Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Sep 22, 2014 at 6:44 AM Post #1,756 of 5,414
Nice - thanks Herueyes. I really appreciate that. I hadn't thought of that.
I always wondered what "bonjour" was on itunes and removed that component years ago without missing it. Of course, having now researched your above suggestion, I realise that Bonjour is in fact needed to make the whole home sharing thing work so that's my next move. I'll give this a go. thanks.

Sep 22, 2014 at 2:01 PM Post #1,757 of 5,414

3. your entire itunes music library should appear on your itouch now

Peace....:L3000:  

Emphasize the "should" in Herueyes' suggestion... iOS' music player doesn't work well with large iTunes libraries, if at all. I use FileBrowser by Stratospherix to play my 16,000 track library on the iPad. Maybe Apple has fixed this in iOS 8, but I'm not counting on it.

Sep 24, 2014 at 8:26 AM Post #1,759 of 5,414
I just realized that, having previously posted this unofficial, interpolated chart for the OPPO HA-1's power output into various loads via the 4-Pin XLR jack...

661c2d62_OPPOHA-1OutputPower-Balanced.jpeg

... I had never produced a similar chart for the power output via the 6.3mm TRS jack:

418b6aaa_OPPOHA-1OutputPower-Single-Ended.jpeg

Mike

Sep 25, 2014 at 1:12 AM Post #1,760 of 5,414
Thanks Mike!

Sep 29, 2014 at 5:46 AM Post #1,762 of 5,414
Come on Oppo give us some basic tone controls. Your DAC is very bright. Too bright.

Giving us real basic bass / treble controls will really help tame the harshness.

Beginning to bother me. Might have to change.

You already have the graphic. Keep it the same as the volume control. Just have to issue firmware.

Sep 29, 2014 at 7:19 AM Post #1,763 of 5,414
I don't find it bright, it's perfect for me :)

Sep 29, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #1,765 of 5,414
Come on Oppo give us some basic tone controls. Your DAC is very bright. Too bright.

Giving us real basic bass / treble controls will really help tame the harshness.

You already have the graphic. Keep it the same as the volume control. Just have to issue firmware.

Tone controls?  BAH.   It's perfect just the way it is.  imho that is 
rolleyes.gif

Sep 29, 2014 at 3:42 PM Post #1,766 of 5,414
If you didn't want to use tone controls you wouldn't have to use them.

However it would be great for users who do find it way to bright.

I chucked my Arcam rDac back into the mix a few days ago and everything came alive. Music had personality again. The Oppo might be neutral however it is boring, lifeless and clinical. With just a tad of treble control it could be a lot better. Basically everything is there to do it as well. Just add tone controls at the end of the menu and use the volume graphic for the interface.

Sep 29, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #1,767 of 5,414

I chucked my Arcam rDac back into the mix a few days ago and everything came alive. Music had personality again. The Oppo might be neutral however it is boring, lifeless and clinical. With just a tad of treble control it could be a lot better. Basically everything is there to do it as well. Just add tone controls at the end of the menu and use the volume graphic for the interface.

You appear using only the dac part of HA-1, and finding it bright.
I would not consider the Oppo in this case even if it came with tone control - loss of fidelity and tone control likely on the amp part.
Why not keeping the rDac or getting some other non bright dac, e.g. Metrum Octave ?

Sep 29, 2014 at 4:29 PM Post #1,768 of 5,414
  You appear using only the dac part of HA-1, and finding it bright.
I would not consider the Oppo in this case even if it came with tone control - loss of fidelity and tone control likely on the amp part.
Why not keeping the rDac or getting some other non bright dac, e.g. Metrum Octave ?

Yeah. I think I have to do that. Pity. I had a soft spot for the Oppo. However now it seems to be the weak link in the chain.

Sep 29, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #1,769 of 5,414

How does a headphone amp/DAC with a very flat frequency response denote a very bright response, that would be the fault of the source or the headphones utilized?

Example

Some people like tone controls, but they are a source of distortion adding additional circuitry in the path of converting digital to analog. With a strictly class A design with a analog volume knob, adding Bass and Treble tone shaping options wouldn't be desirable IMHO.   Its better to utilize that from the source be that a computer with audiophile software, or a hi-res portable player for example that has equalization adjustments.

Yeah. I think I have to do that. Pity. I had a soft spot for the Oppo. However now it seems to be the weak link in the chain.

How much experience do you have with other headphone amp/DAC's that provide that.  Got examples?

Sep 29, 2014 at 8:57 PM Post #1,770 of 5,414
  How does a headphone amp/DAC with a very flat frequency response denote a very bright response, that would be the fault of the source or the headphones utilized?

Example

Some people like tone controls, but they are a source of distortion adding additional circuitry in the path of converting digital to analog. With a strictly class A design with a analog volume knob, adding Bass and Treble tone shaping options wouldn't be desirable IMHO.   Its better to utilize that from the source be that a computer with audiophile software, or a hi-res portable player for example that has equalization adjustments.
How much experience do you have with other headphone amp/DAC's that provide that.  Got examples?

I get ya. I know. The Oppo is a very flat DAC. Not trying to pick a scrap here or anything. However to my ears it is boring. No warmth.
I understand that tone controls distort. Many great sound devices distort. Look at tubes, distort beautifully. It can add character.

I used the Senny HD700 headphones with the Oppo HA-1 and it was just unusable. I switched to Audeze LCD-3 headphones a lot better. I now don't use the HA-1 as a amp. I just use it as a DAC and send it to my Marantz Power amps for speakers and Woo WA22. The Woo sounds even better again, just a tad too bright. The Marantz sounded awful using the Oppo HA-1. The Marantz DAC was way better. However guess what the Marantz has tone controls. Add a little distortion (lowered the treble a few notches) and Wow. Perfect.

I also added the Arcam rDac back into the mix. What a great DAC. Warm and lush. Everything the Oppo is not. I think I might just add that back into the chain and feed it to the Oppo and then on to other equipment. A real waste tho. The only thing I would use the Oppo for would be volume control.
rolleyes.gif

Stick tone controls on the HA-1 and then I wouldn't need the Arcam. Things will be simpler and great. I think Oppo will learn from years to come. Flat is not usually the best. Manufactures like Arcam (the first company to make an external DAC for a CD player) and Marantz have that knowledge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back