Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Oct 12, 2014 at 2:36 AM Post #1,817 of 5,414
Hey Badas, no hurt intended toward you. My 'LOL' was directed entirely toward Herueyes's ever quirky humor in his post and not at your two stands. I'm glad for you and jealous at the same time.

Chin up dude, we value your posts.

:beerchug:

Oct 12, 2014 at 4:29 AM Post #1,818 of 5,414
^^^

All good. Done and dusted.

Let's crank on about the fantastic HA-1.

Oct 12, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #1,819 of 5,414
Hey ya'll if you haven't already this is where we can all bling out and get our pimp game on...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/212768/pics-of-headphones-rules-one-pic-no-words

esp. you Maxx134 - That Headphone tree is Amazing!!!

Peace...
L3000.gif

Oct 14, 2014 at 8:32 AM Post #1,820 of 5,414
Hey ya'll if you haven't already this is where we can all bling out and get our pimp game on...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/212768/pics-of-headphones-rules-one-pic-no-words

esp. you [COLOR=0000FF]Maxx134[/COLOR] - That Headphone tree is Amazing!!!

Peace...:L3000:  

Haha that was my "headphone tree" when I first moved into my fiancé place....
I since chopped it down to only an hd800,ed12, th600 & ed8 and all else going /gone for wedding fund...
The oppo stays probably for next 5yrs lol..
Also havr to say I am starting to believe the balanced out are much superior to single ended because I noticed its on every can a larger soundstage with the balanced out...

Oct 27, 2014 at 2:24 AM Post #1,821 of 5,414
This may make some of you laugh because im about 50 pages into this thread and cant find even a single reference to the purpose I ordered the HA-1 for (just ordered it about an hour ago).

My current surround sound processor doesn't have a headphone input, does does my 2 channel setup. I plan to use the oppo for gaming and watching movies during times the wife is sleeping and I dont want to disturb here (live in a loft).

Everyone seems to talk about using headphone amps for music (which ill probably do), but dont any of you use yout set up for gaming or movies? Audio quality is just as important for those experiences too...or am I nuts?

Would be curious if anyone has used theirs for something along those lines. 

Oct 27, 2014 at 3:40 AM Post #1,822 of 5,414
  This may make some of you laugh because im about 50 pages into this thread and cant find even a single reference to the purpose I ordered the HA-1 for (just ordered it about an hour ago).

My current surround sound processor doesn't have a headphone input, does does my 2 channel setup. I plan to use the oppo for gaming and watching movies during times the wife is sleeping and I dont want to disturb here (live in a loft).

Everyone seems to talk about using headphone amps for music (which ill probably do), but dont any of you use yout set up for gaming or movies? Audio quality is just as important for those experiences too...or am I nuts?

Would be curious if anyone has used theirs for something along those lines. 

I also used mine to watch movies when I'm not using in for music.
Normally I paired the HA-1 with HD800 when watching movies as the sound staging of this pairing is just sublime :D

Oct 27, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #1,824 of 5,414
Be aware that HA-1 accepts only stereo signal so forget about any multi channel stuff while watching movies or playing

Thanks, and yes im aware. Ill just change the course to send uncompressed stereo. Just curious would it accept Dolby digital 2.0, or DTS 2.0, or just PCM?

Oct 27, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #1,825 of 5,414
  Thanks, and yes im aware. Ill just change the course to send uncompressed stereo. Just curious would it accept Dolby digital 2.0, or DTS 2.0, or just PCM?

From the manual:

The Coaxial, Optical and AES/EBU Digital Audio Inputs accept stereo PCM signals only. Compressed audio 
signals such as Dolby Digital or DTS are not supported.

Oct 28, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #1,827 of 5,414
Svatopluk,

I have the same combo. Which balanced cable did you buy? Did you consider any others? There seems to be quite a range of prices for these (from expensive to ultra-expensive).

Mark.

Oct 28, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #1,829 of 5,414
So just received the Oppo HA-1 today. Running Audeze LCD-3 (High Gain) with a 15' Norne Audio SE Cable. Initial observations:

- Easy set up. Windows 8.1 drivers were a 30 second install and did not require a reboot.

- Bluetooth connection to HTC One M8 was 20 seconds, no passcode, just scan and auto pair.

- Optical Out from Yamaha CD-S1000. Pink Floyd - Meddle (Discovery Set Remaster). Echoes starts out with a nice black background, great transparency to small background ambient sounds in the intro. Skipped to San Tropez for acoustic guitar and there was excellent imaging and tone.

- USB out from JRiver (ASIO). Infected Mushroom - Vicious Delicious. Great bottom end with a very wide soundstage, bright treble with no harshness. Very balanced tonality. Ray LaMontagne - You Can Bring Me Flowers. Great texture to the vocals, acoustic guitar and drums have good definition and the gradual build of the horn section is very well executed

- HTC One M8 via Bluetooth using Spotify (Extreme Setting). Sounds excellent, but there is noticeable audio POPS in any track played. I will try RDIO and another phone to see if this is connection or the HTC and Spotify specifically. Anyone else run into this? update...I have tested local files and network files via Bluetooth and all exhibit pops during playback with my HTC One M8 and the HA-1. I have now tested with an iPad Air as well, and the issue appears to be with the HTC or Android. I have sent an email to Oppo and will update.

- Audeze Balanced Cable vs Norne SE. More power delivery with XLR. SE cable at 0DB Volume (Max is +6DB) is matched by the XLR out at -7DB. Once volume matched there is no initially perceived difference in soundstage or tonality, but the extra adjustability will likely make balanced the preferred connection.

Will add additional once I have more time with the unit.

Oct 28, 2014 at 6:17 PM Post #1,830 of 5,414
  So just received the Oppo HA-1 today. Running Audeze LCD-3 (High Gain) with a 15' Norne Audio SE Cable. Initial observations:

- Easy set up. Windows 8.1 drivers were a 30 second install and did not require a reboot.

- Bluetooth connection to HTC One M8 was 20 seconds, no passcode, just scan and auto pair.

- Optical Out from Yamaha CD-S1000. Pink Floyd - Meddle (Discovery Set Remaster). Echoes starts out with a nice black background, great transparency to small background ambient sounds in the intro. Skipped to San Tropez for acoustic guitar and there was excellent imaging and tone.

- USB out from JRiver (ASIO). Infected Mushroom - Vicious Delicious. Great bottom end with a very wide soundstage, bright treble with no harshness. Very balanced tonality. Ray LaMontagne - You Can Bring Me Flowers. Great texture to the vocals, acoustic guitar and drums have good definition and the gradual build of the horn section is very well executed

- HTC One M8 via Bluetooth using Spotify (Extreme Setting). Sounds excellent, but there is noticeable audio POPS in any track played. I will try RDIO and another phone to see if this is connection or the HTC and Spotify specifically. Anyone else run into this? update...content streamed to my phone from my local network and sent to the Oppo HA-1 DOES NOT pop, so it appears to be Spotify specific.

- Audeze Balanced Cable vs Norne SE. More power delivery with XLR. SE cable at 0DB Volume (Max is +6DB) is matched by the XLR out at -7DB. Once volume matched there is no initially perceived difference in soundstage or tonality, but the extra adjustability will likely make balanced the preferred connection.

Will add additional once I have more time with the unit.

Great initial review. Nice Pic. What is the blue glow. For a second I actually thought you had custom blue paint job on your Audeze.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back