Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Sep 16, 2014 at 11:21 AM Post #1,726 of 5,414
I don't want to bother with what seems like a tiny dust sound in very end position of volume pot. I checked today and it not actually like a dust sound.
A tiny scratch sound at very end of max volume position makes me think it's just the electrical sound of the pot contact rubbing over the unused end of dial.
Rather than dust it may be extra substance that make the dial move smooth. .

Has no effect on sound though and only noticable when moved with no music or I would blow up my headphones lol.

Sep 16, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #1,727 of 5,414

I have been using since release day. Never had a scratchy volume. Sure I get that over step of the volume control. However it doesn't bother me.

I use low gain. Balanced Output on Audeze LCD-3.

How do you set the gain level ? I must be a dummy, I had this amp for few months now and not knowing you can do this.

thks in advance,.

Sep 16, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #1,729 of 5,414

How do you set the gain level ? I must be a dummy, I had this amp for few months now and not knowing you can do this.

thks in advance,.

Press the source button (don't turn it). It operates as a menu button. Keep pressing until you get to the gain menu. Then turn to high gain. Press source again. You will hear a click. That means Hi-Gain is set.

Sep 16, 2014 at 8:45 PM Post #1,730 of 5,414
oh !,,, thanks guys !

Sep 16, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #1,731 of 5,414
Hey Hastur err Derek... Why this thing took a whole week (7days) to get from the West Coast to the East Coast???

Ordered a Teac UD-501 mid week and it showed up same day as the HA-1... and the Teac was via USPS....

NeWayz....

Here the Teac is feeding the HA-1 via XLR... (DSD baby DSD!!)

Yeah I know blasphemy in this thread but I'm using the Teac

to test out the HA-1's various inputs and outputs and vice-versa...

Ya gotta do a proper shakedown...
wink_face.gif

Peace...
L3000.gif

Sep 16, 2014 at 11:53 PM Post #1,733 of 5,414
  You will love the Teac as a DAC. Used to have the UD-501 and in my opinion it sounds better than the Sabre DAC in the Oppo, and not as tiring to listen to.

I hear that... I already have the UD-H01 feeding my Mjolnir... only reason for the UD-501 is for the DSD feature...

I actually let my co-worker unbox and test out the HA-1 in his office...

He was doing a head to head with his ifi nano idsd dac

He bought in his Audeze's & trusty SuperLux HD 681

I bought in my Senn HD 800's and Grado PS 500

(you can barely make out the ifi next to the HA-1 in the pic)

Meanwhile on the otherside of the office building I was wayyyy
too busy enjoying the Teac with my SoundMagic HP100's...
wink_face.gif

Hey old yella'...I mean Hastur/Derek... can we get some EQ'ing

or tone settings (bass + treble) like my Teac NP-H750 & FIIO E17

or perhaps a DSD analog FIR filter like the Teac UD-501 has?

You know A little Something to Take the Edge Off...

- Peace...
L3000.gif

Sep 17, 2014 at 1:11 AM Post #1,734 of 5,414

Unfortunately we only have black available for review samples as the silver units were manufactured after the black units. Surprisingly, no one has returned a silver unit for a refund. Hmm... maybe we should stop selling black units...

Every one knows the black ones are faster..  :wink:

Now ya'll know I couldn't let the above slide....

Hey Hastur you say no one's returned a silver one yet?

Hmmm... and to think I just got my silver one Yesterday....

30 days Huhh... Well old yella' methinks you might see one 

coming your way sooner than that... Derek RMA Please!!!!
blink.gif

I mean all could be forgiven if say I were to receive a nice

new jet black(non-demo)  HA-1 with a matching stand or

perhaps a BDP-105D - you know the Darbee Edition or

perhaps a matching set of Headphones...you know The

PM-1 and PM-2 with Balanced cables and Headphone

Stands - Yes everything has to come with it's own stand..... 

I told you before Hastur...  
deadhorse.gif

Peace...
L3000.gif

P.S. You can ask Derek where to send the Schiit!!!

Sep 17, 2014 at 3:03 AM Post #1,735 of 5,414
  Hey Hastur err Derek... Why this thing took a whole week (7days) to get from the West Coast to the East Coast???

