait

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Feb 22, 2015 at 8:52 AM Post #3,029 of 5,414
That's exactly what I'm considering.. A pair of Adam a5x connected to the oppo, in this case I think it would be connecting one xlr cable to one side of the speaker and then using the stereo link between the two speakers.. Too bad shipment to Singapore only comes at the end of March and I have to wait

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

If I am not wrong, Stereo Link only works with RCA cables (not the XLR). At least that is what I understand for my Adam ARTist 5 speakers. So you might want to double check on this for the A5X.

By the way, the Adams sound great connected to the Oppo.

Feb 22, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #3,030 of 5,414
I have noticed that when rotating the volume knob at around 11-12 o'clock the dB level jumps backwards one or two segments. If I go past 12 o'clock, no issue. Also happens with remote. I have firmware 1.3.2. Unit was built in May 2014.

Is this normal???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back