Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Feb 6, 2015 at 8:55 AM Post #2,866 of 5,414
  Hi folks, took me so long to get to the end of this thread that I gave in and ordered a HA1 just before some of the posts about reliability issues in the silver model. I even changed my order from black to silver, oh no. Collecting it on Saturday, Fingers crossed! 

I need to get headphones to go with this and am considering HD800, HD700 or PM1or 2. Can't spend more than cost of HD800. What other headphones do you think I should I be looking at?

Thanks

All of the phones you are asking about sound great with the HA-1...  Think " Balanced output "  though and they will all give you more from the HA-1...   also consider that these are all open back and don't have much isolation ...  so you are going to hear sounds around you and people that are around you will hear your music...    if that is of any concern then you will want to look into a closed phone....  may I suggest the Alpha Prime headphone...    it pairs very very well with the HA-1 as a closed phone...   again...  Balanced cables for these too...     I think you will enjoy them very much...

Feb 6, 2015 at 9:25 AM Post #2,867 of 5,414
All of the phones you are asking about sound great with the HA-1...  Think " Balanced output "  though and they will all give you more from the HA-1...   also consider that these are all open back and don't have much isolation ...  so you are going to hear sounds around you and people that are around you will hear your music...    if that is of any concern then you will want to look into a closed phone....  may I suggest the Alpha Prime headphone...    it pairs very very well with the HA-1 as a closed phone...   again...  Balanced cables for these too...     I think you will enjoy them very much...

+1 Alpha Prime's are great.

Feb 6, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #2,868 of 5,414
  Hi folks, took me so long to get to the end of this thread that I gave in and ordered a HA1 just before some of the posts about reliability issues in the silver model. I even changed my order from black to silver, oh no. Collecting it on Saturday, Fingers crossed! 

I need to get headphones to go with this and am considering HD800, HD700 or PM1or 2. Can't spend more than cost of HD800. What other headphones do you think I should I be looking at?

Thanks

If you are looking in that price range add the McIntosh MHP1000s to your list especially if you prefer a closed back. Its what I paired with my HA1 and I couldn't be happier. 

Comes with a cool stand too :wink:

Feb 6, 2015 at 10:19 AM Post #2,869 of 5,414
If you want an open back, really try the Oppo PM-1 or 2. The PM-1 with the alternative earpads sounds wide open, clear and crisp. But in this price range there are no bad headphones. You really must try to listen to them first. But for me, the HA-1 and the PM-1 is one happy couple, joint for a long long time....

Feb 6, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #2,871 of 5,414
Vote for Oppo HA1 on massdrop:
https://www.massdrop.com/vote/oppo-ha-1

Feb 6, 2015 at 10:09 PM Post #2,874 of 5,414
What kind of price would you expect to pay through massdrop?  I haven't tried it out yet. 

Don't get your hopes much.
Having own some Oppo's products from their DV980 dvd player since 2007, rarely seen Oppo's products on sale and I also know that in some countries, Oppo's is against their distributors and retailers selling their products at discounts.

Feb 6, 2015 at 11:04 PM Post #2,875 of 5,414
Don't get your hopes much.
Having own some Oppo's products from their DV980 dvd player since 2007, rarely seen Oppo's products on sale and I also know that in some countries, Oppo's is against their distributors and retailers selling their products at discounts.

I support the idea of NOT having discounts on Oppo!

Oppo should maintain its status within the Blue-ray world. It also must build a good reputation and classy status within the headphones world as well.

Please no discount "Schiit-y" stuff! 

Feb 6, 2015 at 11:17 PM Post #2,876 of 5,414
Woo Audio gave a 10% discount + free shipping on their gear this last Christmas time don't know if they do that every year or not but I certainly took advantage of it, and look at there reputation very classy. Discounts do not diminish a companies products or image in any way, I think it makes good business sense..   

Feb 7, 2015 at 12:17 AM Post #2,877 of 5,414
I support the idea of NOT having discounts on Oppo!

Oppo should maintain its status within the Blue-ray world. It also must build a good reputation and classy status within the headphones world as well.

Please no discount "Schiit-y" stuff! 

Wouldnt hurt to look for a used one though, I was able to pick mine up for $800 previously owned.

Feb 7, 2015 at 9:22 AM Post #2,879 of 5,414
Or "demo" at online retailers. (I think they often open them just to be able to put a discount on stuff often not allowed to discount).  Right now MusicDirect.com has 'demo' PM-2 for $569. Wish I'd waited! I did get $100 of my HA-1 though.

Feb 7, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #2,880 of 5,414
I would normally not be the one to intervene when a thread starts swinging from an intellectual conversation between opposing sides, to a cat-fight throwing passive aggressive swings... well maybe it hasn't gone quite that far off course.  :evil:

I feel that both parties are inadvertently arguing over the same exact point just viewed from two different sides.  Here's an outside perspective.  One side says the HA-1 is bright and the other says its neutral.  Now that we have that cleared up, a few points on both. Bright usually defines a piece of equipment as detailed, treble forward or at least treble-clear.  No muddiness and usually tons of spacial cues.  Where neutral generally suggests no one frequency is emphasized more or less than another.  Neutral in a headphone is very different than neutral in a dac, or neutral in an amp... To put it in perspective.  When talking with many Hifi shop owners about speakers setups the term bright, neutral, and warm can all be used at the same time to describe a speaker setup.  So can it be not said that the Oppo HA-1 is both neutral and bright?

Probably not.  And here is the only important piece of information that we really have... the bit that makes either arguments not relevant.  None of us have any idea about how you guys are testing or listening to your setups or what type of music you're listening to.  

For all we know... Bright is a positive thing for one and neutral is another.  Or vise-versa...

My experience with Oppo's HA-1 was short, but very enjoyable.  I was never disappointed, but rather content with every configuration I tested it with.  No one configuration blew me away (with the exception of the synergy between the HA-1's amp and my modded HE-4, which gives no one any level of comparison since I didn't describe any relevant information).  I would recommend the HA-1 whole-heartedly, but I never actually bought one for myself.  I found the amp is good at what it's good at, but that never ended up working out with my goals for listening.  If there was a new model with just the Amp/pre-amp portion of the HA-1, I would buy it in an instant, finding that the DAC is just not to my liking.  Too many people on reading too deep on Headfi and forget that the only way to know a piece of equipment is to listen to it for yourself with your own ears.  Nothing else will tell your the whole story.

It's important to get impressions from every perspective, but also to keep it respectful and relevant.  Let the end user digest it on their own.  If they have questions, they will ask.  

Here's my background.  My listening is made up of mostly streaming, Youtube, Netflix, and modern poorly-recorded music (indie, mainstream, pop, etc).  This allows me to discover new artist and get the most enjoyment out of my limited time with my gear each day/week.  I love the sound of well recorded music, but have too little time to listen to what I've found most "audiophiles" listen to.  I collect CDs where I can, but having a non-forgiving, super-revealing, all-or-nothing system does not allow me to listen to what gives me the most enjoyment.  If you take that into perspective and add the HA-1 and the HD800 in the mix, then watch out... you'll get sibilance for days.  But if I hook up all my best components, run ASIO, hi-res well-recorded music, it shows.  Garbage in, garbage out.  I feel this not communicated enough.

So here's my suggestion... if you want people to understand your perspective, add some ground for control.  It is no surprise that most of the reviewers will post their chain and the music sample they used for testing.  Along with knowing preferences and biases among those reviewers, the end consumer now has some information they can use to make a more informed decision.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back