FedEx Ground is 5 business days, starting with the day after the package is physically picked up, to reach the East Coast from California. USPS may be faster in some cases, but they also are less reliable in terms of quality of service (tracking, tracing, redirecting, etc). So we prefer FedEx over USPS as our default courier.

Quote:

Hey Hastur you say no one's returned a silver one yet?

No, there have been returns. I was just having a little fun with the fact that we could only send a black unit for the Head-Fi meet because the all returned silver units have been claimed (either for in-house use or for reviewers who find them more photogenic).

Sep 17, 2014 at 4:20 AM Post #1,736 of 5,414
  Has anyone else had issues with the info display?  I'm using the asio driver with no extra processing in jriver media center, and all mp3's are playing back in 44.1/32.  All redbook rips seem to playback accurately at 44.1/16 and most 96/24 files play back accurately, with the exception of two dvd audio rips which are listed at 96/24, but play back in 96/16.  I don't believe this was happening with my Schiit Bifrost, but then again, It didn't have an LCD display.

any Info?  Thanks.

I've seen some of this also, and chatted with MattTCG a little about it.  I've got a Rush HDtracks album that's 96/24, shows up as 96/16.  I think this is just the DAC detecting all bits above 16 as zero's, which seems to indicate that these files are an upsample, and there is not 24bits of data there.  Some google searches confirmed others seeing the same on DVD-A rips of the same album. 

I also occasionally see the DAC report 32 bit on output for lossy files, it just appears to be processing those as 32 bit in JRiver, so it's outputting a bunch of extra zero's to the DAC.  Sometimes after a few moments it switches down to 16. Like you, my previous DAC (ODAC) didn't display anything so I couldn't see this before.  I think this is fine.

I also see mp3s play back as 44.1/32, so it's not just you. I think this is correct, but not sure why. If you load an mp3 file into Adobe Audition it also shows it as 32-bit, btw.

I've been getting PCM XXX.X/32 on the display for everything using the following drivers

OPPO USB AUDIO 2.0 ASIO Driver [ASIO]  & the OPPO HA-1 USB AUDIO 2.0 DAC [WASAPI]  (via JRiver MC19)

did some reading about the audio path and tried the 

OPPO HA-1 USB AUDIO 2.0 DAC [Direct Sound]

and that correctly gives the PCM XXX.X/16  and PCM XXX.X/24 on the Display

I clicked on a DSD file (.DFF) and got back

Hope This Helps....

P.S. I have some 48/16 files that show up as 44.1/16 and that's with the [Direct Sound] driver...
        Maybe a firmware update will cure all this or not??? 
blink.gif

Peace... 
L3000.gif

Sep 17, 2014 at 7:08 AM Post #1,738 of 5,414
I do not understand the need of Teac UD-501 or am I missing something ?
Oppo play DSD no ?
Only thing I can see is having two DACs for separate channel, can you explain the benefit of having Teac DAC ?

thanks !

Sep 17, 2014 at 7:15 AM Post #1,739 of 5,414
  DSD files should read DSD 2.8XXXX or DSD 5.6XXXX if set up for native mode

With JRiver MC19 - I have to change the Output Encoding to "DSD in DoP format (requires DSD capable DAC)"

There's No "Native" option - only DoP for DSD 2.8XXXX  

For DSD 5.6XXXX There's two options "Native" and "DoP"

Peace...
L3000.gif

Sep 17, 2014 at 8:07 AM Post #1,740 of 5,414
  I do not understand the need of Teac UD-501 or am I missing something ?
Oppo play DSD no ?
Only thing I can see is having two DACs for separate channel, can you explain the benefit of having Teac DAC ?

thanks !

What The??? Are you serious????
blink.gif

Have you ever been skiing?? You see all these people going up the mountain just to come back down right???

and then they go up again to come back down again... and then the Empire...

OK scratch that bad analogy....

OK How many headphones/iem's/dacs do you have?? Now ask yourself - Why do I have more than one of each???

If you still don't get it then perhaps you should take the Pepsi err...

Headphone Challenge!!

Head-fiers who possesses no more than 1 dac/headphone can cast the first stone!

(Blindfolded of course!!)

Disclaimer: In no way should this be attempted by 1 dac/headphone Head-fiers...(if any actually exist)

Peace...
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back