Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Feb 7, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #2,882 of 5,414
no doubt my LCD3 sounds very good with the HA-1 over a tube amp.  i still trying to decide if I like the LCD3 "house sound" or not.....

It's just so radically different from the HD800.   that's actually the reason I bought the LCD3 was to get a completely different sound signature to my music, but I just like the presentation of the HD800 so much.

I think i am definitely in the minority of those who really like the HD800 with the HA-1, though.

This is just such a wonderful piece of gear.  So well put together, well optioned, and fantastic sound quality...It really is a steal at $1,200....

Couple of things I have noticed are really nice touches they added.  When I switch from normal to high impedance headphones, the volume control winds down to a very low listening level automatically before cutting in the sound, to avoid both ear and headphone damage.  That's not something I really ever forget (changing the headphone impedance level), but it's a great safeguard.

I also like that I can be in bypass mode with the pre-outs attached to a different amp, but at the same time, be able to use the volume control on the HA-1  to drive headphones attached directly to it.  wonderful

Feb 7, 2015 at 2:14 PM Post #2,883 of 5,414
Just picked up my Silver HA1 about 2 hours ago (September 2014 build, so fingers crossed).

Dealer did not have my final choice of headphones (HD800) in stock so I am listening with my old HD485. They do not sound too bad.

I was previously using a Mackie Blackjack for my headphone monitoring so the sound is certainly improved but then it should be given the price difference. Much improved dynamics. Going straight in via USB from my Mac.

Will give a more detailed report in a few days when I get my HD800s. What is the best way to connect CD? optical or Coaxial?  

Feb 7, 2015 at 6:08 PM Post #2,885 of 5,414
Big Crap, looks like I have a problem with cutting out. Only done it a couple of times but I have never had any problem with my previous system. Is this just the Silver models? Has any owner with a black model had a problem?

Feb 7, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #2,887 of 5,414
  Big Crap, looks like I have a problem with cutting out. Only done it a couple of times but I have never had any problem with my previous system. Is this just the Silver models? Has any owner with a black model had a problem?

Are you using the USB input? If just the USB it could be a sign of a buffer underrun. The previous issues I heard deals with volume fluctuating. Without more details on your setup can not say more.

Feb 7, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #2,888 of 5,414

Tell me more about your issue, what do u mean by cutting out???

Are you using the USB input? If just the USB it could be a sign of a buffer underrun. The previous issues I heard deals with volume fluctuating. Without more details on your setup can not say more.

Yes I am using USB. The sound just cuts out for about a second. (done it twice in 3-4 hours of listening)(not continuous) Using short USB cable. Never had this before ever so don't think it is my mac.

Feb 7, 2015 at 6:24 PM Post #2,889 of 5,414

Yes I am using USB. The sound just cuts out for about a second. (done it twice in 3-4 hours of listening)(not continuous) Using short USB cable. Never had this before ever so don't think it is my mac.

Damn it!

I am having the same issue!!!!
I thought this might be normal, this is why I didn't bother. 

What do you think???

Feb 7, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #2,892 of 5,414

Damn it!

I am having the same issue!!!!
I thought this might be normal, this is why I didn't bother. 

What do you think???

First if you are using a PC with the Oppo PC driver set the buffers to safe at 4096 size and see if you noticed a change. What are you using for playback? Does the sound cuts out when playing a video? Try different USB ports. Is the USB port is being shared? I can make my various USB DAC's to cut out less than a second with mismatch buffer settings. The sound should not cut out if using the analog inputs.

Feb 7, 2015 at 7:04 PM Post #2,893 of 5,414

What are you using for playback and does it have any buffer setting you can try? I am more of a PC guy. Some USB cables are plain lousy. May work for one and not with the other. 

Feb 7, 2015 at 7:13 PM Post #2,894 of 5,414
The Mac doesn't need drivers.   Check below from Oppo support page:

"For Mac computers, no software driver is required. Please set "System Preferences -> Sound -> Output" to "OPPO HA-1 USB Audio 2.0 DAC".

I've had my silver since they were first available and had no issues with it at all.  I would suggest an email to Oppo support.  

Feb 7, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #2,895 of 5,414

What are you using for playback and does it have any buffer setting you can try? I am more of a PC guy. Some USB cables are plain lousy. May work for one and not with the other. 
Plus many people have problems with Mac OS newer then 10.9

Users who are viewing this thread

Back