Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Oct 3, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #1,786 of 5,414
Deep sigh. I suppose that's always the risk you run with any type of AV gear - instant buyers regret. As mentioned that's why I like the Gunghir - seems they put a lot of thought in to ease of upgrade path. Decisions, decisions ...

I would like to add. I own the Oppo HA-1 plus a decent tube Amp. With average tubes in it still beats the HA-1. With good tubes it runs circles around the HA-1. I often switch between the two set at the same volume and it is night and day difference. :wink: The amp section of my Oppo HA-1 is basically retired. Only use DAC and remote volume control.

Oct 3, 2014 at 4:01 PM Post #1,787 of 5,414
I would like to add. I own the Oppo HA-1 plus a decent tube Amp. With average tubes in it still beats the HA-1. With good tubes it runs circles around the HA-1. I often switch between the two set at the same volume and it is night and day difference. :wink: The amp section of my Oppo HA-1 is basically retired. Only use DAC and remote volume control.

You upgraded to a nice class-A tube amplifier twice the price of the HA-1. I hope it sounds better.

By the way, did I see 2 HA-1 stands? Very slick.

Oct 3, 2014 at 5:13 PM Post #1,788 of 5,414
You upgraded to a nice class-A tube amplifier twice the price of the HA-1. I hope it sounds better.

By the way, did I see 2 HA-1 stands? Very slick.

Yeah I realise that. I was hoping it would. I have to say even tho I'm not using the HA-1 amp it is awfully slick. If I hadn't heard a good tube amp I would have been contented. If I had to guess I would put HA-1 at 95% as good as the tube.

Ya have to spend a lot more $$ to get that last 5%.

Yeah I couldn't think of another way to accommodate both amps. So I got two stands. The Woo stand is just spun around 180 degrees so the Oppo logo is at the back.

Oct 7, 2014 at 2:08 AM Post #1,789 of 5,414
Need help from you guys.

I am a new owner of the HA-1.

I tried to use Astell & Kern AK100  Portable Digital Player as source via optical input while I was playing online game yesterday.

I could not get any sound from the HA-1.  I tried different cable and different songs and it did not work.  Any body has similar experience?

At the moment I connect the AK100 to my old V-DAC (via optical) as source, use RCA input to the HA-1 . 

I have no problem using optical output from my laptop to HA-1 so I do not think i have a faulty HA-1.  

any idea what is the problem?

Sam

Oct 7, 2014 at 2:25 AM Post #1,790 of 5,414
  Need help from you guys.

I am a new owner of the HA-1.

I tried to use Astell & Kern AK100  Portable Digital Player as source via optical input while I was playing online game yesterday.

I could not get any sound from the HA-1.  I tried different cable and different songs and it did not work.  Any body has similar experience?

At the moment I connect the AK100 to my old V-DAC (via optical) as source, use RCA input to the HA-1 . 

I have no problem using optical output from my laptop to HA-1 so I do not think i have a faulty HA-1.  

any idea what is the problem?

Sam

Hi Sam

Did you try connecting through the HP out? IIRC, the HP out is the Optical Out instead of the Optical In interface.

Make sure to select OPTICAL on the HA-1 as source.

Does AK100 has Bluetooth? If so, you can use Bluetooth as Input too.

Oct 7, 2014 at 3:46 AM Post #1,791 of 5,414
I tried the bluetooth too. it works perfectly fine and it sounds quite good.

I do not understand why it does not work with optical output from AK100. The optical cable connection from AK100   to the MF V-DAC is fine, so I am pretty sure the way I connect them together is OK.  
frown.gif

sam

Oct 7, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #1,792 of 5,414
Hi Samsie,

This part of your story is good news:   

That pretty much indicates that your A&K is at fault.

What sample rates are you trying to play via the optical cable?  

Using the same cable that worked between your laptop and the HA-1, try 44.1kHz songs first, then if that works, go to the higher sample rates.

(It's most likely that you have already tried playing 44.1kHz files, but I thought I'd rule that out, just in case.)

Have you ever used the A&K's optical out successfully with some other DAC that accepts an optical input?

Oct 7, 2014 at 11:07 PM Post #1,793 of 5,414
  Hi Samsie,

This part of your story is good news:   

That pretty much indicates that your A&K is at fault.

What sample rates are you trying to play via the optical cable?  

Using the same cable that worked between your laptop and the HA-1, try 44.1kHz songs first, then if that works, go to the higher sample rates.

(It's most likely that you have already tried playing 44.1kHz files, but I thought I'd rule that out, just in case.)

Have you ever used the A&K's optical out successfully with some other DAC that accepts an optical input?

Yes, I did.  I used the same optical cable to connect  AK100 with MF V-DAC and Audio-gd NBF10SE without any problem (though the other two DAC  do not accept anything higher than 96KHz.  Most of my files are  44.1KHz which were ripped from CD.  ). 

I contacted the local service centre, they said there should be  something wrong with my system (In other word, they tried to convince me that it was not their problem.) I wish they were more helpful than this. 

Sam

Oct 7, 2014 at 11:19 PM Post #1,794 of 5,414
  Yes, I did.  I used the same optical cable to connect  AK100 with MF V-DAC and Audio-gd NBF10SE without any problem (though the other two DAC  do not accept anything higher than 96KHz.  Most of my files are  44.1KHz which were ripped from CD.  ). 

I contacted the local service centre, they said there should be  something wrong with my system (In other word, they tried to convince me that it was not their problem.) I wish they were more helpful than this. 

Sam

This is tricky... your AK100 optical *output* works fine to your V-DAC and NBF10, and your HA-1 optical *input* works fine from your laptop to your HA-1, and you are using the same optical cable for all of these other options as you are when trying to connect your AK100 optical out to your HA-1 optical in?  I have an AK100 that I can unpack and test with my HA-1, I believe I have tried it before but not certain, I got the AK240 before I got the HA-1, and I cannot recall it I tested the AK100 with the HA-1 or not.  In my case I have a native 3.5mm->toslink optical cable, is your cable the same, or are you using an adapter to convert a toslink optical connector on one side to 3.5mm to connect to the HA-1?  After you plug in optical cable in to your AK100 and hit play, do you see a red light on the other side of the toslink cable before you plug it into the HA-1?

Oct 7, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #1,795 of 5,414
  This is tricky... your AK100 optical *output* works fine to your V-DAC and NBF10, and your HA-1 optical *input* works fine from your laptop to your HA-1, and you are using the same optical cable for all of these other options as you are when trying to connect your AK100 optical out to your HA-1 optical in?  I have an AK100 that I can unpack and test with my HA-1, I believe I have tried it before but not certain, I got the AK240 before I got the HA-1, and I cannot recall it I tested the AK100 with the HA-1 or not.  In my case I have a native 3.5mm->toslink optical cable, is your cable the same, or are you using an adapter to convert a toslink optical connector on one side to 3.5mm to connect to the HA-1?  After you plug in optical cable in to your AK100 and hit play, do you see a red light on the other side of the toslink cable before you plug it into the HA-1?

You are correct.  I used an AUDIO TECHNICA optical cable which has a native 3.5mm plug on one side, so I guess it is almost perfect for the purpose. (It was an old one made of quartz instead of fiber glass or plastic,  I  think it is a good quality one ).  

I saw red light come out from the cable when I pull it from the HA-1.  I guess the AK100 is working OK.

Can you try if your AK100 work with HA-1 via optical cable? thanks for your help in advance

Sam

Oct 8, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #1,797 of 5,414
lol. my ears can't detect 24 bits vs 32 bits.

Oct 8, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #1,799 of 5,414

Users who are viewing this thread

Back