Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Feb 8, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #2,900 of 5,414

Not yet, I have changed USB cable (now longer but possibly better quality) if I get any repeats I will probably return amp for a refund. Is there any other product similar i.e DAC/Headphone amp with balanced output and volume controlled XLR outs?

Wonders how many electronic items have been returned because they where connected to bad cables...

There are other products out there but in my opinion they can't quite compete with the Oppo for a variety or reasons.

Feb 8, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #2,902 of 5,414
I am using two different Macs for streaming or playing hi-rez downloads.  A Macbook Pro Retina (July 2012) and a Mac Pro (late 2007.)  The Retina has the latest Yosemite OS (I am a beta tester so I always have the latest version), the Mac Pro has the Lion OS (can't up grade further because it is 32 bit.)  My HA-1 was delivered in August or September.  I have had ZERO cutouts from either computers using USB cable that I purchased from Radio Shack which is 3 meters long.  The digital players I use are both versions of Audirvana Plus on the Retina and the 1st version of Audirvana on the Mac Pro (again 32 bit.)  I use mainly Tidal as my streaming service and that is where I will get occasional cutouts but it is Tidal that is causing the cutouts not the HA-1, Mac computers or the cheap USB cable.  I would certainly do more investigation before sending the HA-1 back.  I have a Oppo DV-981HD, Oppo BDP-105, Oppo PM-1 and the Oppo HA-1 and have never ever had the first problem with any of the products.  There are very few products of any kind that can say the same thing about.

Feb 8, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #2,904 of 5,414
I also have my silver HA-1 hooked up to my iMac via USB, not a single dropout even with multi-hour listening sessions. Hope that the cable replacement was the fix you needed.

Otherwise keep in mind that especially with USB, you add a whole raft of potential issues, from your media player software (and its settings) to the Audio/MIDI settings panel to CPU usage spikes (which can affect USB since it's CPU dependent), on Windows also the audio driver setup etc.

So, in general, for everyone: the more detailed info you post, the more likely people will be able to give you specific advice on what may help.

Feb 8, 2015 at 9:26 PM Post #2,905 of 5,414
I've been using my HA-1 McIntosh MHP1000 for lots of gaming recently and it's pure bliss. My custom balanced cable should be done next week allowing me to plug into the XLR output.

Nothing useful here just praise

Feb 9, 2015 at 4:24 AM Post #2,906 of 5,414

Wonders how many electronic items have been returned because they where connected to bad cables...

There are other products out there but in my opinion they can't quite compete with the Oppo for a variety or reasons.

I do not think the cable is the problem in this case as I have had another dropout with the replacement cable. I have had zero dropouts in the past with my old DAC and the one before it. Continuing to monitor today.

Feb 9, 2015 at 4:39 AM Post #2,907 of 5,414
  I also have my silver HA-1 hooked up to my iMac via USB, not a single dropout even with multi-hour listening sessions. Hope that the cable replacement was the fix you needed.

Otherwise keep in mind that especially with USB, you add a whole raft of potential issues, from your media player software (and its settings) to the Audio/MIDI settings panel to CPU usage spikes (which can affect USB since it's CPU dependent), on Windows also the audio driver setup etc.

So, in general, for everyone: the more detailed info you post, the more likely people will be able to give you specific advice on what may help.

I Have had 1 drop out with the replacement cable so that has much reduced the chance of the cable being the culprit. I am using iTunes from a Mac so there are very few settings to play with. Not like on a PC. Not doing anything demanding on the Mac so I do not believe it is a CPU overload issue. I will see if I get a repeat when Mac is only running iTunes.

Feb 9, 2015 at 12:45 PM Post #2,908 of 5,414
I am certainly noticing a lot more detail in my music library with the HA1. You can identify any bad recordings or bad musicians (drums being slightly out of time are now noticeable) very surprised by one track today, sounded so bad. 

Feb 9, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #2,909 of 5,414

I Have had 1 drop out with the replacement cable so that has much reduced the chance of the cable being the culprit. I am using iTunes from a Mac so there are very few settings to play with. Not like on a PC. Not doing anything demanding on the Mac so I do not believe it is a CPU overload issue. I will see if I get a repeat when Mac is only running iTunes.

A quick search on goggle shows quite a few issues on audio dropouts on MACs. Try these steps as shown on this web page just to see if it will make a difference.

https://support.serato.com/hc/en-us/articles/202552390-Troubleshoot-USB-dropouts-audio-glitches-Mac-

Feb 9, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #2,910 of 5,414
My trouble only begins when my Mac goes to sleep and doesn't recognize the OPPO when it wakes. I will say that the problem only came up when I had to move my Mac to the other side of the room and have 15 foot run to the OPPO. Bought a fancy USB cable that did nothing so now I have been thinking about getting a Wyrd to solve the problem,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back