Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Feb 11, 2015 at 8:30 AM Post #2,927 of 5,414
^^^just to help clarify, the 'option' is available in setup, same place you'd choose normal or hi-level output.   I do sorta wish they'd offer the option to have inserting headphones muting the back panel outputs.. I like to keep my amp on, and now have to use the mute button (and considering the differences in levels between driving my amp and my headphones, accidently unmuting might kill my speakers!

Feb 11, 2015 at 9:43 AM Post #2,928 of 5,414
  ^^^just to help clarify, the 'option' is available in setup, same place you'd choose normal or hi-level output.   I do sorta wish they'd offer the option to have inserting headphones muting the back panel outputs.. I like to keep my amp on, and now have to use the mute button (and considering the differences in levels between driving my amp and my headphones, accidently unmuting might kill my speakers!

Then you have to be careful not pull the headphone out when the back output engages before you turn the volume down.

Feb 11, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #2,929 of 5,414
^ I don't think Best Buy Magnolia stores carry Oppo personal products (yet).
The reason Oppo's search engine found that listing, is because the Magnolia stores do carry the Oppo Universal Blu-ray Players.

That makes sense.  You saved me a trip to BB.  Seems like no local authorized dealer near me to demo this unit.  Kind of difficult to drop over a grand to demo it and return it online. 

Feb 11, 2015 at 11:35 AM Post #2,930 of 5,414
^ I don't think Best Buy Magnolia stores carry Oppo personal products (yet).

The reason Oppo's search engine found that listing, is because the Magnolia stores do carry the Oppo Universal Blu-ray Players.

That makes sense.  You saved me a trip to BB.  Seems like no local authorized dealer near me to demo this unit.  Kind of difficult to drop over a grand to demo it and return it online. 

Well, depending on where you live, you might have a local shop that has one to listen too.
Some higher end audio boutique shops will have them without it being well known.
You could call around to any that might be in your area, or call/email Oppo directly and give them your location and they may be able to help too.

Feb 11, 2015 at 8:25 PM Post #2,931 of 5,414
I have a new pair of grado rs-1s and have read a great deal of this thread and done a search but can't find much information on the oppo ha-1 and the grado rs-1 combo. I am seriously considering the oppo but wanted to get some input on how it would compliment my Grado's or not.

Feb 11, 2015 at 9:28 PM Post #2,932 of 5,414
Anyone driving the HE-500s or Denon AH-D5000s with the Oppo HA-1? If so how does it sound? Thinking of selling my Bifrost Uber and Emotiva Mini-X and going with the Oppo HA-1 as my DAC and amp for the HE-500s and Denon AH-D5000s.

Feb 12, 2015 at 7:15 AM Post #2,933 of 5,414
I have a new pair of grado rs-1s and have read a great deal of this thread and done a search but can't find much information on the oppo ha-1 and the grado rs-1 combo. I am seriously considering the oppo but wanted to get some input on how it would compliment my Grado's or not.

I did not care for my Grados together with the Oppo.  I much preferred HE-500 and Audeze .

Feb 12, 2015 at 8:44 AM Post #2,934 of 5,414

Not disregarding other sellers or site sponsors but musicdirect has free shipping and 60 day return policy just to answer that very question. I get most of gear there.

Feb 12, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #2,935 of 5,414

Not disregarding other sellers or site sponsors but musicdirect has free shipping and 60 day return policy just to answer that very question. I get most of gear there.

Music Direct Return Policy:

"Also please note, if you received Free Shipping with your initial order and you returned the non-defective item, we will deduct the initial shipping fee from your refund."  ?????

I bought mine direct from Oppo. Shipping is $20 FedEx. Got it in 2 days. If you want to return they pay return shipping.

Feb 12, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #2,937 of 5,414
  So what's the general opinion on pairing the HA-1 with the HD 800s? Very strongly considering this pair but opinions seem to be split 50/50. One half saying it's a wonderful match with excellent synergy/sound while the other half saying the sound is overly bright or even unbearable.

I prefer my sound to be for the most part neutral and natural.

I've been using my Denon D2000's plugged into a Apogee Duet for the past couple years and generally enjoyed the sound. The main thing that bugged me about the Denon's was the somewhat recessed midrange (vocals.) Just sold my D2000s and planning on picking up this pair. The only other headphones I have are Sony MDR-7506's, which I love.

Oh and i'm a huge fan of Oppo products in general...I own both a 103 and 103D. Top notch players with awesome value.

I'd hold off on the HD 800 x HA-1 pairing. The HA1 seems to perform much more pleasantly with orthodynamics. I use it with the HE 560s as do many others and find it to be quite satisfying indeed, in addition one of my favorite pairings is the T50RP and HA-1. I've also heard good things regarding the HA-1 and the LCD series by Audeze, but cannot confirm thoroughly as I've only tried it with a set of my friends LCD2s for a marginal time. Additionally, I think the 560s when hooked up with a good amp pairing running in a balanced configuration are pretty close to TOTL headphones such as the HD800 and T1 with only minor inferior traits. 

Feb 12, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #2,938 of 5,414
So what's the general opinion on pairing the HA-1 with the HD 800s?

Via balanced, I love this combination. I use Fab Filter Pro-Q 2 for minor tweaks to the curve with poorer recordings, but I would much rather have a phone/amp combination that reveals as much of the source as possible, as this is the only way to experience well recorded material.

Feb 12, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #2,939 of 5,414
Via balanced, I love this combination. I use Fab Filter Pro-Q 2 for minor tweaks to the curve with poorer recordings, but I would much rather have a phone/amp combination that reveals as much of the source as possible, as this is the only way to experience well recorded material.

+1 from me, HD800 with HA-1 is excellent but if you are into warm sound signature you might go with Burson or tube amps (Zana Deux). For me HA-1 pairs really well with HD800.

Feb 12, 2015 at 3:30 PM Post #2,940 of 5,414

Thrang and I are definitely on the same wavelength regarding this.  BTW, I've only seen one opinion of the HD800/HA-1 pairing saying the sound was unbearable.  That has to be a hearing issue, equipment malfunction, or recordings that were downloaded from iTunes, IMO  :)  I have never tried any cans using anything but balanced cables, so I can't speak to how this pairing works via the 1/4" RCA.

if you already own the HD800's, you can try the HA-1, and return it if it's not your cup of tea.  I don't make a habit of "auditioning" gear and using return policies if I don't like them, but with a company like Oppo, there really is no other choice....no brick/morter retailer stocks them for audition purposes that I am familiar with, and I think Oppo fully understands that this hobby is likely the most subjective one out there.

Thrang's comments regarding the HA-1 being very pure with sound reproduction are dead on, and I almost hate to admit that I am finding myself listening to the HA-1 more that my tube amp set up....I choked up a little writing that  !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back