Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Feb 13, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #2,941 of 5,414
  So what's the general opinion on pairing the HA-1 with the HD 800s? Very strongly considering this pair but opinions seem to be split 50/50. One half saying it's a wonderful match with excellent synergy/sound while the other half saying the sound is overly bright or even unbearable.

I prefer my sound to be for the most part neutral and natural.

I've been using my Denon D2000's plugged into a Apogee Duet for the past couple years and generally enjoyed the sound. The main thing that bugged me about the Denon's was the somewhat recessed midrange (vocals.) Just sold my D2000s and planning on picking up this pair. The only other headphones I have are Sony MDR-7506's, which I love.

Oh and i'm a huge fan of Oppo products in general...I own both a 103 and 103D. Top notch players with awesome value.

I have no experience with your existing set up and have only just got my HD800s today (so not run in) In my opinion, so far and only running standard jack output, I would say it is a very natural and flat response. This can make them seem a bit unexciting compared to some less neutral headphones. Another thing I have noticed is a tendancy to keep turning them up due to their extremely low distortion and angled drivers. Apart from this I am loving the pairing. I have not experienced anything unbearable yet!
I will post again in a week or so once the HD800s are run in.

Feb 14, 2015 at 6:02 PM Post #2,944 of 5,414
Did any of you Oppo HA-1 owners have had the chance to compare it with the Marantz HD-DAC1?  From what I can see, the Oppo has a couple more features, but the Marantz may have a slightly softer or analogue sound?

Feb 14, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #2,945 of 5,414
Did any of you Oppo HA-1 owners have had the chance to compare it with the Marantz HD-DAC1?  From what I can see, the Oppo has a couple more features, but the Marantz may have a slightly softer or analogue sound?

I'm interested in this too.
Which unit sounds better? Marantz DAC1 is $400 cheaper. Oppo HA-1 comes with digital screen and higher resolution PCM support.
Can anyone comment on sound quality comparison?

Feb 14, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #2,948 of 5,414
So, is balanced out of HA-1 much better than usual 1/4" out??

How does it sound compared to normal headphone out?

Balanced topology throughout in the HA-1 from DAC to jack. It's 4x more powerful than SE so if your headphones require the power you most certainly will hear a difference in dynamics. I find the details to be better as well. Don't know if it's because of the power or the noise rejection inherent with balanced topology.

Feb 14, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #2,949 of 5,414
Balanced topology throughout in the HA-1 from DAC to jack. It's 4x more powerful than SE so if your headphones require the power you most certainly will hear a difference in dynamics. I find the details to be better as well. Don't know if it's because of the power or the noise rejection inherent with balanced topology.

Then, how does HA-1's balanced out sound compared to iDSD Micro, Hugo, AK240, Marantz DAC1, Benchmark DAC2?

Feb 14, 2015 at 9:11 PM Post #2,950 of 5,414
Then, how does HA-1's balanced out sound compared to iDSD Micro, Hugo, AK240, Marantz DAC1, Benchmark DAC2?

Good question, but I don't have all the mentioned amps and DACs on hand for a comparison. I just know what I hear from the HA-1 single ended compared to balanced and the differences they present on the same unit. SE sounds good and without hearing balanced I wouldn't complain. Since I've heard balanced I prefer to listen to it.

Edit: Also, balanced output is irrelevant from stand alone DACs as its an amplifier topology that sources left and right channels separately from the DAC. If not sending the HA-1 a balanced line level signal you aren't truely getting balanced topology in the system. If sending a digital input to the HA-1 you are using the HA-1 DAC so the other DACs would be irrelevant.

Feb 15, 2015 at 9:53 PM Post #2,953 of 5,414
I'm running 4- pin xlr's on my grados and hd800. now I just orders a pair of grado 1000's . Always be a Senn guy now moving to Grados because of the amp'
you have to listen to live Yes with this set up. 

Feb 15, 2015 at 11:42 PM Post #2,955 of 5,414
Where did you get the XLR from?

The XLR termination is from McIntosh its one of their own XLR cables. It's just the housing actually becaus their XLR connections are 3 pin vs the 4 pin needed for the Oppo. Essentially I stared with the Oppo XLR cable built for the PM1 and changed the terminations on the ends to both fit my MHP1000 and maintain the Mcintish look.

The other end is from a McIntosh trigger cable which essentially just 3.5mm stereo ends that look good. Only place the get the cables for the terminations are direct from McIntosh or find them used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back